LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-15, 2:35pm

Anybody know what kind of shipping Dave is using? My mail came and went another day. gayle
Old 2008-09-15, 2:39pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

USPS for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-09-15, 3:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle janczarek View Post
Anybody know what kind of shipping Dave is using? My mail came and went another day. gayle
Hi Gayle

Priority Mail, and it should be there by tomorrow. I checked your delivery confirmation tracking #. It left missouri 9-14 after arriving at a sorting facility in a different town, and it looks like it will probably be at your door in the morning. That's my guess.

Now try and think about something else till tomorrow.

Regards,
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-09-15, 7:55pm
are we there yet?

Thanks Dave, for replying to my email and clarifying the shipping charges. Now I just get to wait in anticipation . . . .

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well make beads. jazz
Old 2008-09-15, 8:27pm
BrakerBeads

Ok...I ordered it. And didn't realize fully I needed the 4.37 peg. So then I went back to order that too. Doofas me!
Looking forward to it......it's my bday present!! But I will likely get it way after my bday on the 25th. I will just have to wait.

BTW, I got the auto-notification email.....nicely done!! ~NancyB

Because Beads are Necessary for Life Force!

Old 2008-09-16, 9:17am
are we there yet?

Well, now I'm starting to wonder if I should have ordered the 4.37 peg. What is the standard size that comes with the tool? I guess I better go back and re-read this thread again. My big hole beads have an ID of 3/32. Should I get different sized mandrels or a different sized peg for the Impress?

I did get my tube cutter, flat file and a half round file last night at Lowe's.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well make beads. jazz
Old 2008-09-16, 9:21am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

the peg you need depends on the tubing you are using. It comes standard with a peg that fits 1/4" tubing, if I recall correctly. The bulk buys that have been run recently use a 4.37 mm tubing/peg. 3/32 isnt' really a big hole bead. I use 3/32 as my standard mandrel. Lining a bead with anything less than the 4.37mm silver tubing will not be big enough to fit on any of the bracelets like Pandora, Biagi etc.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-16, 12:47pm
are we there yet?

Thanks, Squid. Dave, could you please add a 4.37 mm post in with my order and let me know how much more I owe you. Thanks.

Old 2008-09-16, 1:47pm
are we there yet?

Squid, I just realized that I should have said 3/16" I use that size mandrel for my big hole beads. Doh, I'm such a dyslexic when it comes to fractions. You are right, 3/32 would not be considered a big hole bead by any means.

Old 2008-09-16, 4:29pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Ah ok - I was wondering . A 3/16" with a single dip will fit the bulk buy tubing, which is what the 4.37 mandrel fits. You can also buy it direct - the info is in post 6 of this thread:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=pandora

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-16, 7:02pm

"Now try and think about something else till tomorrow", another day came and went. gayle
Old 2008-09-16, 7:21pm

Dave, I have just a thought - perhaps you could set up a "shipped orders" web page? For instance, it would be just a text page that looks like this:

Orders shipped Sept. 16
Mary S., IL
Jane J., NY
Sue L., KY

Orders shipped Sept. 17
Jenny K., AR
Kelly R., OH

It is simple and low-tech, but this way people can just look at the page to see when their orders shipped. I think it might save a little time to just type out a few names and updating a web page when you consider the time that you are spending coming here, reading the thread and replying to questions one at a time.

Or, if you print shipping labels from USPS.com, you can add the customer's e-mail address so they are notified of the ship date.

Of course, I have no idea what you are doing right now to notify customers, but I'm seeing a lot of "when was my order shipped" questions.

Don't want to nose into your biz, but it was just a thought I had as I was reading through this thead. I remembered that someone I used to buy rubber stamps from had a page like this on her website.

Old 2008-09-17, 7:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle janczarek View Post
"Now try and think about something else till tomorrow", another day came and went. gayle
That was only a joke. Hope it didn't make you mad. I can't do anything to speed up the USPS. I realize you've had a very long wait. Sorry for that.

Just tracked your package. It arrived at your local PO at 3:35 AM 9-17. These seem to be taking a bit longer enroute than the BeaDreamers do. Should be there in your mail today, 9-17.

Regards,
Dave

Old 2008-09-17, 8:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz's glass View Post
Squid, I just realized that I should have said 3/16" I use that size mandrel for my big hole beads. Doh, I'm such a dyslexic when it comes to fractions. You are right, 3/32 would not be considered a big hole bead by any means.
There is also a peg expressly for 3/16 OD tubing. I THINK that tubing will work for Troll and Biagi, but it is too small for Pandora.

3/16 .188 inch OD / .156 inch ID (4.8 mm OD / 4.0 mm ID)

The 4.37 mm ID is the smallest that will fit Pandora and the tubing is available in the bulk buy Squid mentioned above. The 1/4 inch OD / .218 inch ID tubing will fit all three, but the hole is bigger than necessary. Still looks nice IMO. That tubing is Rio Grande part # 100-907/14. The toll free # to order is 800 545 6566. www.riogrande.com.

All of the available pegs and the specs for their respective tubing are in the drop-down box on my ordering page.

Dave

Old 2008-09-17, 9:08am
are we there yet?

Thanks, Dave. I ordered some 4.3 tubing so I guess I'd better stick with the 4.3 peg. I'll go to your website and place the order. Will you be able to combine it with my previous order so that I don't have to pay shipping twice?

Old 2008-09-17, 2:53pm
BeadsonCypress

I have been reading and reading..I know the press is $85.00 but pegs? Shipping by USPS to NJ???

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2008-09-17, 3:18pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Pegs are $6 - they're on his order page.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-17, 5:45pm
Gay rights R human rights

Ok I caved. Ordered mine today.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-09-18, 8:29am

I LOVE IT! It really is as easy to use as everyone said.

I'm sorry I don't have time to post pics right now. Will try to get some posted soon!

Thanks Dave!!!!

Amy
Old 2008-09-18, 10:33am

Got mine yesterday and lined some beads last night. It's easy to use. I just need to get better at cleaning up the tube edges so the finished rivet will be smoother. I did break one bead already but I'm sure it was operator error. The beadliner is a great tool and Dave's instructions were very helpful.

Last edited by msritaa; 2008-09-18 at 10:35am.
Old 2008-09-18, 1:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
There is also a peg expressly for 3/16 OD tubing. I THINK that tubing will work for Troll and Biagi, but it is too small for Pandora.

3/16 .188 inch OD / .156 inch ID (4.8 mm OD / 4.0 mm ID)

The 4.37 mm ID is the smallest that will fit Pandora and the tubing is available in the bulk buy Squid mentioned above. The 1/4 inch OD / .218 inch ID tubing will fit all three, but the hole is bigger than necessary. Still looks nice IMO. That tubing is Rio Grande part # 100-907/14. The toll free # to order is 800 545 6566. www.riogrande.com.

All of the available pegs and the specs for their respective tubing are in the drop-down box on my ordering page.

Dave
Dave,

The RioGrande tubing is NOT the 4.37mm ID. The Rio Grande tubing has a thicker wall and thus does not fit the Biagi or Pandora chains. Biagi and Pandora use the same size tubing.

The 4.37mm ID tubing is the custom size I had developed for Fits-Pandora tubing for their chains. It is available anytime from Indian Jewelers Supply (part # STTB27x5mm) or I run bulk buys now and then for it. If I ever get ahead of shipping bulk buys, I plan on putting some on my Etsy store.

Hope that helps clarify the size issue.

-debbi

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-09-18, 1:48pm

Sounds like you are getting caught up on orders? Time to order mine, since I wasn't in a hurry.

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-09-18, 1:52pm
I need more boro stuff

Hi Dave,

I'm wondering, if I order 5mm OD 4.1mm ID peg or 5.5mm OD 4.2mm ID, can I still use any of these pegs for 4.37mm ID tubing?

Old 2008-09-18, 1:59pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I finally ordered one of these the other night!

I tried hand dapping several rivets and there is a learning curve. I broke one bead. The other three don't look too bad but for the amount of time that I put into them they should look a lot better! I think this tool will pay for itself quickly

Old 2008-09-18, 5:33pm
Angel's Mom

Got mine yesterday. THANKS, Dave!

My dumb job keeps interferring with my bead time! Bad job!
Old 2008-09-18, 7:19pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by msritaa View Post
Got mine yesterday and lined some beads last night. It's easy to use. I just need to get better at cleaning up the tube edges so the finished rivet will be smoother.
Hey Rita - I was having the same problem too with the edges of my rivets looking bad. I started out using a tubing cutter and this is what I was getting:

I switched over to a small jewlers saw and it made all the difference in the world!! If anyone else is having trouble getting their caps nice and smooth, try a little saw instead of a tube cutter. My results were a million times better on my first try with a saw.

Just a little tidbit for anyone who might not be getting nice results . . . . I know alot of people are using a tubing cutter successfully, but for me it just wasn't working out right.

SO, with that being said, my latest results are much better and my caps are perfect:

I've finished about 50 beads using Dave's tool and I REEEALY like it!! Once you develop a system, it goes very quickly and easily. I've found that I get the best results if I just do 1/2 turn each time from the beginning. It probably causes me to do one more "flip" sequence, but I like the way the caps turn out if I just do a little bit at a time and don't try to go a full turn.

I'm so happy Dave has made this tool available, I enjoy using it and I'm very happy with my results.

Old 2008-09-18, 7:35pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I am using a small tubing cutter and they are perfectly smooth. It looks like you didn't use a round file on the inside edge of the tool - and also that you might have been turning the cutter a little too much for each step. I use a round (or half round) file to file the inside edge of each end of the cut tube and then use a flat file across the top of the end to do a final smoothing.

Are you using a tubing cutter thingy with your saw? I have tried to saw tubing and could not get it straight to save my life!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-18, 7:44pm

I'm using a small tube cutter too, and mine are smooth without filing. I am loving the Impress too! Sooo much easier than the dapping method.

Lisa

Old 2008-09-18, 8:06pm
Sorry for party rockin'

It must've been me and something about the way I was using the cutter . . . trust me, I filed and smoothed the tubing (inside and out) after I cut it and no matter what I did, it turned out cruddy.
Once I switched to a jewlers saw, it never happened again!

Old 2008-09-18, 9:05pm

Hi,

If you see edges like that, what you are seeing is the burr you left inside the tubing when cutting. It is either a dull cutter wheel or cranking down too much at a time. Follow the directions on the site re cotting tubing to minimize that. But after reading these last few posts, I see it is time (past time) for the deburring tool to be available, so I will work on them tomorrow. I'll try and get it on the site for purchase asap.

It completely eliminates all that in two or three seconds, literally. I really should have had that out there already. My Bad. Check the thread tomorrow afternoon.

'Night,
Dave