Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2012-05-18, 1:24pm
professional gimme fiver

Default Google +1 Help

Here's the code Google +1 generated for me to insert into my site where I want the +1 button to go:
HTML Code:
<!-- Place this tag where you want the +1 button to render -->
<g:plusone></g:plusone>

<!-- Place this render call where appropriate -->
<script type="text/javascript">
  (function() {
    var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true;
    po.src = 'https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js';
    var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);
  })();
</script>
What does this mean: <!-- Place this render call where appropriate --> ??
Where's it supposed to go?

Next question.....
Google +1 says to put the following code into the <head> section of my site:
HTML Code:
<!-- Update your html tag to include the itemscope and itemtype attributes -->
<html itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Blog">

<!-- Add the following three tags inside head -->
<meta itemprop="name" content="Almost Gothic">
<meta itemprop="description" content="I'm a 30-something SRA lampwork glass bead artist living on the Big Island of Hawaii and I believe that life is too short to do or be something that you don't love!">
<meta itemprop="image" content="http://almost-gothic.squarespace.com/storage/BellydanceImage2.jpg">
Which I did, and I keep getting this error message:
Could not parse your site header code. Are you inserting invalid XML? Error: Error on line 3 of document : Attribute name "itemscope" associated with an element type "html" must be followed by the ' = ' character. Nested exception: Attribute name "itemscope" associated with an element type "html" must be followed by the ' = ' character.

First of all, where is this:
HTML Code:
<!-- Update your html tag to include the itemscope and itemtype attributes -->
<html itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Blog">
supposed to go? What html am I supposed to be updating?

Secondly, how am I supposed to correct the code to make it parsable? Every time I correct the error as directed, it keeps spitting the same error message out at me. What am I doing wrong?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-18, 1:35pm
ManBearPig

As for your first question...

The first part goes wherever you want the button to show up. The script can go anywhere between the opening and closing body tags. I generally put scripts either the very first or very last thing.

As for the second part...

The three meta tags go anywhere between the opening and closing head tags. The html tag that you need to update is the very first tag in the document. Actually, it's probably right after the doctype tag. I wouldn't replace it though. I would paste the code excluding the opening and closing brackets and the "html" into the current html tag you have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-05-20, 2:50pm
professional gimme fiver

Thanks Cosmo, I'll give those suggestions a try.

Old 2012-05-21, 6:39am
ManBearPig

Of course, I will add this...

Google+ is pretty much a ghost town. I don't know anyone who actually uses it...