Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-02-23, 6:33pm

Question fuming

I know a lot of you use silver and gold leaf and foil to fume but who uses coins? If you use coins where is the cheapest place online to get it? I found some on Winship Designs site but then they emailed me they were out of it. It was the only one I specifically found labeled for fuming. I am sure there are other options out there for coins or other more solid solutions but I am just not sure what I am looking for.
Thanks
Evie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need custom made price tags? Check out my friend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! Mention my name.
I LOVE these cards, plus they make life a little easier when getting ready for shows!

Old 2006-02-23, 6:38pm
ManBearPig

Ebay.

You just have to know what you are looking for. Get the one with the most 9's in the purity.

But, I use gold wire for fuming, and silver powder for fuming. Silver powder is a byproduct of the printing industry, so I get all I want for free. I may even be persuaded to part with some if anyone wants some...

Old 2006-02-23, 7:12pm

Another option for fuming gold (22-24K) is to check out the local ethnic jewelers. If you have any South Asian, South Indian, or Chinese jewelers you can sometime buy a small section of wire from them. I know one guy who bought a 24K simple gold chain, and just clips off a link whenever he need gold for fuming. He has been using the same chain for over 10 years and hasn't used all that many links. And he fumes a lot!

Eric
Old 2006-02-23, 7:22pm
Fusing Glass

Raises hand for silver powder. and how might I get onto that list please?
Old 2006-02-23, 7:28pm
on hiatus...

On eBay, you can also search for "ingot" (just ignore me if you already knew that)

Steph
Old 2006-02-23, 7:58pm
Just me

Oh please for some silver powder?!

Old 2006-02-23, 8:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Ebay.

You just have to know what you are looking for. Get the one with the most 9's in the purity.

But, I use gold wire for fuming, and silver powder for fuming. Silver powder is a byproduct of the printing industry, so I get all I want for free. I may even be persuaded to part with some if anyone wants some...
now you started something!
I would love some silver powder to play with, purrty purreeze!
Old 2006-02-23, 8:17pm

okay silver powder sounds wonderful. what hoops shall I jump through?

A.
Old 2006-02-23, 8:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
okay silver powder sounds wonderful. what hoops shall I jump through?

A.
I asked first, I asked first!!!!

! Mention my name.
I LOVE these cards, plus they make life a little easier when getting ready for shows!

Old 2006-02-23, 8:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph'sBeadCorner
On eBay, you can also search for "ingot" (just ignore me if you already knew that)

Steph
Didn't know that, Thanks!

! Mention my name.

Old 2006-02-23, 11:51pm
PyronamixK

If you're the outdoors/adventuresome type, you could pan some yourself.

I bought a small section of gold wire from GlassCraft. Oh, you might also get a small rod of quartz for a fuming punty.
Old 2006-02-24, 6:38am
ManBearPig

Ask around at your local print shop or anywhere that develops film for photographs. It's a byproduct of developing negatives. Most of them have pounds of it sitting around.

You can also pour it out and roll stuff in it like frit...

Old 2006-02-24, 10:32am

Quote:
Ask around at your local print shop or anywhere that develops film for photographs. It's a byproduct of developing negatives. Most of them have pounds of it sitting around.

You can also pour it out and roll stuff in it like frit...
We only have a couple of places here and I called about it. They all have contracts with companies that take th powder. They were all very snippy about it too.

! Mention my name.

Old 2006-02-24, 10:33am
ManBearPig

Those companies give them about 20¢ per pound. Offer them a couple bucks.

Or PM me your address...

Old 2006-02-24, 3:42pm
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by evenia
We only have a couple of places here and I called about it. They all have contracts with companies that take th powder. They were all very snippy about it too.
Lol Evie, I've been on the phone quite a bit today hunting this down too. I got some of the same attitude and most had no idea what I was talking about.

Old 2006-02-25, 5:09pm

Default oh good lord

I won an auction on eBay for a gold coin to fume with. I didn't notice they don't accept paypal. Now this is my fault of course but they don't accept anything but personal checks and MO's. arggghhhhh. It seems odd to me that they have so many auctions on eBay but don't a online payment option. I'm just grumpy though cause that means I have to wait extra time before I get to fume with gold.

! Mention my name.

Old 2006-02-25, 8:17pm
on hiatus...

Hey Julie

Do you have any gold foil? If not, I can bring you a sheet. all you have to do is "wad" it up. Karla did it so she can help.

Steph
Old 2006-02-26, 8:31am
oxygen deprived

It looks like some of the gilding supply places have silver & gold powder. I didn't realize that our leaf & foil came from the gilding market - kinda interesting.

(no beads for sale yet - but some pics of old work)
Old 2006-02-26, 9:18am
Formerly SirWatson

Yeah, I used gold foil. It was very hard to wad up, but it did the trick. Use some clean tweezers as the foil will stick to almost anything.

I recently bought a few inches of gold wire to try, so I'll give a full report once I know what that works.

<><
Old 2006-02-26, 11:31am
Facebook addict

This could be a "dumb" question but, could you use 14k gold? I was thinking about trying the fuming with old broken chains that I have laying around.

Mini cc w/2, 5 lpm concentrators
Old 2006-02-26, 5:02pm
ManBearPig

I use 22k gold. The purer the gold, the better the fume. 24k is just too pure. The 22k sticks to the glass better.

Old 2006-02-26, 6:14pm

I only have a couple of sheets of gold foil. They are so expensive and I want to save them for beads. It's cheaper to buy the coins and they last longer. I let you know how they work, when I get them.

! Mention my name.

Old 2006-02-27, 5:16pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
I use 22k gold. The purer the gold, the better the fume. 24k is just too pure. The 22k sticks to the glass better.
And sometimes, the impurities can give pretty colors.

If you're having trouble getting the gold fume to stick, you can try fuming with silver first and then fume gold over that.
Old 2006-02-28, 6:36am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster
And sometimes, the impurities can give pretty colors.

If you're having trouble getting the gold fume to stick, you can try fuming with silver first and then fume gold over that.
The only problem with that is you don't get a pure gold color. I find as long as I get the glass a little hot, the fume sticks fine. I have had occasions where I fumed silver after the gold and it worked, but still not a pure gold color.

If any of you get Glass Line magazine, there is a great article in the June/July 2005 issue by Kenan Tiemeyer that tells all about fuming.