No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-07, 9:40am
I think I could be a bead

Default Rubino I'm having no luck

About the only time I use rubino is in stringer form and encased. A customer has asked me to make her some spacer beads (12mm) using rubino and some with silver wire. Yikes! Any suggestions? I'm not having much luck with keeping the beautiful pink. Suggestions? Help?
Thanks,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-09-07, 9:45am
maybe tomorrow

Encase the rubino, then add the wire wrap. And maybe a white core to make the rubino pop more.

Old 2010-09-07, 10:02am
I speak Murrini!

Great suggestions so far! My best luck with Rubino is to work it COOL in the back of the flame so as not to evoke that nasty, metallic haze that always leaves black yuckie streaks. Work in a neutral flame or slightly oxy rich flame to help prevent reduction also.

Good luck...hope it works out for you!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-09-07, 1:32pm

Thanks!

Old 2010-09-07, 2:54pm
Lampworkaholic!

I like it over a clear base. It is too intense to use alone. It reacts with silver, so I'm not sure what will happen when you add silver wire.

Another option is Veiled Rubino, which is less fussy and reactive and makes lovely base beads.

Also consider R104 Pink Lady or Gold Violet which are in the same color range but much more stable than Rubino.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-09-07, 2:58pm

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Old 2010-09-07, 3:13pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

Fine silver wire applied directly to rubino will be ugly, unless you're looking for the reactive look as you would see with ivory or turquoise. Ask me how I know.

Old 2010-09-07, 6:22pm

Thanks, Evelyn. That's what I was afraid would happen. My customer suggested it might look good! I'll make one bead to show her and that's it.

Old 2010-09-07, 6:25pm
More ideas than talent

You would probably need to encase the rubino afterwards in clear before you added the silver to stop the reaction.

Old 2010-09-07, 7:49pm

That's a good idea! I'll try that, too. I hadn't thought of it.

Old 2010-09-09, 6:45pm

It's ben my experience that when silver foil is on clear it gets a yellowish look. Does silver wire act the same way on clear?
Old 2010-09-10, 6:41am
Life is change. Love it

Yes it does, but it can be prevented by working it very quickly - wrap, melt fast, and into the kiln

Old 2010-09-10, 6:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzy B View Post
It's ben my experience that when silver foil is on clear it gets a yellowish look. Does silver wire act the same way on clear?
It can if you work it too long like Carolyn says. If you just make sure it is the very last thing you do once you've encased your base bead and the bead is otherwise ready to go in the kiln, it should be fine. I do it all the time.
Old 2010-09-10, 6:15pm

Veiled rubino is amazing and lovely...

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-09-11, 2:36pm
addicted to dichro

Always encase with clear and work it way high in the flame until it's encased. Veiled rubino is gorgeous but it's a much lighter pink, or my batch was anyway, which I love but it may not be just the color your customer is looking for.