Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-13, 9:16pm
Administrator

Default Press seller on ebay

I recently got a press from here:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsofocusZ...fclZ3QQfrppZ50
coonvallyb on ebay and have to tell you that the press is awsome!

It is the saturn one and it it so easy to use and the shape is great! The prices are very reasonable as well.

I just thought I would bring it to your attention. It looks as though if they do not have what you would like size or shape wise that they will make it for you as well.

I also got the press about 4 days after I ordered it. Very fast shipping!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-06-14, 5:59am
Crispy Critter

I have his 20 mm coin press, and loved it so much that I also bought the 15 mm. I love them because 1) you don't have to buy a base, 2) they're SO easy to use, and 3) they're MUCH less expensive than some of the other presses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-06-14, 9:42am
Ghost Town Glass

Thanks for the info. I saw those and wondered if they were any good.
Old 2005-06-15, 12:39pm
Life in the slow lane

Thank you for the information. I just purchased a large lentil press.
Old 2005-06-16, 6:13am
Redhot Torch Mama

Thanks for that link - that's great information!

Kelly
Old 2005-06-16, 3:37pm
Life in the slow lane

I went back a second time last night and purchase the flying saucer. Thank you again for the link.

Old 2005-06-17, 4:28am
The Grand Foobah

Ok, I'm sorry but I have to comment as this has really burned me since I first saw these peoples auctions. Way cheaper? They're comparing apples to oranges. You get one size of a shape with each press versus three sizes with each press as is done by other tool makers. Having three sizes requires more brass and more time to make which will automatically increase your tool price. They're pulling the wool over your eyes with the whole cheaper than them routine. I have other ethical issues with this seller, but I'll stick with just the facts as stated above.

Well, that's a way to start my morning off with a bang

Foofaraw is a style. An attitude. A fresh glimmer of fun. Foofaraw is unique.
Old 2005-06-17, 7:07am
A True Woofer

OK, Jenn, I'm finishing it. It also ticks me off to see people who have copied Amy's design - the pins I'm talking about. Cheesy cheesy. Apparently, in the bead world, it's not OK to copy someone's bead, but it IS ok to copy someone's tool design. Or to steal it outright from under them.

Old 2005-06-17, 10:44am
The Grand Foobah

Thank you for putting that into words for me Ellen! I couldn't figure out how to do it without turning it into a three page rant that needed to be in the Bathroom!

Old 2005-06-17, 10:59am

Thanks Jenn and Ellen for saying exactly what I was thinking
Old 2005-06-17, 11:08am
Life in the slow lane

I agree on some points. The pin design is not unique in the world of tools. My next door neighbor is a machinist and has all kinds of ideas to make the designs better including different pins. I told him how I love/dislike the CBS because of the lack of pins.

My second thought is that they offer a larger variety of sizes than the other tool makers. I like that they have larger sizes at affordable prices. Would I buy three small sizes at the same price? Maybe, maybe not. I guess it really depends on need and if I like what I purchased before. If the machinist has a computerized machine it is no problem setting it up for one or three different holes. If they are handmade it's a different story.

I guess I'm saying there is a market out there and there will be competition. You can't say just because one maker has pins that another can't have them or it's copying. It's not. Besides competition keeps things affordable.

Last edited by starlia; 2005-06-17 at 11:10am.
Old 2005-06-21, 11:26pm
Glass Addict!

Saying someone copied the pin design on a press is like saying someone copied the spots on a beginners bead!
The pin design is very common in many tools since man started making tools.
Diana

Old 2005-06-22, 8:30am
Rich in Friends...

Default Have to comment...

The manufacturer of this bead press is the husband of one of my students. He started by making some prototypes for me using other designs. I had bought several other types of presses and told him that the pins are definitely easiest for me to work with, and he made me one to my measurements.. 30mm accross by 15mm thick. I absolutely love it.

He is retired and was first interested in making the tools because the prices put them out of reach for his wife. Necessity is the mother of invention. Do we disparage someone for competing in this market?

I must tell you, I love this new forum, I started by visiting the tutorials and was so happy to see the generosity and spirit of friendship. I would even like to contribute! I hope very sincerely not to offend anyone. I saw what happened to the ISGB Forum 3 years ago and what eventually happened to WetCanvas. Please, please anyone who is reading this, don't give in to the temptation to rant. I will respect your opinion and hopefully you can respect mine.

Mari
they are there. ”

Old 2005-06-22, 8:54am
The Grand Foobah

Thank you for another side of the story Mari.

Old 2005-06-22, 11:18am
sunscreen me baby

I find the whole tool thing interesting. First I find it hard to believe anyone is really coming up with a new shape. Just look at the names! tile, stop sign, lentil, egg, ..... This whole idea of one tool maker copying the other just doesn't fly with me. It just seems like they are all moving on similar progressions with tools and lampworkers. Listening to what their customers want and producing it.
Besides I see the competition as healthy and to our benefit. We get competitive prices and something "new" keeps coming out to feed our frenzy.
Similar to coke and pepsi, tool makers appeal to a certain taste. Some of us choose one we prefer and some of just pick what is on the menu.

~

Old 2005-06-23, 12:27pm
Rich in Friends...

Yer welcome, Jenn! ;c)
they are there. ”

Old 2005-06-23, 1:16pm
subject to change

Thanks for the info Mari. I emailed the seller of these presses with a couple of questions and got immediate responses. I ended up purchasing one through eBay because he was so helpful and quick to respond. Can't wait for it to arrive.
Jessie