Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-09-08, 9:06am

Glad I could help. When you get the R-108 you DO want to heat the bejeezus out of it That's how you get all the pretty colors!
Old 2006-09-08, 4:32pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Great! That's easy on a Hot Head!!!
Old 2006-09-08, 10:39pm

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville
Default FRicken&#)$(*#@ BLaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I cant get this Raku to do crap .
Nikki gifted me some raku , and It was Wondermus ! When I ran out .. I bought more .. Now I hate it . It wont do anything for me . just barely faint colors . The raku frit Nikki sent me was tan but had a lot of color variations in it ( before melting ) . I have read and reread this thread and just can not " get it " . Ive about driven myself nutty trying .
Can I beckon the Queen of Raku to let me send you some of what I have and see if its the Frit or me just not holding my mouth right ?
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee someone . Im in raku frit hell . LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2006-09-09, 12:43am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkys
I cant get this Raku to do crap .
Nikki gifted me some raku , and It was Wondermus ! When I ran out .. I bought more .. Now I hate it . It wont do anything for me . just barely faint colors . The raku frit Nikki sent me was tan but had a lot of color variations in it ( before melting ) . I have read and reread this thread and just can not " get it " . Ive about driven myself nutty trying .
Can I beckon the Queen of Raku to let me send you some of what I have and see if its the Frit or me just not holding my mouth right ?
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee someone . Im in raku frit hell . LOL
Hi Janelyn,

Wow, that's really strange because I've never heard of a "bad batch" of raku before. I'll be happy to give it a try and see if I can get it to strike. I got the hang of raku a long time ago and now I'm in Kronos hell so I know what you're feeling right now....LOL!!!

Have you changed anything about your torch set up? What kind of torch are you using? Where did you get the frit? Do you have pictures of the beads that aren't turning out? I know....so many questions. If you still want me to test some for you, PM me and I'll give you my address.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2006-09-09, 1:17pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Well I finally managed to get some color from my R-108 but I had to repeatedly heat and cool the bead to get it. And I didn't get any of the cool purples, blues, and other colors that I would really like to see. Is this the best I can hope for on a Hot head?
Old 2006-09-09, 1:48pm

My question is, how do you control your ends when you heat the wazoo out of something. Obviously you lose that nice dimpled end on the bead - do you just fix it later by adding some glass to the ends?
Old 2006-09-09, 1:58pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns

Well I finally managed to get some color from my R-108 but I had to repeatedly heat and cool the bead to get it. And I didn't get any of the cool purples, blues, and other colors that I would really like to see. Is this the best I can hope for on a Hot head?
Hi Laurie,

I really don't have an answer for that one since I've never worked on a hot head. I've heard people say they can't get the really vivid colors from raku on a HH, and then I've heard people say just the opposite. Maybe someone should start another thread on how to work Raku specifically for Hot Head users.
I feel so bad when people follow my advise and then find out later that they are on a Hot Head and it's not working for them. I probably should have noted in my very first post in this thread that I use an oxygen / propane torch.

Old 2006-09-09, 2:24pm

I got some raku through a RAGK. (Whoo hoo for that by the way.) I tried it a couple times and got glowing crazed animal eye type beads. (Yuck) Then yesterday I tried it. No clue what I did. Absolutely none, but I got it to look nice. I was so excited.

Something someone posted must have helped. Thanks.
Old 2006-09-09, 3:30pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeebean
My question is, how do you control your ends when you heat the wazoo out of something. Obviously you lose that nice dimpled end on the bead - do you just fix it later by adding some glass to the ends?
Well. I heat the wazoo out of it but not until it gets drippy. I usually melt in my raku and then let the bead cool until it's lost it's glow. Then I super heat it real quick up close to the torch, about 2 inches away, just until it gets that "white hot look to it" but not to the point where the center starts to get runny. If you're doing round beads and don't want to loose the shape, try blowing on the bead to chill it rather than marvering it or pressing it.

Old 2006-09-09, 8:22pm

Got it - thanks!
Old 2006-09-10, 7:16pm
Life is change. Love it

I have better luck with cane than with frit (althought you can get great color from frit, it just takes longer for me.) For these beads I made a filigrana with raku cane and vetro black, base of avocado and some azure and purple accent colours. I didn't heat the beads to white hot, but certainly you need to use a lot of heat - just before you start to lose control is when I stop and press the bead, Another thing I do is blow the bead to cool rather than pressing several times. I never marver.

Last edited by Carolyn M; 2007-05-17 at 8:39pm.
Old 2006-10-04, 1:33pm
Ms. B

Thanx so much for the tips!

Robyn
Old 2006-10-16, 8:59pm

I Know I'm about 6 months late to this thread, but I just found it and it is AWESOME!!!!!!! I love raku, and have managed to coax some light blues out on the edge of the dot or stringer or whatever, but now... Oh My God! Thank you a million times!
Renee
Old 2006-11-04, 1:21pm
Mango Beads

Talking This is a great thread!

I would just like to sat how useful I have found this thread the advise is spot on and I cant thank Dawn enough . I am posting a pic of my first attempt at using Raku stringer and frit. I know I have got a long way to go but I was well pleased when the bead fairy stopped by this morning here in North Devon ! -Thanks Dawn
Attached Images

]

Manda x
Old 2006-11-04, 3:15pm
Mmmmm....Raku

I'm so glad you're finding this helpful!
Gorgeous beads Carolyn & Manda!

Old 2006-11-13, 12:42pm

Default Question for the Raku masters

Dawn,
I picked up on this thread a while back and want to thank you for all the info. I have been obsessed with raku again for the past couple weeks. I have had some great results with the encasing method and have attempted the unencased version, mostly to keep the size of the bead small. When they go into the kiln, they are amazing. They actually look like the new Kronos glass. But when they come out, they have shifted to more yellow colors, and I mean bright yellow. I am aiming for blues, greens , and purples. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Old 2006-11-13, 1:48pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFS View Post
Dawn,
I picked up on this thread a while back and want to thank you for all the info. I have been obsessed with raku again for the past couple weeks. I have had some great results with the encasing method and have attempted the unencased version, mostly to keep the size of the bead small. When they go into the kiln, they are amazing. They actually look like the new Kronos glass. But when they come out, they have shifted to more yellow colors, and I mean bright yellow. I am aiming for blues, greens , and purples. Any ideas?
Those beads are just gorgeous! And yes they do look almost like Kronos (although we're not going to mention the "K" word here because I can't get Kronos to work for me to save my soul!...LOL!)

Well, I'm not quite sure why your colors are shifting after they go into the kiln. Usually they may get a little more pale as they cool, but if it's blue going in, it should be blue coming out.
I can say though, that I find the really small spacer beads I do to be a little more tricky as I don't marver or press them to "chill" the color. Usually if I want blues and greens I get the raku melted in, let the bead cool just until it looses it's glow and the quickly super heat just the surface of the bead. As it cools, the greens and bluse start to appear. Sometimes I even blow on the bead a little after super heating it. Here's a few pictures where the smallest beads, the ones in the center strand, was done this way. On this set I used #0 frit.....

And on these, I threaded the raku on using a stringer and got more colors...

Old 2006-11-13, 2:10pm

Dawn,
Thanks for the input. What I am getting out does look more like your smaller beads in the first set. I am using stringer pulled from cane. What I did was make the base, decorate with stringer, melt in, super heat, blow to cool, then slowly heat in the upper part of the flame to a slight glow, blow to cool, and repeat the slight glow-cool process to develop more color. I did not let it cool really good after the supper heat, and maybe there is too much heat in the core, and that is what is causing hte further color development. Anyhow, I can see that with lots of beads in a set with lots of different color variation (like your beautiful beads) the contrast compliments rather than distracts. Thanks so much Dawn.

Joyce

Old 2006-11-13, 6:59pm

I agree Joyce. I need help. I 'm on a Betta torch. I jut got it. On my hothead I tried your old advice about burning the snot outta it. Sometimes it worked really well. Now on the Betta? I get mostly the tan color. Sometimes you'll see a little line of bluish green here and there. Can you tell me the best way to work the Raku?
When I reduce it I get more metallic or just plain black...burnt ugly looking colors. If I work it high in the flame.....I get the tans. I would love to get the blues and greens. I am trying to make a long cylinder bead to go on a black pen for my boss and since he's a guy I wanted to just add the raku and swirl it for some colored effects.
Any help Dawn????
Thanks,
Irene

Old 2006-11-13, 8:51pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
I agree Joyce. I need help. I 'm on a Betta torch. I jut got it. On my hothead I tried your old advice about burning the snot outta it. Sometimes it worked really well. Now on the Betta? I get mostly the tan color. Sometimes you'll see a little line of bluish green here and there. Can you tell me the best way to work the Raku?
When I reduce it I get more metallic or just plain black...burnt ugly looking colors. If I work it high in the flame.....I get the tans. I would love to get the blues and greens. I am trying to make a long cylinder bead to go on a black pen for my boss and since he's a guy I wanted to just add the raku and swirl it for some colored effects.
Any help Dawn????
Thanks,
Irene
Hi Irene,

It sounds like your flame is too reducing. Raku likes to be worked in a neutral to oxygen rich flame. Try turning your gas down a bit and working lower in the flame. I've never tried a Beta, but on my Minor, I work my beads about 3 inches from the face of the torch and use a very neutral flame. The idea with Raku is NOT to reduce it. (Unless you're going for that metallic luster which can be pretty cool in some applications.) Raku 's Oxygen!
And yes, Raku makes really good "Man Beads"!

Old 2006-11-14, 8:43pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Okay, I give up; I'm gonna post my frustration!

I'm on a hot head using propane. I've heated the snot out of it, I've blown on it, I've used graphite, brass, a butterknife dipped in water, and nothing works. I've tried different bases. I've tried stringer (straight and twisted) and several sizes of frit. I've tried it close to the torch head and far away in the flame.

All I get is tan/green, with the exception of the blue edges when the base is black, or almost nothing at all when the base is light blue.

It's a good think I like it tan/green, but I really want it to be a rainbow! When I tried it on light blue, I got it to be brown, but couldn't get it black, and encased it. When it came out of the kiln the frit had almost disappeared, it became so light.

The closest I got to black was silver, which is too much reduction. What happens if I encase the silver?

Help, before I quit raku!

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2006-11-14, 9:02pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I couldn't get raku to work on a HH either. I'm having much more luck since I upgraded to a Mini CC. I think it's a heat issue - the HH just doesn't get hot enough.
Old 2006-11-14, 10:32pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarae View Post
Okay, I give up; I'm gonna post my frustration!

I'm on a hot head using propane. I've heated the snot out of it, I've blown on it, I've used graphite, brass, a butterknife dipped in water, and nothing works. I've tried different bases. I've tried stringer (straight and twisted) and several sizes of frit. I've tried it close to the torch head and far away in the flame.

All I get is tan/green, with the exception of the blue edges when the base is black, or almost nothing at all when the base is light blue.

It's a good think I like it tan/green, but I really want it to be a rainbow! When I tried it on light blue, I got it to be brown, but couldn't get it black, and encased it. When it came out of the kiln the frit had almost disappeared, it became so light.

The closest I got to black was silver, which is too much reduction. What happens if I encase the silver?

Help, before I quit raku!

Mona
Hi Mona,
I'm so sorry for your frustration. It's exactly what I'm going through with the Kronos right now so I can totally relate!
But before you give up completely......I can't help you with how to do raku on a HotHead because I've never used one. But I have seen pictures of raku beads done on a hot head right here on this forum. Maybe you should start a new thread asking for "HotHead help with Raku" that might get the other HotHead users to give you some tips.

Old 2006-11-15, 3:26am

Well Dawn when you find out how to use Kronos please let me know. You helped me with Raku and now I am depending on you to solve the Kronos problem for me.lol Thanks Carmen
Old 2006-11-15, 7:50am
The Andrea Half

I'm with Monarae; tried EVERYTHING with my HH and can't get anything other than the tans and pretty pale blues, and that not consistently.

Old 2006-11-15, 9:33am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will start a HH Raku thread.

I can get Kronos to respond because it loves being reduced. I've reduced and then pulled twisties, and I've used stringers and dots. I have to say I'm not terribly impressed with it, but I would love to try Gaia and Double Amber Purple (I love colors!). I do the Kronos differently every time because I get confused about which type of glass needs which treatment so I generally do the following.

Apply the Kronos to the base bead and, whether melted in or not, get your bead really hot, then cover the holes on the HH and bring the bead really close to the torch head. You can see the silver come up to the surface.

Then I take it out and cool it A LOT. Then I turn up my torch and twirl in the dragon breath flame. Then I take it out again and cool it.

Next I use a clear stringer to cover the parts I want to keep the way they are. Finally I reduce again to further change the parts that aren't encased.

The more I reduce the lighter green I get.

Mona

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2006-11-16, 7:55am

Thanks for the info but I am on a minor and have tried reducing and get nothing.
Carmen
Old 2006-11-25, 10:26am
It dazzles, it sparkles

Whic raku should i be using
i have reichenbach cane and sand
Is that right?

Old 2006-11-26, 11:18pm

Well, I just saw this thread and I don't know where i've been but I thought I was being so adventurous to put a dot of clear on a dot of raku! I am very happy to see that you can encase it...Dawn, thanks so much for this thread. Raku is my favorite glass and now it will be better.
I have found that when I cover a dot of raku, the colors can be even brighter if the dot is poked. I don't know why but I love the effect.
Thank you...thank you!
ann

Old 2006-11-27, 5:37pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I had no luck with Raku on my Hot Head and I'm still having no luck with my Mini CC. I tried the super heating and encasing when it looked black and it came out black...no color at all. Everything I've tried has failed. I think Raku just doesn't like me. Sigh.