Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-11-17, 7:15pm
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

Default How does glass work?

Is it a situation where if you REALLY like a color you need to buy as much of it and hoard it cause they only make it once? Or do they continually produce the same colors for long periods of time?

I've never really bought enough glass to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-11-17, 8:46pm

Sometimes they make a color forever - Effetre white hasn't changed much in a long time, as far as I know. Sometimes a batch is a one-off. With some colors, every batch is different. With other colors, there's just one particular batch that's special. Sometimes they bring back old favorites.
Old 2016-11-17, 9:07pm
Slogan Challenged...

CIM does a lot of limited runs, but sometimes the new colors can be similar to some of the older ones.

Sometimes they sell out so fast it is not worth getting to know them (Hello Sakura) and sometimes they will hang around for a while.

Styles can change too, though, so you never know what you will end up with gathering dust in the corner for 2 years because you *thought* you couldn't do without it.

There are some that I stock up on every time I order, because there just isn't anything else like it. Especially the Vetrofond...the likes of which we will never see again. Tomato soup, banana cream and lemon meringue are too good not to have in my life. (just a coincidence they are all food names )

And I don't know how I would live without Extra Light Olive. But I know that I will, someday

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-11-17, 10:41pm
Phill

The chemistry involved can some times be very touchy because most of the material that makes up glass is the same thing from one color to the next.

The material that gives it its colors it could be as little as 3% or as much as 10% of the overall batch I am guessing.

Even a big factory is only going to be making 900 pound batches at a time and if the colorant is 27 pounds (3 times 9) of minerals the quality of the minerals can change one batch to the next and making the resultant color off by a shade or three from batch to batch.

If the color is really subtle like ivory or pink or cream then just a small change in the recipe can radically change the way the light plays on it.

And when you remember that glass is usually made in relatively small quantities even 900 pounds only gives 900 people one pound each of that color and everyone else has to take a roll of the dice to see if the next batch is close enough to the last one to mix together without much difference.

As for how much to get of what at one time I limit myself to a pound or two at most of any one color at a time.

If I ever get around to doing productions runs of hundreds of one color then I might start buying 10 pounds at a time.

But my problem,and yours too I would think, is that there is only so much space available to store this addiction unless you set up your torch in a storage locker.

So mostly you are going to be restricted to how much room you have.

Limit your stash to the storage space available and only buy quarter or half pound increments for a the first year or three.

Even at a quarter pound each there are still a thousand colors that will demand your attention and finding a place for 250 pounds of glass is a hard sell in a home that has wheels on it.

Good Luck Chris.
Old 2016-11-19, 8:07am

And every once in awhile you get an order of what you think of as a standard color . . .that's totally off the wall. Completely different.

I bought red, plain red, and it's coral. I could tell the batch was different just from the texture of the rod. Usually it's a tiny bit grainy feeling but this is smooth.