Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Is your torching affected by the weather?
Yes, I cannot torch at all if the temperature is too hot outside. 72 23.00%
Yes, I cannot torch during the extreme cold of the winter 53 16.93%
The weather doesn't affect me 88 28.12%
The weather limits me, but I work through it somehow 100 31.95%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-08-21, 6:12pm

Location: Indian River County, Florida originally from Connecticut

PaulaD I know that feeling on Leetes Island.

Now I'm having melt downs its just getting to hot here in FL.
Old 2011-08-29, 10:20pm
Elphaba Lives !!

It just gets so hot and humid here in Virginia Beach.

Even though I have air conditioning, it gets way too hot for me in the
Summer to make beads. I can make my Murrini, Twisties, and Stringers
for my Etsy Shop, but if I turn on my kiln, the studio temp just gets way
too high for me to be comfortable.

So I torch all year round, but I only make beads in the late Fall, Winter, and
early Spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-08-30, 12:03am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Usually I can take the heat... but this is the first year I experienced a summer like this, two months of over 100 F heats... not whole lotta torching going on. I make murrini for the request, and when it is done, my torching is pretty much done too. I cant wait for the summer to cool down a tad, so I can actually try few things Ive had in my mind for a while. I am not really worried about getting too hot torching, but my husband doesnt like me warming up the whole house, since the ventilation sucks all the cool air out in no time. Energy bill was already pretty steep... over $600 for the month of July. So torching would be no for him men...
Old 2011-08-30, 2:18am

I am in Perth, on a balcony. I just moved from Arizona so I don't know how it will b all year year. So far it has been cold and rainy a lot. On the dry days the wind has been very challenging, whipping the flame around and many of my beads have cracked (thermal shock?) Also lots of carbon deposits. (don't know why that has started) I'm also nervous because I don't know what my neighbors are going to say when they find out. Gas Bar b Que's are allowed but I didn't ask if lamp working is I can plug in my kiln very close and have my O2 concentrator on an extension cord
Old 2011-12-26, 8:28pm

I have just joined this forum, am a new lampworker and have recently moved to Bali from Canada. I think I may be screwed. My stuff just arrived befor xmas and I have some homework to do in regards to hot head torch, (which I used with propane fat boy tanks) and the type of gas I will be able to source here in Bali. Also, in a brilliant moment, befor I left canada, I thought it might be a good idea to buy a new, more powerful torch. So i bought a nortel mid range. If anyone out there can advise me, in any direction whatsoever, I would be forever grateful!
What I haven't told is that my Husband is to blame for this trip into glass mania! He talked me into taking a lampwork intro class, and , Yup! he has paid ever since!!!!!!!!
Sincerely
Jeannie D
Old 2011-12-29, 5:15pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Jeannie, I'm guessing the weather in Bali is similar to the weather here, in Hawaii? Hot and humid with the occasional tropical breeze? What's funny is that you're south of the equator so instead of being cooler and breezier right now you're just starting your summer.

All I can say is I either don't torch during the summer or I wait until after 10pm or before 6am. Last August that was the only way I could get my torching in.

I use an oxycon and because of that the flame isn't as forceful as it would be with tanked oxy, and having any fans on pointed toward me the flame flutters around like a crazy drunk making it impossible to accurately heat my beads. If it's hot and I can't use a fan, I am in a world of hurt. I tried putting a fan under my workbench pointing up my skirt, and that helped a little and didn't cause too much flame fluttering, but it was my only fan so I had to keep taking it out from under the table when I moved around the house. Next summer I'm going to buy myself another fan to keep under the table!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-12-30, 3:15am

I work in my cellar - usually 5-8 am, so I miss the heat of the day in the summer. Occasionally in the winter - if it's bitter cold - I give up. During the winter I wear a coat and hat

Old 2012-01-06, 10:05am

So Cal is usually ideal for glass work-but I draw the line at 100F. Usually if it is that hot we are having windy Santa Ana conditions too. My studio is unable to have a space heater or A/C on at the same time as my kiln and oxycon due to power issues. It isn't a problem in winter but during the summer I only work from about 7-8 am to 3pm if the temps are much over 90F.

Inspired by Nature, Captured in Glass
Etsy store-not open at this time
Old 2012-01-08, 4:40pm

I don't like to lampwork in the garage when the temperature is below 40

degrees. Lots of breaking rods and cracking beads

The garage is unfinished and I have a space heater on either side of my chair.

Time to work on jewelry............

Joan
Old 2012-01-09, 11:48am
Lover of all things color

And here I thought I was the only one dealing with temperature. I work in a unfinished basement. Have to open the windows to torch.

I don't torch in the winter unless it is over 50, I can handle colder but I worry about the oxygen concentrator. In the summer, I worry about the excessive humidity here in the south, not sure that is good for the oxy con either.

You can wrap up to stay warm and the torch does warm me some. But torching nekid in the summer...just not too smart...LOL Can't take enough off.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-01-09, 6:53pm
Ishum Designs

Kind of lucky here in the Bay Area - summers tend to be fairly cool and winters are not too harsh; but when it gets colder than 50 in my uninsulated garage, I (like others here) worry about my oxycons.

Bill
Ishum Designs
Oakland, CA

GTT Bobcat with a pair of 5 lpm Air Sep Elites.
Old 2012-01-09, 7:48pm

I used to torch in the garage until my husband built me a dream studio in the house. Perfect temperature year round. Love that man!

Old 2012-01-15, 4:01pm
Happy Inner Dragon

In subtropical Oz, winter's not an issue. If I'm batch annealing, then I just have to make sure the crockie's well and truly heated before I start working.
Summer work can get really hot, though - I'm in a tin garden shed, but I have a fan at my back, which helps. I finally also got around to putting towelling on my duct-tape armrests, which helps immensely. Sticking to armrests isn't a good thing at all!

Weather-wise, I do have an issue with really high humidity, though. When it's really wet air, accompanied by heavy rain, for some reason, the Effetre Clears soot up much more easily. I can't explain it - but I suspect it's to do with how the HH works in these conditions. The variables involved, however would be mind-boggling, so I don't think much about it too much

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2015-10-18, 10:28am

Now that I have relocated to So Florida my torching will be done in the "winter" months because it is just too hot in the summer. Torching in the garage and on the back lanai.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2015-10-20, 8:21pm

My friends and I started torching in August outside in Florida. So, we can obviously handle heat.
Rain makes things fun, especially for bead release.
Old 2023-04-21, 4:39am

It gets well over 100˚ here in the summer. Trying to ventilate and keep cool can be an issue. I do a lot of lampworking in the early hours.
Old 2023-05-04, 3:29pm
Slogan Challenged...

I usually switch to nights as a last resort. I need to insulate the garage door a bit better this year, and see what happens. Otherwise, 90F in the studio is about my limit

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2023-05-05, 10:47am
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
I usually switch to nights as a last resort. I need to insulate the garage door a bit better this year, and see what happens. Otherwise, 90F in the studio is about my limit
I enjoy lampworking at nights, especially when the days are murderously hot and humid when you can't get anything done.

Have to admit, this year is the first in many that we've seen cooler temps in the beginning of May. Love it.

Do whatever you must but from past experience of "Already been there and done that" (Central Florida) it wasn't worth the time, expense or payoff in reduced temps for the practical purpose of a home hot shop.

Now if you were setting up a single person welding shop in the garage then 2" foam panels cut to specs for fitting into the garage door panels and a 14K+ BTU AC window unit would be well worth the investment.
When I had the welding shop set up it would get down to 67° in the summer with the vent and welding torch running.

Hot shop?

Side note: On average a standard 2 car residential garage is approx. 440 sq. ft., in Florida anyways.

You better have a ? ton+ AC system with a properly balanced ventilation system setup or your just wasting your time and money.

In all reality, it really depends on how the shop/studio is set up and where everything is such as kiln, compressors and anything else that generates heat.
To say the least, it has to be a properly balanced setup regardless of whatever is in the studio.

Last edited by LBJ; 2023-05-05 at 12:21pm.