Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

View Poll Results: Which torches are best for making large vessels (H1"+W6"+)
Gtt's 12 36.36%
Herbies 8 24.24%
Cc's 4 12.12%
Bethelams 9 27.27%
Knight burners 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-05-20, 2:53pm
Progression in progress

Location: please ask for where i live to send items thank you
Default Large vessel torches with poll

Okay so im trying to find a torch that is good for making large vases and other vessels yet is able to do small detailed work. Do to my lack of experience with different torches im making this poll to gather everyone elses experience. Ive search all over and only get oxygen cost complaints and speed for prodo and assembly. I dont care for these i just want good facts on torches ablities to make large vessels. This means being able to fix large problems as your forming the shape and over all ability to wrap around the peice and give even heat in a large area. Only post if youve been around long enough to explain your reason in depth. These vessels are going to be as big as my imagination and just as detailed. So please help me by working together and make this useful for the future. Thank you for you time and votes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-22, 8:25pm
OOoh it glows when it's

??? Do you mean 1" high and 6" wide or 6" high and 1" wide?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-23, 3:41am
Progression in progress

1' high and 6" wide

Old 2013-05-23, 8:56am

wouldn't that be more of a bowl?
Old 2013-05-23, 11:36am

1' is one foot
Old 2013-05-23, 11:46am

In my opinion the best tool for this is a small Glory Hole and whatever torch you are using right now.
Old 2013-05-23, 4:15pm
Progression in progress

Tried it with my torch now. Flame isnt large enough. This can be done i know it can. Thats why im aiming for a herbie a 40 mm to be exact. With that the sky will almost be my limit till i get a 65mm and my skills get better im on my way i can start to taste the path of which ive chosen in this amazing art form.

Old 2013-05-23, 9:32pm

Old 2013-05-24, 3:45am
Progression in progress

Just wait ill do it. (insert mad scientists grin and laugh)

Old 2013-05-24, 9:52pm

I think what larry meant is it might be much cheaper to build a small glory hole and use that in conjunction with the torch you have than buying a $1500+ torch. Im thinking that for vessels the glory hole would heat up your pieces faster and easier and more evenly than trying to do it with just a torch. But thats just an impression I get. Ive never used a glory hole but if I had room for one I would definitely build one. They seem like another fun angle to working glass.
Old 2013-05-25, 6:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAlias View Post
I think what larry meant is it might be much cheaper to build a small glory hole and use that in conjunction with the torch you have than buying a $1500+ torch. Im thinking that for vessels the glory hole would heat up your pieces faster and easier and more evenly than trying to do it with just a torch. But thats just an impression I get. Ive never used a glory hole but if I had room for one I would definitely build one. They seem like another fun angle to working glass.
Yup. Exactly. For larger vessels this is much easier.
Old 2013-05-25, 9:47am

A Carlisle CC+, Just look at Roger Parramore's work. Oh! add a rockit foot pedal.
Old 2013-05-25, 9:51am

I don't think Jamie would like cost of operating a glory hole. I know I have one and have built several
Old 2013-05-25, 5:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I don't think Jamie would like cost of operating a glory hole. I know I have one and have built several
So have I. A nice one can be built for less than the cost of a very good quality torch and if built right they dont cost much to run. In my opinion it is the best tool for what he is describing but not the only solution.
Old 2013-05-26, 6:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
So have I. A nice one can be built for less than the cost of a very good quality torch and if built right they dont cost much to run. In my opinion it is the best tool for what he is describing but not the only solution.
Larry, I completely forgot about the ones Sundance sells, your right, that style would serve the purpose and not cost much to operate nor take up much space
Old 2013-06-03, 8:23am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I am really old school, so keep that in mind. But my background is blown work. I just LOVE my ancient carlisle CC for doing that work. It could be because thats what I cut my teeth on 35 yars ago. But here is why I will NEVER get rid of my oxy pig CC burner. For blown work it has a broad soft hot as hell flame. I far prefer it to any other torch.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2013-06-03, 9:30am

You are so right... you can NOT beat the CC or even better a CC+ for doing vessels ... large or small... the GTTs just have to much cut and make it very hard to get an even heat on a large thin walled piece.
I think the Knight burners would be great as well but ive never used one.
The Herbies are good but way to expensive for what your trying to do.

Just my opinion
Khan
Old 2013-06-03, 9:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post

Just my opinion
Khan
The HAs are expensive but like any of the GTT triple mix they hold their value very well. I regularly see used HAs and GTTs sell on talkglass for just about full retail. I believe in buying once and buying the best. High quality tools usually pay for themselves quickly.
Old 2013-06-03, 1:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
You are so right... you can NOT beat the CC or even better a CC+ for doing vessels ... large or small... the GTTs just have to much cut and make it very hard to get an even heat on a large thin walled piece.
I think the Knight burners would be great as well but ive never used one.

Just my opinion
Khan
I have a Knight Bullet burner which is comparable in size to a Barracuda. I have tried doing goblets and cups but they always turn out wonky. I can make something that holds water, but it doesn't compare at all to what my buddy can make on his CC...
*disclaimer* I have very little experience making vessels... I've done under ten cups/vases that "worked" and are functional.

Old 2013-06-03, 2:37pm

I can see how you could manage to do small vessels with a Barracuda or Bullet but i think you need a wider flame to get a good even heat on larger stuff... thats why the CC+ is a little bit better than just the CC. But there are SOOO many factors in getting the heat even... i mean even if you do get even heat it doesnt mean your bubble is going to come out even.
How fast you blow,,,, how fast you spin,,,, how straight your holding the 2 sides when you blow,,,, if your glass was uniform thickness,,, if your point or blow tube is on center,,, are all important to getting it right.
Its my opinion that you probably need to make about 100 bubbles before you will be confident of doing right most of the time.
Khan
Old 2013-06-26, 4:12pm

My vote is for 65mm Herbie.

If that's too pricey I'd suggest the 40mm or 50mm depending on what exactly your making. They have the same ports just spaced differently. 40mm is denser and 50mm is softer. I use a 40mm and making foot tall pieces isn't really a problem.

ps. If you go herbie don't listen to them and run it at 28psi oxy or whatever they suggest. Crank that bad girl up to 60psi and use the oxygen knob to regulate flow when switching between stages.
Old 2013-07-09, 1:52pm
ManBearPig

I can make things that large on my CC no problem. Honestly, I can make anything on that torch that I can make on a bigger torch. The limit is the size of my kiln and the depth of my skill.

But, I've seen large vessels made on small torches. Some big ones made on Nationals and Lynxes. The deciding factor is the person behind the torch, not the torch itself. Remember that vessels aren't solid, so you don't need a lot of heat. You just need to learn to control the heat you have.

Old 2013-07-12, 8:56am
kiwi ( new zealand)

i use just a redmax and i got 2 hand held torches i and if i need to i just use they glory hole just for reheating . so if u going big glory hole and maybe this for even biger i looking to it.

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...0a4b70a1347b71

Geoffery Bunker Glass artist
Live Stream

octarockstudio= octopuss sit on a rock studio
Old 2022-10-10, 8:15am

medium torch and a ribbon burner alongside? pretty cheap n keeps heat. just a thought.
Old 2022-10-10, 8:26am

I'm a little confused by this whole thread... 1 ft. tall and 6 in. wide isn't particularly large. I've done vases nearly that size on my CC (not even the plus, just the normal CC). A CC+ or a Herbie Zenit A (40mm) either one should make it easy, no real need for a glory hole or even one of the monster size torches (CC++, Herbie Zenit C/65mm, etc.). Practice on a normal size torch will get you a lot farther than you might expect.