No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-14, 2:58pm
Salt Box Beads

Default L@@K at what I just made!

I posted the instructions in the tutorials section because I have had so many requests. Enjoy!

I am soooo proud of me. I have been in and out of bed with a stupid cold and today I feel better but can't taste or smell anything. It's way too cold to go into the garage (studio) and I almost never watch daytime TV and I just had to get away from the puter for awhile, so I decided to try to make an optic mold.

It was so much easier than I thought. I did it in 20 minutes. I had already purchased the oak from Home Depot and I had everything else laying around.

I am thrilled at how it turned out. Now I can make a few more in different sizes. I'll have to wait to try it out now until the temps get back into the fifties. If anyone wants to know how I made mine just PM. I would be glad to share.

Merry Christmas
Lorraine
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2008-12-18 at 10:22am.
Old 2008-12-14, 3:01pm
Knob Creek Glass

Neat!!!
Old 2008-12-14, 3:16pm
I need more boro stuff

That is so cool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-14, 3:41pm
yukue fumei

very cool!

nagi

Old 2008-12-14, 4:06pm
Salt Box Beads

Thanks guys...I am going to make a few more smaller ones when I am feeling better. And a maybe a few with larger mandrels and then I think I want to make one with two different sized mandrels just for fun. I shall report back later..

Lorraine
Old 2008-12-14, 4:11pm
Linda Linda Honey, lookit

here is my ignorance talking... what are they used for?

Old 2008-12-14, 4:22pm
Living out Loud

Thanks for sharing, I think I'll try one. So you used mandrels to form your indentations, maybe I can use some of my bent ones. They are used to form identations in hot gathers of glass. These identations are then filled with a different color of glass and pulled into long thick stringers of glass. They they are cut with rod nippers and used to decorate beads. These colorful bits of glass are called murrini........I think!! Stick around I'm sure someone with additonal information will add to what I have written.

Old 2008-12-14, 4:38pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

Great job! Those are so awesome Lorraine. I hope you feel better soon. Any snow for you today? We got 3 inches the last few days. Hope it warms up for you soon, Lili
Old 2008-12-14, 4:45pm
Salt Box Beads

I am going to use mine for preparing my twisty gathers. It cost me under
$5.00 for the small wood plaque at Home Depot. I had bent mandrels and everything else at home. At the cost of any optic molds or forms etc..this was EXTREMELY reasonable.

I also didn't want to use wood glue so I figured that out.

HD also had some solid oak chair legs and such so if you want a different shape than what I choose there are other options all for under 10.00 for hardwood. The plaques came in round or oval and the rounds were on sale for under $5.00.

Lorraine
Old 2008-12-17, 6:42pm
She better not sell these

That is so excellent and so simple!

I rated this thread a 5 for being creative and generous!

Wanna make me one?

ETA: I can donate quite a few 1/16" mandrels!

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2008-12-17, 8:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampworker1 View Post
They are used to form identations in hot gathers of glass. These identations are then filled with a different color of glass and pulled into long thick stringers of glass. They they are cut with rod nippers and used to decorate beads. These colorful bits of glass are called murrini........I think!! Stick around I'm sure someone with additonal information will add to what I have written.

Wouldn't the wood catch on fire? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm sure this is way more advance than I am at the moment, but it sure looks interesting. I thought it was a hot marble holder or something...

Old 2008-12-17, 8:25pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

when glassblowers use wooden tools, they soak them, so I would imagine you soak this one before use too

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-12-17, 8:30pm
A Splash o' Glass

I think it should be unfinished wood in which you should soak it in water first. Much like a wooden marble mold. Does the glue that holds the bent mandrels in hold up to a water soaking?

Old 2008-12-17, 8:37pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbbeads View Post
I think it should be unfinished wood in which you should soak it in water first. Much like a wooden marble mold. Does the glue that holds the bent mandrels in hold up to a water soaking?
I don't think she used glue.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-12-18, 12:41am

Chriostpher
You use this kind of a mold by heating up a gather of glass on your rod ( not your mandrel) and when you think you have large enough gather you push/plunge the molten glass into the center of the mold. Then you take a second color (store bought stringer?) and fill in the dents in the glass. Use a punty and pull the glass or twist the glass as you pull
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2008-12-18, 12:45am
Salt Box Beads

Thank-you everyone for the compliments. That feels goooood!

Nope, no glue. If you wet the wood it can eventually loosen the mandrels if you use glue. That would be fun, pull out our gather and have mandrels clinging to it...YIKES!!!!

I drilled the holes with my dremel and made them 1 inch deep into the wood. I made them just almost too small for the mandrels and I had to push the mandrels down into the holes with a leather glove and pliers because the holes were so tight. They really are in there good.

All of the wood optic molds scorch. Thats okay, ff they catch on fire
(doubt that) then it goes into the water...LOL

Twiggy..Thank-you for that vote of confidence...Its really easy. I can send you the instructions....I have already sent some out... Twiggy, Where is WHY? I lived in kearny for awhile and south mountain Phoenix. I loved it. kearny was too hot though!! Thanks so much for the 5 stars.

Merry Christmas everybody!!
Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2008-12-18 at 1:02am.
Old 2008-12-18, 2:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus Beads View Post
Chriostpher
You use this kind of a mold by heating up a gather of glass on your rod ( not your mandrel) and when you think you have large enough gather you push/plunge the molten glass into the center of the mold. Then you take a second color (store bought stringer?) and fill in the dents in the glass. Use a punty and pull the glass or twist the glass as you pull
Liz R
AHHHHH HA! Thats the trick that they used at this show that I went to. They had canes made by an artist guy in New Jersey. It was clear but it had these perfectly even spaced fine lines twisted around a clear core. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how they got so intricate. Now I know!

Old 2008-12-18, 8:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post
Thank-you everyone for the compliments. That feels goooood!

Twiggy..Thank-you for that vote of confidence...Its really easy. I can send you the instructions....I have already sent some out... Twiggy, Where is WHY? I lived in kearny for awhile and south mountain Phoenix. I loved it. kearny was too hot though!! Thanks so much for the 5 stars.

Lorraine
You are welcome! The compliments are well-deserved!

Why is just north of the Lukeville port of entry at Sonoyta, Mexico. It is where the 2 highways from Phoenix and Tucson meet straight south of Phoenix and go to the border. Pretty much the middle of absolutely nowhere. There is a small town about 15 minutes away called Ajo (ah-hoe) where I used to have to go to get my mail. Why has 2 gas stations, a bar, a cafe and a boarded up laundromat I think our population is about 85, including the dogs and rattlesnakes. I LOVE IT HERE!

It gets hot here, too, but since we are way out in the country, it also cools off really nice at night, unlike populated areas that have buildings and pavement and concrete.

I would love to have the directions to build one or 3...! I use scissors to indent my glass now, and that takes forever and gets messy and my gather is always crooked and uneven. One time I forgot to keep my scissors squelched and the glass stuck, that was a mess! It made me so mad I didn't try to make a murrini for about a month afterwards.

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2008-12-18, 10:25am
Salt Box Beads

Twiggy, I think I sent you one in a PM but if I didn't it is up in the tutorials section now. Do you live south of Patagonia? I always liked it there.

I loved Tucson and the southwest...Very lucky you!
Lorraine
Old 2008-12-18, 11:00am

Great tutorial!

Here is the link:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=115451

Do you know where Gila Bend is? I am straight south of Gila Bend. If you ever went or go to Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco, Mexico, you have to drive by my house. There is only one highway in and out to Rocky Point.

#T53