Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-01-29, 11:01pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Default Surface Treatments: Common to Exotic

We all love glass, and one of the things we love best is the crisp, sparkly, smooth nature of glass, right?

I find more and more that I prefer my works that have the added dimension of texture. Ruggedness. Bite. Works that simply beg to be touched.

Let's talk about surface treatments and the options that exist. Or even options that might not (yet) exist.

As food for thought, and to stimulate the seed of discussion, I direct you now to the website of Billy Morris.

Read. Contemplate. Discuss.

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-01-29, 11:38pm
Entropy increasing....

I like that too. I'm new to it, but I like it on my goddess beads and I'm going to try it on other beads too.

I have some glass beads, the kind they put in paint like they paint lines on the road to make it shine when your lights hit it. I tried it on a bead, but they won't stick to the glass. I bought some sand and I'm going to try that.. I think the glass beads were too smooth or something. They are tiny, tiny beads. Disappointed!!
Old 2006-01-29, 11:57pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I've tried the reflective glass beads. And sand. I liked sand.

Also Available in

Old 2006-01-30, 1:19am

Since I didn't have any luck with sand a few years ago I kinda stuck to metals and reactions of that kind. Then this past Friday I was at the local Hobby Lobby to buy an emergency bottle of etch cream (since my slug-a-bug self waited until my Etch-All was gone before reordering when I spy all these cute little etch designs. That started me thinking again on the cool variations you can achieve on the surface. Then it gets me to thinking you can do all these surfaces then possibly do a refire and encase for a totally different effect. I'm all for reactions and glass. That's what really holds my interest. It's fun to do the colorful swirls and flowers for variety but I always go back to the reactions and what I can achieve. So, I plan on making my misson for the week an experiment in surface etching and what can be revealed in the center. I know this isn't quite what you had in mind Tink but I can't even begin to wrap my mind around the surface work you want to discuss. Baby steps for me. LOL!
I would LOVE for folks to share their processes and ideas (and even some pics. ) to help us simple minded (etch-all) folks headed in the right direction. I have been getting bored at the torch (which DH says always means trouble ) so it's time for me to try working in another direction. I would love to be pointed in the right direction.

Tracey

Listen to your inner voice. It knows what's it's talking about.
Old 2006-01-30, 3:42am
Likes to melt things

I just this weekend managed to swipe my boyfriend's dremel for the first time(I've only been torching a couple of months, yay for the end of hand-reaming!) and spent the whole of yesterday driving him nuts by going on and on about all the new kinds of beads I can now make. I'd love to be able to grind glass to a mirror finish - almost like faceting, or like Margaret Zinser's gorgeous 'soul beads' - but when I was playing around with the various grinding wheels he had in his tool box, I couldn't get a smooth finish.

Do I need a proper lapidary wheel to grind glass, or do Dremel (or someone else) do a range of attachments that I can use to grind and polish down through the grits? I checked my local hardware store yesterday, but all the dremel heads are just labelled as 'grinding wheel', with not so much as a distinction between coarse and fine grits. Does anyone do this? Can it be done?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but my little brain has been bubbling over with things I could do if I could only cut and polish glass myself. If anyone can help I'd be SOOOO grateful! And thankyou for everything you've already shared on this forum - you guys have taught me so much about glass without even realising it! THANKYOU!!!
Old 2006-01-30, 5:19am

Tink I wonder if you have seen these by Barbara Caraway. Hope she doesn't mind my hijacking her photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298566 You can see them closer in this thread. I have never seen anything like it! If I could only ever own one strand of beads these would be it. I love texture in beads. Even beads that appear to have no texture, just smooth and shiny, have to be touched. I have one set that is so smooth they almost feel wet.

Billy's work is amazing! I especially like the Reliquary Vessel. Amazing!
Old 2006-01-30, 5:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
And sand. I liked sand.
I've been eyeing the sand that holds my mandrels for weeks now, thinking - what will that look like on the bead???? I should have been more impulsive and just dunked it in there!

I like texture in a bead, vessel, small glass sculpture and of course in a Tink vessel! - it might be actual texture or it might be the appearance of texture. Billy Morris's site is fabulous! Some of the glass looks like old earthenware and appears textured but it's the reactions in the glass ( on a much smaller scale what I'm thinking is a reaction that looks textured is silvered ivory). I didn't look at all of them, but I assume he's done actual manipulation of the surface of the glass too.

I've been fascinated with the use of enamels as a textural element lately.I make a sculptural piece and then use the enamels to highlight certain parts of the piece with the texture it creates. The end result is a very tactile piece.

Cindy

Old 2006-01-30, 5:26am

Gosh, Tink, there is just so much to discuss. My all time favorite is layers of frit and enamels that are left raised. I have been doing this for years and got the idea from Stevi Belle who was an expert at it. I'll attach a pic below.

Then there is engraving, which I have always wanted to explore, but the equipment is fairly expensive. Jennifer Zitkov introduced me to this and does intricate patterns on beads with an engraving tool that spins at 600,000 rpm's. She layers the beads with enamels and carves through the various layers.

If I had a stand-alone studio with a spray booth, and super ventilation, I might try tetra-isopropyl titanate as the surface coloration after spraying that on your beads is unbelievable. Or, scavo, used by William Morris would be fun, but both of those are so deadly poisonous that I would not use them in my present studio.

I have seen people that used concrete stains on hot beads and have thought of trying that - even have some here, but haven't gone into it because compatibility issues always bothered me.

I love the effect you can get from sprinkling on oxides, like red copper, cobalt etc., but there is just too much stuff to play with and even though I have a massive set of oxides here I haven't done much with them.

Okay, that's enough for now. I'm sure this thread is going to be interesting.
(obviously I have forgotten how to attach a picture, so I will just include the link)http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Pam

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog

Last edited by pam; 2006-01-30 at 5:29am.
Old 2006-01-30, 7:47am
Seed Bead Hero

Wow Barbara Caraway's pieces are amazing.... It looks like melting ice on green branches. That wants to be touched!!! I can imagine wearing it and people reaching up to touch it to see if it is cold.... LOL

Since I am a newbie and still have little experience with the glass, I may not know what I am talking about. I know you can achieve texture by leaving frit or stringer raised. You can also roll your bead on a metal tool. Has anyone tried rough grained sandpaper?? would it catch fire?? I like the idea of etching with etch all, and carving with a tool. If you layered the glass just right, with a dark and then white encased with a transparent that might look interesting...
I am just a newbie and throwing out ideas.... Please let me know if I am wrong....

Old 2006-01-30, 9:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam
I have seen people that used concrete stains on hot beads and have thought of trying that - even have some here, but haven't gone into it because compatibility issues always bothered me.
Never heard of that! Interesting! Has anyone posted any beads made with the concrete stains?

And - what about the ceramic overglazes? I wonder about that too - I'm pretty sure that the ceramic overglazes are made of glass but is there a compatibility issue with those too? Or is it put on so thinly that one can get away with it (as you can with the furnace glass). I've looked at the ceramic overglazes and the colors are comparable to enamels and the paradise paints so wondering why one would use them? Do they give a different effect? (I would think so or why else use them?)

Cindy

Old 2006-01-30, 9:51pm

Wow, those beads by Barbara Caraway are so cool. I too have not seen anything like them. Do you think that is electroforming? Very beautiful.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-01-30, 9:55pm
Entropy increasing....

Yes the sand paper would catch on fire. lol
Old 2006-01-31, 5:46am
Goddess

Great thread Tink. Billy Morris's work is amazing. I've been a fan of Barbara's work for quit a while too. I can't contribute to the actual surface treatment discussion because I have never tried anything like this. I do love texture but what I make is more texture for the eye and not actual raised texture on the bead. I would love to try this though. I know you can roll a bead in baking soda after it is finished to achieve a pitted, old, or stoney look, but I haven't tried that either. Pam mentioned some neat possibilities but most of us probably don't have a studio set-up or ventilation that is good enough to do this safely or properly.

I've also wondered about the ceramic overglazes. Might be worth a try.

Old 2006-01-31, 6:39am

I've tried both china paint and glass paint over-glaze type paints and they just turn black and put off some gosh-awful fumes, but not ceramic paint. I haven't played with them in a while and since this is my last day of "play", I think I may do that and delve in a little deeper. I'll also find the concrete colorant if possible and see what happens with it.

Thanks for starting this, Tink. You have inspired me to go back and try things that I gave up on long ago. Of course this could be a completely wasted day, but..........nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-01-31, 7:41am
sunscreen me baby

Let's see...

I've tried sand, liked it.

Rolling it in bits of chopped up copper wire, got black specks sticking out, haven't figured out how to use that one, but cool.

salt to get rid of edp devit, just made it crumbly on the outside so it could be a cool distressed stone thing.

Copper flakes pearlex from my poly clay days, very pretty shiney textured bead I like.

I have also done the Pebeo paints which are fun but I haven't played too much with that since I'm not a very good painter.
I did get the magic markers and need to play with those. They are in my pile of experiments to be done.

I'm about to play with enamels when I find my darn respirator...

~

Old 2006-01-31, 7:42am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsong
Wow Barbara Caraway's pieces are amazing.... It looks like melting ice on green branches. That wants to be touched!!! I can imagine wearing it and people reaching up to touch it to see if it is cold.... LOL

Since I am a newbie and still have little experience with the glass, I may not know what I am talking about. I know you can achieve texture by leaving frit or stringer raised. You can also roll your bead on a metal tool. Has anyone tried rough grained sandpaper?? would it catch fire?? I like the idea of etching with etch all, and carving with a tool. If you layered the glass just right, with a dark and then white encased with a transparent that might look interesting...
I am just a newbie and throwing out ideas.... Please let me know if I am wrong....
That is the best time to play! You don't know any better.

~

Old 2006-01-31, 8:26am

Default surface texture

Lately I have been getting into more complex surface treatments with my glass using other mediums. I see most peole trying to alter the surface in the process or with other glass enamels or treatments but rarely do I see exploration with traditional mediums, for example, paint, plastics,or rubbers. I have been playing around with sanblasting and oil painting glass for the last couple of years and it has been very entertaining. Once you sandblast glass it will pick up almost any paint, pen, pencil, whatever. Oil paint preserves the transparent nature of glass whick preserves the relevence of the medium. I love Billy Morriss work, he is by far one of my favorite artists period. the only complaints I have heard in the glass world lately about his work is that it no longer looks like glass, so why make it out of glass? what is the relevance? I could care less, i'm a glass junky, you make it out of glass because its glass and its fun!

here is a link to some of my work, including some sandblasting and painting.

http://www.glassartists.org/micahevans
Old 2006-01-31, 8:30am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Man o' man...William Morris' work is mind blowing on many levels.

Textures? There ought to be a new word for texture and organic as they apply to this man's work. It's mind boggling to me that, in glass, he can create textures and patterns of color that resemble intricate fabrics, detailed tattoos and carvings.

And I'm floored at how prolific his works are! It looks as though he has a smallish exhibit in Stockbridge, MA. Heading there is sounding like a great weekend getaway to me.

It pains me to think I'll probably never get any closer than this pc brings me to the Mazorca Installations.

I can't add any ideas to this thread but this sure has been a treat. One I most likely would never have been introduced to if not for this thread. Thanks, Tink!

Lil
Old 2006-01-31, 8:03pm

Now THIS is a wonderous thread! One I've been waiting for.

I absolutely love beads with texture, and if made correctly, I LOVE beads that are NOT perfectly shaped. If you've seen them, then you KNOW what I'm talking about!

I haven't tried sand yet but have just added it to my list.
I did try the baking soda beads from Mr. Smiley and LOVED the effect, however, had cracking problems soon after. I think I may have used a little too much... but if I end up getting it down at some point... it is very cool!

I have also tried the tiny copper wire like in speaker wires from a thread the other week and it adds a totally cool effect if you let them curl all up and glop them on all over the place.

I am also intrigued with shards. I even wrote a small tutorial for Lizabeads donation project. Shards are so cool because you can either melt them in... OR let them burn up and curl up and crumple up and slap them on ! Oooo, love it!

I have a question.... (kind of unrelated, but still want to know)....
IF I make a bead and embellish it with luster rods.... can I encase it, or will the luster be ruined?

Tink... I'd love to see one of your vessels in a dark ivor, with tiny bits of sterling silver/ black/ taupe/ and sand!
Ooo, sounds GORGEOUS... try it... WILL YA WILL YA PLEASE HUH?

Have any of you ever tried gold wire?

How about everyday products like salt/ spices/ silly things like that?
Anyone ever go haywire and just try shit?

Tink, I love you for starting this thread.

Joanna
Old 2006-01-31, 9:28pm

I dont have the eye-hand coordination to do anything like that freehand, but to get a 'glass' finish you'd have to work up in grit number till you got to working with cerium oxide powder on a felt wheel. Or re-kiln the piece and fire polish, but then you risk losing some design detail.

In a similar vein, we saw a tool at a show a couple of years ago that comes to mind when you mention faceting. I see some real possibilities here, not to mention the fact you can facet work *much* cheaper this way.

Jack Lahr's Lap Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Clar
I just this weekend managed to swipe my boyfriend's dremel for the first time(I've only been torching a couple of months, yay for the end of hand-reaming!) and spent the whole of yesterday driving him nuts by going on and on about all the new kinds of beads I can now make. I'd love to be able to grind glass to a mirror finish - almost like faceting, or like Margaret Zinser's gorgeous 'soul beads' - but when I was playing around with the various grinding wheels he had in his tool box, I couldn't get a smooth finish.

Do I need a proper lapidary wheel to grind glass, or do Dremel (or someone else) do a range of attachments that I can use to grind and polish down through the grits? I checked my local hardware store yesterday, but all the dremel heads are just labelled as 'grinding wheel', with not so much as a distinction between coarse and fine grits. Does anyone do this? Can it be done?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but my little brain has been bubbling over with things I could do if I could only cut and polish glass myself. If anyone can help I'd be SOOOO grateful! And thankyou for everything you've already shared on this forum - you guys have taught me so much about glass without even realising it! THANKYOU!!!

So come up to the lab and see what's on the slab...

Old 2006-01-31, 11:57pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Micah! Welcome! The first time I can remember hearing your name was in a phone conversation with Matt Sylvester. Matt has taken, I believe, at least one of your classes. Or was in a class WITH you at Robbin's. Or something. LOL! Marcie Davis and I discussed your stunning work briefly on a balcony overlooking the Atlantic a couple of weeks ago.

Wonderful to see you posting here...

Here are a couple of other artists I'd like all of you to check out. The first is Gary Genetti:
http://www.genettiglass.com/

The second is Duncan McClellan. I'm linking to a gallery display of his work, as I find his personal site difficult to navigate:
http://www.codagallery.com/artist2.a...an&Submit=View

Amazing. Both of them.

Now Micah... Maybe you can help me work the bugs out of the oil paint on sandblasted glass thing. Instead of nice, smooth, even tints, I seem to get some nasty color flecks. Bleah.

Also Available in

Old 2006-02-01, 2:23am
No Longer an LE Member

Tink,
This is an absolutely wonderful thread and for me one of the most exciting I have read. I started out learning to fuse and slump and as I learned I kept in the back of my mind I wanted more texture. I like organic and I like texture. I am now doing lampworking and totally addicted to it. I am still working out so many things that are basic but I am trying to push toward texture. Electroforming has great potential but I am looking for something different. So far I have ruined a lot of glass. There will come a point where success will come I am sure of it. Until then I am very happy to see this post come up and I really hope this discussion continues.
Old 2006-02-01, 4:35am

Micah - I agree with Tink - your work is stunning! To me, there's subtle movement in the pieces that make them something you can't take your eyes off of! Fabulous! Thanks for coming here and posting!

Tink - thanks for the links - yet another set of amazing glass artists. You really are the queen of fab-links! If it's a Tink-link, bookmark it!

Pam - did you play with the ceramic overglazes? I woke up this morning thinking about the firing schedule one would use if you applied them (sick isn't it? I know! - between that and the tubing dreams...oh well you get it! )

Cindy

Old 2006-02-01, 4:50am
I'm a lilac!

This is an awesome thread, and Micah, like others I'm happy to see you raise your head here!

I love doing stuff to beads, I love faceting and electroforming them, I love rolling them in *stuff* for an interesting and complex finish, I just love seeing what they can become. I think that in a way beginners have an advantage because they are just winging the crap out of it and have no idea what's considered "doable".

I hope people will post a lot of great stuff in this thread.

Old 2006-02-01, 6:30am
Ad astra per aspera

I do love smooth, but I'm also drawn to textures. My personal favorite thing of the moment is raised twists.

I'm seeing some incredible surface treatments in Tucson. Kim Affleck's electroformed beads are breathtaking. I had NO idea you could electroform "fun fur" yarn or organza ribbon!!!!

Dolly Ahles is doing floral tabs where the flowers literally bloom out of the glass base. She has such a delicate touch!

I know there's more but I'm suffering from sensory overload at the moment.

Old 2006-02-01, 7:11am

Tink,

Its nice to be here! Now about those color flecks, that is a mystery! I might try a finer grit to blast with, maybe 220. I also buff stubborn paint spots with a Q-tip, hope that helps. I have a how too on oil painting coming out in the next issue of the Flow that might help as well.
Old 2006-02-01, 7:24am
Ad astra per aspera

I just wanted to share this set, which I just made into a bracelet. For me, personally, it was quite an exercise in control (self-control as much as anything else). I'm so used to melting in frits that learning when to say "when" and leave them textured is an act of will. Plus just learning when they're melted-in enough to smooth out the jaggies, and to read the hot glass has a bit of a learning curve for me. I'm really happy with how they turned out. I added a second pix of one of my favorite raised twist beads. It's sooo touchy-feely!
Attached Images

Old 2006-02-01, 10:07am

Nice topic Tink!!
I love texture myself. I started doing seed bead work and still love it with glass! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-02-01, 6:04pm
oxygen deprived

Holy crap Micah! I just took a look at your cages, and _WOW_. I am in love. The color is just stunning!!!!

With the oil paint, do you use some sort of a fixative? What's the durability like?
Old 2006-02-01, 8:20pm

Alissa,

no fixative, just air dry! Its very cheap, simple and quick, it holds up very well but will fade over time in direct sunlight just like an oil painting. Thanks for the kind words on the cages, I have about 6 new ones in the final stages right now, I'll post pics when they are done.