No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-04, 12:31pm
Annie

Default Converting a ceramic 220V kiln to a bead annealer

I have an old 220V octagon top lid ceramic kiln, and I am wondering if I can use this for lampwork annealing? It does not currently have a digital controller.
Old 2010-01-04, 12:40pm

yes, you can. A kiln is a kiln is a kiln. It doesn't even have to have a digital controller, but that makes it simpler. You can buy controllers separately from kilns. Personally, I'd probably use a top loader for batch annealing.
Old 2010-01-04, 1:06pm

I also have an old 220v octagon kiln sitting in my garage and was wondering how to convert it over to 110v. Any idea where to go to find the information on how to switch it?
-Elaine
Old 2010-01-04, 1:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbatteries View Post
I also have an old 220v octagon kiln sitting in my garage and was wondering how to convert it over to 110v. Any idea where to go to find the information on how to switch it?
-Elaine
Short answer: you can't.

Long answer: While you might be able to compute the new size and length of elements needed to run the kiln on 110 volts, and replace the elements, the kiln would then either draw more current than is available through a typical 110 volt circuit, or would take forever to heat up.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-01-04, 1:28pm

Bummer.....thanks Malcolm.
Old 2010-01-04, 4:19pm

getting an electrician to set up a 220 outlet isn't impossible, though, and in my experience is far less expensive than buying another kiln....
Old 2010-01-04, 7:06pm
Alaska Boro

Default Kiln Wiring

The best way to find out is to use an Ohm meter to check the resistance of one element. On my homemade annealer the element measures 11.8 ohms. At 117 V AC this comes out to 9.9 amps or 1160 watts. It takes 57 minutes to heat up to 1050 F.

Note: since elements are low resistance be sure to substrate the resistance of your meter leads. Perhaps .2 ohms depending.

If the elements are in the range of 10 to 8 ohms you could use one element connected up to a single 117 V AC power source. Two could not be used as the overall current would be around 20 amps which would trip the standard household circuit.

The other issues are the volume of the kiln and heat loss. 1100 to 1700 watts may be sufficient again depending.
Old 2010-01-04, 11:09pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post
getting an electrician to set up a 220 outlet isn't impossible, though, and in my experience is far less expensive than buying another kiln....
i agree. most homes have 2 hots and a neutral coming in to the main breaker box. Standard 120 uses one hot and one neutral and ground. 220 uses the two hots and ground. So it should be very easy and fairly cheap to get an electrician to set up a 220 outlet at almost any home connected to the grid.

Personally, I'd rather set up a new 220 line than swap out elements and relays to convert a 220v kiln to 120v.