No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-22, 10:55am
Never give up

Default Anyone use these tools??

Can anyone tell me if you have used these tools and what you think about them. They are on sale Arrow Spring's site. Twisty tweezers, Greedy grabers, or Uncle Al Rod Grabbesr. Also need a really tool for holding Marbles and pendants. Any suggetions??Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Old 2010-01-22, 12:29pm

I have the Twisty Tweezers. They are nice for pulling stringer because they grab on and hold so they don't slip off the end as regular tweezers sometimes do. I don't make twisities with them though, but you certainly could. I like the Hot Fingers for holding large objects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-22, 12:29pm
Never give up

Any one??? Surely someone knows something about these tools. They are on sale and I think I can swing it. Thanks
Old 2010-01-22, 12:31pm
Never give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I have the Twisty Tweezers. They are nice for pulling stringer because they grab on and hold so they don't slip off the end as regular tweezers sometimes do. I don't make twisities with them though, but you certainly could. I like the Hot Fingers for holding large objects.
Thanks! Iam really thinking about getting some.
Old 2010-01-22, 12:34pm
just another glass addict

I have Uncle Al's rod grabbers. They work well, but I like the italian ones better because it's just like holding a rod. I find the loop handles difficult, but that's definitely a personal problem. As far as grabbing a short off the table they work great.

Polly

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2010-01-22, 12:36pm

Smile

Al's Grabbers are great for handling shorts and being able to use up the nubs. Nice way not to waste any glass in shorts.

Old 2010-01-22, 1:52pm

I have all three. I love the twisty tweezers for pulling stringer. I love the greedy grabbers for using up the last bit of glass when I don't want to melt it to another rod and also for grasping stringer. I found the Uncle Al's grabbers awkward.
Mary T.

Old 2010-01-22, 1:53pm
..in withdrawal....

Oh crudmuffins! Now I HAVE to have some Twisty Tweezers -- those look wonderful!
Old 2010-01-22, 2:54pm

Hold-me-tight is a rodholder that is handmade by Frank Santos--it looks really good.
-Elaine
Old 2010-01-22, 5:56pm
Lampworkaholic!

I love the greedy grabber - use it constantly. I'll probably get a couple more. I also like the twistie tweezer but one will do, great for pulling encased aventurine stringer which I go through copious amounts of.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-01-22, 6:13pm

I recently got a greedy grabber ... love it. Easy and light to use, holds a wide range of sizes - I've even used it to hold strips of dicroic that I usually hold in pliers.

Old 2010-01-22, 6:16pm
Never give up

Ok now I am excited , going to order. Any other holding marble making tools you think I should get please let me know soon.Thanks
Old 2010-01-22, 6:23pm

I have them both and use them a lot. I, too, may order a couple more of the greedy grabbers.

Old 2010-01-27, 7:25pm

I bought the uncle al grabbers, the twisty tweezers and the stick-to-hold-your-mandrel-horizontal-thing. But they haven't arrived yet. So I can't say if they are any good. Will let you know when I get them though so others can decide if they want them too.

Last edited by mini; 2010-01-27 at 7:33pm.
Old 2010-01-27, 8:32pm
I think my raku is broken

I have the twisty tweezers (love) and the greedy grabber (like a lot). The only reason the greedy grabber doesn't get full stars from me is because sometimes, when I'm pulling a stringer with one end in the greedy grabber, it doesn't hold as firm as I'd like. The Twisty Tweezer, on the other hand, is rock solid. I've never tried the Uncle Al... I can't imagine that it would be a whole lot better than the greedy grabber so I went with the least expensive... YMMV.

Old 2010-01-27, 9:38pm

yes I don't believe the greedy grabber is intended for pulling stringers - you need the twisty tweezers for that (although I just use a pair of pliers myself). imho The greedy grabber is best for shorts...

Old 2010-01-28, 12:26pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

For marbles and pendents I use a home made tool as described by Drew Fritt in his marble book. 1/8" SS welding rod, make a circle loop about 1" is dia, at each end of a 32" length of rod, make sure the loops are in the same plane (parallel to each other) and then bend the whole thing into a tweezer shape so the loops line up and are flat to each other. Very simple and works well.
PJ
Old 2010-01-28, 8:17pm
Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini View Post
I bought the uncle al grabbers, the twisty tweezers and the stick-to-hold-your-mandrel-horizontal-thing. But they haven't arrived yet. So I can't say if they are any good. Will let you know when I get them though so others can decide if they want them too.
Uncle Als grabbers:
bought a pair of these and love them. great for using short pieces of rods. wonderful for grabbing hot mandrels in the kiln (making implosions on ends of mandrels and housing them in kiln until bead is ready for them) - re arranging mandrels in the kiln.

Previously had been using a giant pair of needle nose pliers for all of these tasks. Most used: for using short rods.

Old 2010-01-28, 8:56pm
AKA Annan Designs

I love Uncle Al's rod grabber.

Peg
Old 2010-01-28, 10:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming_fools View Post
Uncle Als grabbers:
bought a pair of these and love them. great for using short pieces of rods. wonderful for grabbing hot mandrels in the kiln (making implosions on ends of mandrels and housing them in kiln until bead is ready for them) - re arranging mandrels in the kiln.

Previously had been using a giant pair of needle nose pliers for all of these tasks. Most used: for using short rods.
That's brilliant! I burnt my fingers taking out a mandrel to look at how one of the kiln strickers was progressing. I held the tippy end with my right hand then as it wasn't hot I decided it was a good idea to grab more in the middle with my left!! That bit WAS hot!!