Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-05-21, 5:28am
Who me?

Default Bead Release Comparison - Which to Get?

I have about used up my 1/2 gallon of Sludge Plus and it's time to buy more.

Can anyone recommend if I should change from Sludge Plus? Has anyone used the Blue Sludges without the graphite?

$60 is a lot to spend and I don't know if I should stay with the Sludge Plus or try some of the Blue.

How are each of these?

DIP-AND-GO SLUDGE - The ultimate flame drying mandrel release for all sizes of solid and hollow mandrels.

DIP-AND-GO BLUE SLUDGE - The same product as Dip-n-Go Sludge™, except without graphite, and therefore holds even stronger.

SUPER BLUE SLUDGE - The same product as SLUDGE PLUS™, except without graphite, and therefore holds even stronger.
Old 2010-05-21, 5:55am
one day at a time

I use KRAG Mudd because I've tried them all and to me it's the best for getting beads off of 1/16" mandrels without bending them. Dip n' Go Sludge is runner up.
Old 2010-05-21, 10:03am

For me DIP-AND-GO BLUE SLUDGE works best for all beads, especially with a press.
I use it very thinned and never had problems.

Elke
Old 2010-05-21, 2:07pm
Lampworkaholic!

Funny, I mix Krag Mudd with Dip and Go Blue Sludge. Best of both worlds, holding power and easy cleaning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-05-21, 2:28pm
Tacki

I use dip n go for all my BHB. Doesn't flake or crack, I hardly ever break it when working on a bead, it holds up well to marvering and pressing.

If I'm making simple spacers that don't require much marvering or pressings, I'll use KRAG Mudd. It's the easiest to remove from the mandrel and easiest to clean from the bead hole, but I've found it doesn't hold up well at all to heavy-handed torching.
Old 2010-05-21, 3:35pm

You'll be prying my Dip-n-Go out of my cold, dead hands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-05-21, 9:59pm
too many rods in the fire

Fusion!!! Absolutely love it.

Old 2010-05-21, 11:25pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I *was* mixing KRAG mudd with Bucket O mud because, as mentioned above, although KRAG cleans out easily it's not strong and I was finding if I dipped mandrels 24 hrs ahead of time the next day they were worthless. Adding the BOM gave the KRAG the boost it needed. Is Dip n Go a good replacement for BOM?

Old 2010-05-22, 12:08am

What is the Foster Fire heavy duty like compared to Dip n go sludge (The grey stuff)?
I love the dip n go, but I am running out and the only thing I can get easily next week is either Foster Fire or Hotline pink slipper(wich sucks, IMO).

R#115
Old 2010-05-22, 6:34am

Fusion, fusion, fusion. Never had any luck with anything else... must just be me..

Old 2010-05-22, 6:45am
Peerless Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC View Post
You'll be prying my Dip-n-Go out of my cold, dead hands.
Ditto!!!

Old 2010-05-22, 8:37am
I love glass

Fusion and Super Blue Sludge, especially for boro beads or big beads that take a long time.

Old 2010-05-22, 9:06am
uncouthful cats

I recently got some Dip-n-Go Sludge, & I like it a lot. I had Foster Fire before &, while it holds up well & it's easier to remove beads, it's really thick & I didn't want to take the chance of damaging it's holding capabilities by thinning it way down. Guess I ought to try thinning it in a separate little bottle to find out.

The Dip-n-Go is great, although it takes a bit more strength to get the beads off mandrel. I suppose if I soaked them first it would make a difference, but I got spoiled with just being able to pull them off with the Foster Fire.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2010-05-22, 12:01pm
Tacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post
I *was* mixing KRAG mudd with Bucket O mud because, as mentioned above, although KRAG cleans out easily it's not strong and I was finding if I dipped mandrels 24 hrs ahead of time the next day they were worthless. Adding the BOM gave the KRAG the boost it needed.
Yep! Krag Mudd is worthless if you leave it dipped longer than a day.

Quote:
Is Dip n Go a good replacement for BOM?
Yes yes yes, and yes! I used BOM for a long time until I got a bad batch that didn't work at all. I tried Dip n Go from Reenie and I like it SO much better than BOM.

P.S. I'm in Plano... we should meet up sometime
Old 2010-05-22, 12:53pm
da General

What I use after lots of experimenting:

small beads - KRAG Mudd or Dip n Go Sludge
BHB/vessels - Sludge
large beads (anything longer than 1") - mix Foster Fire Smooth N Tuff with Fusion

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-05-22, 2:24pm
Present tense

I started out with Bucket O'Mud and loved it. When it became unavailable, I switched to Fusion, and like it as well, but it's worn the diamond off of my BeaDreamer. As a result, I've recently gotten some Sludge Plus and am pleased with how easily it cleans out, and as my flameworking skills have refined, I'm not beating the crap out of my hot glass/mandrel , and can now use "softer" bead releases.

IMO, I'd just stick with Sludge Plus.

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2010-05-22, 4:27pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracidawn78 View Post
Not if you mix some Blue Sludge with it.

I mix them about 50/50 and I also use filtered water to thin down the mix when it starts to thicken.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-05-22, 4:55pm
one day at a time

I've used mandrels with KRAG Mudd that were standing around for days and weeks, and even to the point where they got rust on them. No problems for me, but in my case, I make little beads about 12mm and under. It's very humid here pretty much year round and my studio has windows open most of the time.
Old 2010-05-22, 7:05pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracidawn78 View Post

Yes yes yes, and yes! I used BOM for a long time until I got a bad batch that didn't work at all. I tried Dip n Go from Reenie and I like it SO much better than BOM.

P.S. I'm in Plano... we should meet up sometime
I saw that Traci, but I'm not going to any clubs with you, you're dangerous. Plus the fact that I'm old enough to be your......um...well, very much older sister anyway.

Thanks so much for the info. I'll get some Dip n Go from Reenie, sounds like the fix for me.

Old 2010-05-22, 7:11pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
I've used mandrels with KRAG Mudd that were standing around for days and weeks, and even to the point where they got rust on them. No problems for me, but in my case, I make little beads about 12mm and under. It's very humid here pretty much year round and my studio has windows open most of the time.
I don't have the humidity here I guess Lisi, and I work in the garage so the environment goes back and forth. I could dip one day and the next I'd stick the dipped mandrel in the fire, get about two wraps on and flake city. Actually, for the first year I did LW I dipped mandrels right before I worked, flame dried them, and treated them like very delicate temperamental babies. OMG, when I added the BOM I could actually, like, DO something.

Upside, it's extremely rare for me to break my bead release anymore even with big honking beads that get lots of manipulation.

Old 2010-05-23, 2:01am
Who me?

Thank, guys. Looks like my Sludge Plus gets good marks from many so I'm going to stick with that. I am intrigued by the folks who say that The Blue Sludge makes the transparent glass holes prettier so I'm going to try one of those too and maybe mix some of the grey and blue together.

I never have any problem removing my beads with Sludge Plus - guess it's because I soak in a pitcher of soapy water, at least over night - sometimes for days.

I'm curious about the KRAG but nto curious enough to buy any - I dip over 300 mandrels at a time and let them sit in a jar until used so the KRAG scares me.
I had some Foster fire and hated it. Also, because I dip so many at one time, I really have no use for dip-n-goes.

I have found that there is an optimum thickness for Sludge Plus - too thin and it's hard to wind glass on without totally loosening the release - too thick and the release chips.

Thanks for the suggestions - off to Arrow Springs to order release.