LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-06-12, 9:24am

Default Graphite mandrels

I purchased one of these recently ~ have not used it yet.

I was at a show today and a experienced lamp worker ( I am a newbie...very wet behind my ears) told me she thought that you cannot put graphite into the flame for too long....it would explode.
I bought this from a store that I would not think would sell them if there was a change. Being new and not sure if I bought this for an incorrect application
(Its a triangle and I got excited when I saw that)I will be on a HH (104) for a bit until my ventalation is set up for my mini c.)
Better to check and be safe than sorry. Just thought I would check to see if someone has experience with this.
Thanks!
Old 2010-06-12, 10:06am
Micromosaic and Lampwork

If you are talking about the tool I think you are, the graphite is used as a tool not a mandrel to make the bead on. It is probably used for shaping or opening the neck or opening of a blown vessel. I haven't heard of any other uses for graphite other than shaping a bead or glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-06-12, 11:05am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Contrary to popular belief graphite will burn. It is carbon. Extended time in very hot flame will burn out the binders used to mfg it and cause the graphite to become soft and granular and start to slouf off and fall apart.
I believe Torched Art is right that you have purchased a 'reamer' used to work the glass, usually in openings like loops or cups.
Old 2010-06-13, 6:27am

I contacted the company I purchased these from and asked the same question....since I posted it here also I wanted to post what their reply is....

"The only way that graphite can explode in a flame is if that particular person happened to have washed the graphite in soap and water and didn't allow the graphite to dry properly. When introduced into the flame, it would have shattered. Remember, graphite is used for metal and glass casting, and will withstand temperatures of up to 5000ºF. Therefore, no way it will explode in a flame. People have been using graphite in flames for years with no problems."

Think when I finally go to use this I will be really careful......
Old 2010-06-14, 4:10pm
honorary bead lady

Is this what you are talking about?
THIS IS A SHAPING TOOL! Not a mandrel

But it's your money!
Old 2010-06-14, 5:24pm

David....no, that is not it.

This is what it is. It is sold as a mandrel.
Old 2010-06-14, 6:50pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Those are MARVERS..... Used externally for pushing and shaping glass....

They are NOT mandrels to form beads on......

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-06-14, 7:04pm
Present tense

I've always understood that graphite degrades with exposure to high heat. I wouldn't expect that piece to last more than a few flameworking sessions before crumbling.

Besides, I'm curious about how one would get the glass wrapped around. Mandrel-wound beads depend on initially "anchoring" the hot glass to the hot bead release to begin the wraps. Glass doesn't stick to graphite - that's why we like it - so it would be very tricky to get a wrap. I think, in concept, it would need to be used as more of a shaper to actually make "off-mandrel" triangles. (The graphite won't survive many trips through the kiln anyway.)

Good luck, and have fun experimenting!

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2010-06-14, 8:00pm
Tweedle Dumb

Yeah, I learned the hard way that they turn to dust after being exposed to high heat over and over again. I thought I was the smartest person in the world when I ordered a small graphite plate/sheet to place on the bottom of my kiln to protect the kiln floor. It was toast after about a week of daily firing. Black powder. All over. What a mess.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!