LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-18, 5:03pm

Default Best Bead and Wire Jewelry How To books?

Over on Amazon, I'm in the process of buying some how to books on turning your lampwork beads in to beautiful/sellable bead and precious metal wire jewelry. I used to make wire jewelry but it mostly featured gemstone beads and the focus was on the wirework. I want to make jewelry (eventually) that focuses on the beads!

Here is a list of the ones I like the looks of the best. If you have one of these books and have used them, Please comment on weather or not you'd recommend it. Or if you have more than one, I am especially trying to avoid buying books that are extremely similar. Thanks!

Simply Beautiful Beaded Jewelry - Heidi Boyd

Art Bead Jewelry: Seasons in Glass

A Touch of Glass: Designs for Creating Glass Bead Jewelry - Nancy Alden

Designing Jewelry with Glass Beads

Creating Wire and Beaded Jewelry

Beautiful Wire Jewelry for Beaders: Creative Wirework Projects for All Levels - Irina Miech

Bead on a Wire: Making Handcrafted Wire and Beaded Jewelry - Sharilyn Miller

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley
Old 2010-07-18, 6:22pm
Salt Box Beads

I go to Barnes and Noble or to the local bead store or to Jo Anns fabrics...they all have terrific books and I can thumb through them and choose what I want.
Old 2010-07-18, 8:04pm

Hi Lorraine, You're right, that would be the best way to find a book, but I live in a small town and we don't posess a book store, only a very small library, plus I live far out of town and don't get into town very often so unfortunately I must rely on online sources.

Old 2010-07-18, 8:36pm

Bead on a Wire: Making Handcrafted Wire and Beaded Jewelry - Sharilyn Miller

This one is excellent. Some of her newer ones aren't as good. But this on has basic to intermediate techniques in it.
Old 2010-07-18, 10:08pm

I second bead on a wire. Great book and the one i refer to most (and trust me, i have a very large stack of books lol).
Old 2010-07-19, 10:02am
Kerry with a Y not I

There is my book!!

Totally Twisted: Innovative Wire Work + Art Glass Jewelry

there are 11 reviews on amazon if you would like to read what other think of it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Written by ME! ~ Available March 2010 from Interweave Press

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
&
Old 2010-07-19, 10:17am

I get inter library loans. Even with a small library they can find books from all over the state. Great way to review the book before you buy. Most books can be checked out for a month.
Old 2010-07-21, 4:48am
Unmedicated since '62

i'll third "bead on a wire" and i've been making wire wrapped jewellery for years, that book is the BEST!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-07-21, 8:43am
Born Facing Left

This is a link to Connie Fox's website; her design CD is wonderful.

http://www.jatayu.com/Merchant2/merc...egory_Code=TBC

Eni Oken is also one of my favorites; she has a lot of tutorials available:

http://www.enioken.com/jewelry/lessons.html

When I was teaching myself wire wrapping techniques I worked through this book, step by step. I think it's a great book for beginners (I'm still a beginner, lol!):

http://www.amazon.com/All-Wired-Tech.../dp/188301073X

Old 2010-07-21, 9:03am
Queen Bee

My favorite is Bead on a Wire as well, it is excellent.

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2010-07-21, 10:14am

Default What I have

I've got all but two of these books so I'm thumbing through them to remember all that's in there lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyJo1969 View Post
Over on Amazon, I'm in the process of buying some how to books on turning your lampwork beads in to beautiful/sellable bead and precious metal wire jewelry. I used to make wire jewelry but it mostly featured gemstone beads and the focus was on the wirework. I want to make jewelry (eventually) that focuses on the beads!

Here is a list of the ones I like the looks of the best. If you have one of these books and have used them, Please comment on weather or not you'd recommend it. Or if you have more than one, I am especially trying to avoid buying books that are extremely similar. Thanks!

Simply Beautiful Beaded Jewelry - Heidi Boyd--This one uses a variety of things. Basic book showing the use of different beads. Gemstones, pearls, etc Nothing spectacular in the book for me. I don't use this one very often.

Art Bead Jewelry: Seasons in Glass- I have this and can't find it at the moment, will update later I think this was Karen Leonardo's second book.

A Touch of Glass: Designs for Creating Glass Bead Jewelry - Nancy Alden Don't have this one...looks kind of interesting

Designing Jewelry with Glass Beads- This is Stephanie Sersich's book. It's very basic and she uses a variety of her lampwork beads (and other's) and shows you how to incorporate it into jewelry pieces. This is not a step by step instruction book. More like inspiration and how you can assemble your lampwork beads. She has some really colorful beads!

Creating Wire and Beaded Jewelry- don't have this one.

Beautiful Wire Jewelry for Beaders: Creative Wirework Projects for All Levels - Irina Miech--I love this book! The wire wrapping techniques are basic to get you started but she has some really cool projects in here. Beaded toggles, beaded rings, beading fibulas and ways to wrap your lentil glass beads. This would be a must if you ask me.

Bead on a Wire: Making Handcrafted Wire and Beaded Jewelry - Sharilyn Miller Great book and the whole book is on wire wrapping techniques. From coils, spirals, how to work the wire, equipment and then she shows you how to incorporate beads, gemtones and other things into it.
It's a wealth of information!!! Another must
!
I second going to Barnes and NOble and browsing through them. Then you know exactly what your getting. Problem with that as you can see with me is that I end up walking out of there with 4-5 at a time!

Last edited by Reenie; 2010-07-21 at 10:17am.
Old 2010-07-21, 10:21am

And I forgot to mention. I got Kerry's book called "Totally Twisted" and I look through it every day.
It really is twisted!
It puts a twist on your lampwork beads that no one else has done!
It's signed too
So now there's 3 must have's in my opinion!

Old 2010-07-21, 11:20am
Karen James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
This is a GREAT book! I've had this book for quite some time and go back to it often.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG

Last edited by KJJames; 2010-07-21 at 11:21am. Reason: fixed quote
Old 2010-07-21, 11:39am

Kerry, thanks, I am most definitely buying your book! Deb, Lynda and Donna, thanks, Bead on a Wire is another I'll buy. Sheerie and Reenie and Karen, thanks for taking the time to post the links and your recommendations! Really appreciate it!

I also had forgot all about Eni Oken's site! I used to make wire wrapped stuff years ago but I really have mostly forgot how! Plus most of the wire stuff I used to make seemed to focus more on the wire and you didn't notice the beads as much. This time I want to make the beads I create (when they are good enough!) the main focus.

Thanks again,
Michele

Old 2010-07-21, 2:17pm
I'm not Barbie.

Bead on a Wire-hands down the best wire wrapping book I've ever owned. BUY IT!