No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-11-23, 9:19am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjones View Post
Posting a few pics...made this one last night and the color is good, I think. (the airbubble in one view, not so much LOL)

Beautiful colors Lisa (and at least you only have one bubble, I have hoards ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-05, 8:48pm
Formerly FishBulb

Astrid, I love the colours you got! I find Raku washes out for me when I try to encase it. Nice job!

I'm tickled to announce I'm finally getting somewhere with Raku. This is 96 Raku shards atop Hades:

Name:  P1020258.jpg
Views: 2274
Size:  44.4 KB

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-12-05, 9:18pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

DANG, Nita! Too cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitadee View Post

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-12-05, 9:24pm
Cat Winx

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimeral View Post
DANG, Nita! Too cool!
Ohhhhh, I agree Nita!

~Rachel

Old 2010-12-06, 6:55am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Angie that bracelet is sweet and your beads look great! That's the thing about raku, when it works it takes your breath away.

Old 2010-12-06, 3:17pm
Formerly FishBulb

Thank you Astrid! Yeah, it's a little like winning a lottery, isn't it? Woo hoo!

Old 2010-12-16, 8:15am
Hothead:loud and proud ;)

Thank you so very much for this tutorial. I bought this one rod of raku when I first started almost a year ago, and was the first "expensive" glass I purchased so I was always terrified to use it. The few times I did use it I got the tan, and sometimes to pale greens. My colors have improved a full 110% thanks to your tutorial. I'm proud to say that I got this bracelet to be featured in a "fancy" art store, and I fully owe it to you. Again, thank you

The clasp is handmade by me of PMC.

"Afternoon Lilies"

Old 2010-12-22, 10:18am
Formerly Kellyhorton

Forgive me if this was discussed here, but do you think that the lighter the application of raku, the better results? In other words, stringer basically vs the whole bead made out of raku.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-12-26, 8:15pm
Formerly FishBulb

Kelly, I've found I had better luck with either frit, dots or shards rather than a whole Raku bead. Of course I'm no pro, so maybe someone who can do whole beads like a champ (hey Dawn, you're needed here!) could say their opinion.

Old 2011-01-04, 8:31pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

well, dawn did say try making smaller beads, so that probably is the answer! I cannot make a small bead to save my life, ha ha ha. I am trying to master rose bud beads, and the first one I made was like four inches big, ha ha ha. hate to wear that sucker for an earring....no wonder it takes me so long to make a bead!

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2011-01-04, 8:38pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

this makes me wanna cry, or hang myself, not sure which, lol. gawd those are soooooooooo beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locococo View Post
Dawn..........great colors like always.
And thanks for the tip about Cim Charcoal, will try that, cause I hate, when my Effetre Black gets that small pits.
I tried first time to encase Raku, but the colors turn to pale.

Like Raku more that way.

Elke

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2011-01-05, 4:44am

You would have to go and post those pics. I love the raku both ways. That nautalus shell is TDF! Wonder if that is a press or hand done? I aspire to do this one day!
Old 2011-01-05, 5:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn >^..^< View Post
The smallest amount of frit you can get is 1/2 kilo. Just put .5 in the quantity box. That's a lot of frit but it sure saves you money if you go through a lot of it like me. =o)
What size frit do you prefer Dawn? If we have addressed this, sorry I missed it.
Old 2011-01-05, 7:10am
Help i am on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly designs 56 View Post
this makes me wanna cry, or hang myself, not sure which, lol. gawd those are soooooooooo beautiful
save some rope for me i love raku it doesn't love me
Old 2011-01-05, 7:17am
Evil Glass Enabler

Don't feel lonely. The only time I can get decent color out of raku is if the temperature here is below 52 and it prefers lower than that. *HUGS* Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead-meltdown View Post
save some rope for me i love raku it doesn't love me

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-01-06, 8:33am

Thanks for the nice compliments
That ammonite was made with a german press.

Thanks
Elke
Old 2011-01-06, 8:46am
Resident hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique_redhead View Post
. . . The only time I can get decent color out of raku is if the temperature here is below 52 and it prefers lower than that. *HUGS* Angelique

I should just get out to the studio and try - it is about to start snowing here again tomorrow.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-01-06, 8:47am
JulieV

I just bought this - and it comes with a video too. Kevan actually shows you how 'strike' raku in the vid. I know it sure opened my eyes! To actually SEE it done was amazing!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/26344322...ess-glass-bead

Old 2011-01-06, 9:08am
Evil Glass Enabler

You should. All I have to do to get decent color when it's that cold is wave the bead in the air and the color pops! Good luck! Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadanna View Post
I should just get out to the studio and try - it is about to start snowing here again tomorrow.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-05-04, 11:22am
Cat herder

Gotta say, this worked perfectly! Got the colors I wanted on my first attempt! Thanks!

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-05-04, 12:57pm

For those of you who make raku twisties, what black is your favorite?

Old 2011-05-07, 3:52pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahbeads View Post
For those of you who make raku twisties, what black is your favorite?
I've never made twisties with it (another thing I need to try) but I do like using Uroboros black under raku, it's 96 COE. If you want to try it Howaco Glass has it and she sells by the rod.

So regarding the twisties, I'm assuming ppl buy a rod of raku? Just curious.

Old 2011-05-07, 5:06pm
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
Gotta say, this worked perfectly! Got the colors I wanted on my first attempt! Thanks!
I'm looking, but don't see any pictures!
Old 2011-05-08, 10:22am
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I'm looking, but don't see any pictures!
I got the colors, but the bead itself isn't worth taking pictures of. I just wanted to say the description of the technique was perfect.

Here's a crappy phone pic, though. I just slapped some black on a mandrel, put on some frit, heated it, marvered it (with a little too much pressure, so it got distorted), and flashed it in the flame a few times.:

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-05-11, 6:37pm
Loving learning

That sounds doable even for me (maybe a few tries, LOL) thanks for the picture!
Old 2011-05-14, 3:09pm

getting color out of raku is one of my goals!!!!!!!i'll give it a try with my new torch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 2011-05-14, 4:51pm
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
That sounds doable even for me (maybe a few tries, LOL) thanks for the picture!
Just follow the directions in post 405. It'll happen the first time! This is a great tutorial!

No fancy signature yet.
Old 2011-05-19, 3:42am

This was made back when iris orange raku was all the rage...around 2006.I couldn't find the frit anywhere..it was sold out at all the places I bought glass.So I was able to get it in 2-3MM size rods and Just smashed it into odd sized pieces..melted it onto Moretti Ivory ,hand marvered the barrel beads and handled them as any other bead.I was a brand new newbie but drooled over all the beads for auction on Ebay Mine were not encased.I love the different colors from the different sized frit..kinda like a box of chocolates..you never know what you're going to get

I seem to have adjusted the color more in the large pic..the little slice is more accurate and has more pretty blues in it..I DO need photography help..lol
"

Old 2011-05-20, 1:56pm

Default Raku

I'm a Newbie and I am droooling over these Raku beads. Can someone please tell me where I can purchase some and is it frit or rod or both?

Thanks
Chris S.
Old 2011-05-20, 3:42pm
Evil Glass Enabler

It's a good thing you hit the chat room with the evil glass enabler there. I'm glad I was able to help. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimi115 View Post
I'm a Newbie and I am droooling over these Raku beads. Can someone please tell me where I can purchase some and is it frit or rod or both?

Thanks
Chris S.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry