Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-01-18, 5:58pm

Default Old Spring Luster

I have a rod (probably more) labeled 'old spring luster'. Haven't used it before today and well...yuck. It looks so pretty on the paddles on the posters. Part of it was encased, part wasn't and the whole thing was butt ugly.
How can I make it pretty? Today I swiped it over moss and spiral encased with clear. Not a bead, it was a starfish so it took awhile. Maybe worked it too long? It did get some of that weird overcooked look that some greens get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-18, 6:09pm
Harold Williams Cooney

put something light under it, something with silver but not something blue, green or black.

kiln low, use thin and if you must use solid and in thickness consider what gold fume will get you (i.e. honey comb).

i know how you feel. I have several pounds of "old spring luster" which in fact at one time was "new spring luster" and has now (I was told and have confirmed with last order) been replaced with "original spring luster"; i'm back to being happy.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-01-18, 6:29pm

Thanks Harold! I'll try that tomorrow. I'll ponder something light with silver but not blue, green or black tonight and see if I have something.
And about the old, new, original...it's getting like soft glass with some colors.

Old 2010-01-18, 7:00pm

butterscotch? caramel? silver strike?

I'll have to try that. I've only use white before.
Old 2010-01-18, 7:39pm
Miss my BoBo Griff

how about yellow. Let us know what ya try

Old 2010-01-18, 7:54pm

Oooh yellow. Good idea Chris, I have lots of #9! I like the Caramel idea too. I'll def let you know.

Old 2010-01-19, 3:43pm

I don't have a lot of luck encasing it. If you do, I find you have to get it so hot it goes almost clear, and then you can get some good colors. For surface decoration it works really well. Just keep work it hot and clear in a high oxy flame.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-01-19, 5:39pm

Hmmmm. On that thing I did yesterday that parts that were unencased got that livery look. Maybe it's the high oxy flame I'm missing. With oxycons...well you know. Thanks Eric. If I ever get back to tanked I'll try this glass again. Right now I'm putting it up for awhile. This is what I got today and eh. No likey.
L to R- Butterscotch under spring luster, tan silver creek under sl, yellow #9 under sl, all encased with clear. Look all pretty much the same don't they?

Old 2010-01-19, 6:44pm
boro color bender

It's one of my favorites over white... thin layer and cook the snot out of it... POW! Gorgeous...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-01-19, 9:08pm
The Venerable Bead

mr smiley turned me on to spring luster last year and this is just SL and clear over white http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=37511706 (well to be honest I use momka's pistachio instead of white because there's just something about the consistency of that darn glass that makes my hearts so much easier to shape) anyway the SL needs at least an 1150 degree annealing temp. I think my kiln runs hot so you may want to crank it to 1250. rebecca are you cranking your kiln?

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2010-01-20, 6:42am

So that's what it's supposed to look like! Okay, back to the drawing board.

Old 2010-01-20, 8:50am
Pyromaniac

Yes, it looks like your spring luster isn't striking. Spring luster will tend to get that surface haze depending on how you work it...but even with the surface coloration it will strike out pretty nice, at least that's what I have found on my concentrator setup.

Work it fast and hot though and you get colors like Paula's when you kiln strike. In the pieces you pictured, all the orangey/amber areas should become amazing colors if you put them in the kiln again at a high enough temperature to strike.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-01-20, 8:57am

Yeah? OK, cool! On with Experiment Part II.