Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-12-26, 10:54am
And silence is golden

Default Bead kiln for annealing 1 foot tall boro sculptures

I am debating the crossover to boro just to do a few projects. Right now I have an AIM 84BD bead kiln, with a Fuji controller that is 120 volt, amperage 16, and maximum cone 06. The objects that I am considering annealing, won't have extreme density. Will my kiln be able to do the job, or will I have to make a few changes? If this is possible, would anyone be able to share the annealing ramp schedule for the AIM kiln for boro glass

One of the changes that I am considering is to add another ring of fire brick to accommodate the height of the object. In doing this, will it change the kilns' ability to anneal properly?

I found this interesting thread where a Chili Pepper kiln is used for annealing borosilicate glass.

Thank you

Last edited by Shrimp; 2013-12-26 at 11:07am.
Old 2013-12-26, 8:52pm
He can do the origami

As long as you are talking about annealing and not striking, as long as your kiln can reach and maintain 1050F degrees, you can anneal boro. The basic annealing temperature for 33 coe glass is 1050 degrees and the strain point is 950 degrees.

I am not sure if you have a digital controller but If I am not mistaken, cone 6 is between 2165 and 2269 degreesF.

Striking and annealing temperatures are a bit different but if your kiln is capable of these temperatures you should have no problem.

A chilipepper is just fine for annealing boro. It will strike boro as well.
Old 2013-12-26, 11:16pm
And silence is golden

Thanks Otter. I was going to IM you on Facebook about this, but I didn't want to bother you. My goal at the moment is to work with clear. I assume there is no need to worry about striking that!

May I ask what your opinion is regarding the Aim kiln that I have, and the question in the bold print that I posted?
Old 2013-12-27, 1:25am
He can do the origami

If I recall, that kiln was designed to be stackable so adding another ring of brick to add internal dimension should be fine. Again, as long as your kiln can reach and maintain an annealing temp and have a controlled ramp down your idea should work. The extra space should not prevent the kiln from annealing properly because this kiln was designed to be expandable. At worse, your kiln will be under powered but you should still reach 1050 degrees.

You may want to test your kiln and see how far your temperature drops when you load it from the top after you add an extra ring. A massive swing in temperature COULD be an issue but it doesn't have to mean automatic catastrophic failure.

Shameless plug here..... I know kilns are expensive but I just got my new kiln from The Glass Hive for a very similar reason. My old kiln simply was not big enough to accommodate the size of pieces I make most of the time anymore. They custom built a kiln I could run on the same electrical circuit I was already using so I did not have to run a 220v circuit. The new kiln is very large and I am able to load large pieces from the front and I have the option of opening a smaller door for pendants etc.

Shrimp, feel free to contact me on FB if you have any questions.

Otter