Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2006-02-18, 3:43pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

Default photographing pendants????

Hi

What is a way to photograph pendants that hang from a bail? I have a light cube and they don't look very good laying down - I need to rig something to hang them from but I'm clueless. Tried two kiln stands with fishing line but they fell down because I'm a physics wizard.

This shouldn't be so hard...

Thanks for your help!
Audra
Old 2006-02-19, 7:56am

Here's a set-up that was used for earrings, but I'm sure you could rig something similar for a pendant: http://www.lapidaryart.com/project_images/prj1017.html

Note that the hanging bar was later erased using Photoshop.

You are right: this shouldn't be so hard! (chuckle)

JanMD
Old 2006-02-19, 9:24am

Hi,

I was able to do it with an empty one-gallon milk jug. Cut out the front of the milk jug so you have a place for your camera lens - it needs to be a big enough opening so you can get your hand in there. Ok, now take a piece of fishing line that is big enough to span the interior with a little big of a sag to it. Tie a washer on one end, and a short piece of wire or a finishing nail on the other. Use the wire or finishing nail of the same size to poke a hole at the same point on both sides. (I usually just get it hot with torch and poke the plastic.) OK, now thread the nail and fishing line through the hole on one side, then through the bead, and then trough the other side. The nail should then be used like a toggle so it doesn't pull back through the plastic. The washer on the other end will keep it from pulling through from that side. Let the bead stop swinging and start taking pictures. Hope this helps.

Eric

Eric
Old 2006-02-19, 9:25am

You can also use a mandrel that you have painted white, but you will still have to edit it out in photo shop.

Eric
Old 2006-02-19, 4:14pm
GET YOUR BEAD ON!!!!

The milk jug idea is neat - I think I'll try it - I would like to rig something up in my light tent so I have consistent backdrops so I'll keep working on it. The mandrel idea may work too - maybe I could hang it from a clear stringer or rod? Hmmm...back to the drawing table.

Thanks!
Audra

Thanks for your help!
Old 2006-02-19, 8:06pm
Sheila

I've used a clear glass rod stuck into two blocks of that green florist foam to photograph earrings, like this:

Name:  amber_purple_chand_earrings.png
Views: 855
Size:  14.8 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.