Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

View Poll Results: What style torch do you use
I use a hothead or other air/fule torch. 191 26.75%
I use a single stage o2/fuel torch. 360 50.42%
I use a 2 stage torch with 2 posts. 91 12.75%
I use a 2 stage torch with 4 posts with a foot pedal. 43 6.02%
I use a 2 stage torch with 4 posts but no foot pedal. 44 6.16%
I use a 3 stage torch. 18 2.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 714. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-05-10, 11:10am

Default torches

I have a HH, Minor, Mini CC, Lynx (runs with 2 5 lpm concentrators) 2 port Barracuda, Red Max with premix, 4 port Phantom with smutboy peddle (runs with 2 integra 10 concentrators, and a 50mm Herbie. I use the phantom mostly and love it.
Old 2007-06-08, 4:06pm

I have a two stage two post. I just got a major with a minor as an upgrade from a hot hea. I love it!
Old 2007-07-20, 9:15pm

I guess mine is a three stage Arnold Zenit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-07-20, 9:45pm

Several Japanese air-burning torches, Minor burner, Mini CC, Red Max, & Bullet burner. So, I fall in several categories.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2007-08-04, 5:43pm
William Hagy

All of the equipment in my signature and hten some beyond the Gibberson burners in my furnace and glory.

~W~

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2007-08-05, 9:07pm
Mandrel Slayer

I got a Hellcat at the gathering so I change mine to 2 stage with 4 posts and no foot pedal, but its on my wish list.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2007-09-13, 6:30pm
burnin' glass just becuz

lol...maybe this is a stupid question... but why do some of you own so many torches? and do you switch connections between them or have them all set separately?

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2007-09-18, 9:11pm
Lampworker

got my delta-mag today, got it set up but havent used it yet...luckly i already have an alumized kevlar suit and face shield. cant wait to start pulling out huge piece of cane.
Old 2007-10-15, 10:17pm

I use a fireworks i'm guessing that's a hothead.
Old 2007-10-30, 10:36pm

Default fire

i use a minor but would like to upgrade to a torch that will make small pipes and bubblers that is not too expensive maybe 500 dollars any suggestions
Old 2007-11-05, 5:21pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

I'm on a rapidly failing HH, but desperately wanting a minor Nortel!

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2007-12-20, 2:53pm

for bead making, with what little expiriance i have the lynx is the #1
Old 2008-01-21, 9:45am

If your going to get a larger torch. spend the money for a 4 stud. Foot pedal is a must.

Phantom, Natural Gas/w booster, og 15 for center fire Tank for outer fire. And a foot pedal.

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-01-23 at 6:04pm.
Old 2008-02-22, 9:38am
Janet Prentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smutboy420 View Post
I have been wondering about the demographics of different torch users and the torch style used in the different fields of lamp working. So this poll will be aimed mainly at the world of beads and bead makers.

What style torch do you use.
My hubbie is going to buy me a torch and I have a question. I made larger beads, (well for me 35-50 mm. long.) I am using a Lynx now on an 02 genarator. My choices are: Bethleham Barracuda, Red Max Torch w/pre-mix top torch or the Cheetah. Who has worked with any of these or any information would be helpful.
Thank You,
Janet Prentice
I need one soon as my auctions are few and I just can't work on a minor anymore.

eBay auctions up and running again soon.

Old 2008-03-04, 7:14am
Smooches!

Janet - go for the GTT Cheetah! I absolutly love mine! That thing rocks! Oh, I just upgraded from my lynx, which also rocked, but wanted a bigger torch. Go figure!

Miss Kate

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Last edited by Miss Kate; 2008-03-04 at 7:16am. Reason: adding info
Old 2008-03-28, 11:31am

minor baby- minor

Old 2008-03-28, 6:38pm

Love, love, love my Red Max.

Old 2008-03-29, 9:39am
Don't be a zombie...

I always kinda thought this post was too old to reply but it manages to stay here. Over the years I have used Major/minors, major/premix, Carlisle CC, National 6b's with the htc1 tip, barracuda and at the moment a lynx. Well I am sold on GTT now as many people are, it will be my last brand of torch unless something else comes out in the future that is unseen. Next I think I will go after a phantom or mirage and be happy forever.
Old 2008-03-29, 3:36pm
Tonbodama Murrini maker

Also a 2 stage 2 post and the Foot pedal is being made - Bullet Knight

Can't wait till i can hook it on

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2008-03-29, 4:29pm

There are some truly great torches out there. And It always seems like the people that own them are very loyal. So heres what I propose. Every torch manufacturer should send me their torches so I can test them. Pretty good idea right?
Scott

ESTY
Old 2008-05-02, 8:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Studios View Post
If your going to get a larger torch. spend the money for a 4 stud. Foot pedal is a must.

Phantom, Natural Gas/w booster, og 15 for center fire Tank for outer fire. And a foot pedal.

Scott, which booster do you use?

Old 2008-05-02, 2:09pm

Ellen, I use the G-Tec 15 which is a little under powered for the Phantom. If I run an insane flame it will consume fuel faster then the G-tec can compress it, and shut the unit down.
Scott

ESTY
Old 2008-05-08, 2:57pm

Thanks Scott !

Old 2008-12-30, 7:39am

Was using a minor but just got my mini cc up and running - and I love it!! Maybe some day I'll work up to one of the bigger ones.
Old 2009-01-03, 10:39pm
Critter Mom

I have a GTT Lynx and a Mirage ... I prefer my little Lynx, the Mirage scares me !!!

Last edited by Puddy Tat Glass; 2009-02-07 at 9:07pm.
Old 2009-02-07, 12:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinCoquille View Post
I have a GTT Lynx and a Mirage ... I prefer my little Lynx, the Mirage scares me !!!
You do know the mirage has a center fire of a lynx...right? So why do you have both?
Old 2009-02-07, 9:17pm
Critter Mom

After my husband built my studio, he told me to get whatever equipment I thought I wanted or might need and since I knew only what I had read in magazines about lampworking I thought I needed one for soft glass and one for boro. I do know now that I could have just gone with the Mirage and since I've done a little boro but love my soft glass I have been thinking about selling it. I feel a little guilty about hanging onto it and the foot controls that go with it when the $$ could go to better use...gonna have to give it some more thought.

Old 2009-02-07, 10:26pm

A mirage with a foot pedal is my dream torch right now. I dont have enough $$ for that for a while. Your lucky to have a great husband.
Old 2009-02-08, 9:00am
Critter Mom

Yep, I sure did luck out finding my guy and managing to hang onto him for 31 years has made my life 'bout as perfect as a life can get.

Old 2009-02-21, 8:44pm
Bust It Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredinCoquille View Post
and the foot controls that go with it when the $$ could go to better use...gonna have to give it some more thought.
I could definately put that foot pedal to some good use if your thinking about letting go. If you haven't used the mirage very much then you can more than likely get back almost all you paid for it. Gtt's hold their vaule better than any other torches especially if they have little use.