Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-30, 6:22pm
Mary Lockwood

Default What did you do as a newbie that you don't do anymore?

I just got done with a marathon mandrel-cleaning-dipping session and every single time I do that I quietly thank Mary Beth Callahan- novembersfyre beads- for freeing me of the way I used to do it when I was a newbie.

How I did it then:

Draw a sink full of hot soapy water. Add mandrels. Scrub each mandrel individually with steel wool, rinse and set to dry on a towel. Repeat 500 times.

When all the mandrels are dry- roll each one across the table to make sure it is perfectly straight, then dip it carefully into the release and stand up to dry in my sand bucket.

How I do it now:
Grab all the mandrels in one hand, run them under hot water. Squirt the bundle with dishsoap and rub them all together vigourously. Rinse. Set them on a towel.

Take a handful of mandrels and stick them down into the bead release jar. Pull them out one at a time and stick them in the sand bucket. Any crooked ones get rejected at the torch.

Time saved over the past 5 years- approximately 6 months. LOL

Another thing I did as a newbie that I don't do anymore is carefully inspect, fondle and wash every single glass rod that comes in an order.

Now I just take a rod from the rubber banded bundle, stick the end of it in my quench bowl and use a towel from under my bench to wipe the rod.

Large diameter clear still gets washed...but that's it.

I am SO glad that I lightened up and quit spending so much time on stuff that didn't make a bit of difference.

So- how 'bout you?

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-07-30, 7:03pm
offically down under

I don't even wash my mandrels anymore. I remove my beads while the bead release is still dry over a piece of paper towel so I catch the mess. Once the bead is off, I "roll" the mandrel through the pliers to break off the remainder of the bead release. Bent mandrels get sorted at the same time.

Old 2009-07-30, 7:24pm
I speak Murrini!

What a cute thread idea!!! Hum....let's see - several things come to mind:

* Admiration of one's newly-created bead is best done after it comes out of the kiln and is cool; gazing too long and a hot little number caused many a cracked beauty!

* Never say "never" when it comes to getting burns! Pfftttt! I've had a few hum-dingers this last year! Youzers!

* Never say "never" when it comes to trying something new - and BELIEVE if I try, and practice - I can achieve it!

* Share lots! Share tips, techniques, tools and encouragement! This art is too precious to covet and risk extinction! Very few of my "secrets" are really worth keeping - and far better given than kept.

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-07-30, 7:25pm
Flame Dames Rule!

In my first class I was told that when glass rods got too short to hold, you set them aside. Then later sort by color and heat the ends and stick them together to make longer rods. What a waste of good torch time!

Now I just grab a new rod, heat the end, and pick up the short and continue making beads!

*s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2009-07-30, 7:35pm
Ambivitreous

Still a relative newb, but...

I no longer panic if my bead is not in the flame or flashed at least every 7 seconds. The first teacher I had made me kind of paranoid with emphatic prompts to "flash!!!"

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2009-07-30, 8:20pm
Critter Mom

When I made my first kitty it didn't take me quite 2 hours, but it sure seemed like it and when I finally got to the end and I was adding the last little details, like my signature or kitty toes I'd start thinking..."Oh my God I'm almost ready to put it in the kiln, gotta keep it hot, gotta keep it hot" and that would cause me to start shaking so bad I could hardly keep the bead in the flame !

What I do now...chew gum, listen to the t.v., sing songs (only when I'm alone) and occasionally, if I'm working on an unusually difficult piece, take a deep breath. Now I figure if it breaks I'll just make me another one...and this keeps me from shaking.

Old 2009-07-30, 8:26pm
Mr Brutus RIP

When I first started I felt like I had to race to get my bead "finished" and in the kiln.
Now I relax and enjoy the peace and quiet I have making beads! I also dont' have shaky hands anymore once I started to relax. I agree bonnie, I can just make another one!! LOL
As for my mandrels, I pull the beads off after soaking, scrap them on the edge of my bowl, wipe them quickly over a green scratch pad and redip. LOL

Old 2009-07-30, 8:35pm
Incognito

I don't think I ever blinked. Now I blink and like Bonnie now I chew gum watch T.V. and yes i was really paranoid about flashing. Not so much anymore and I am not as diligent about scrubbing and sorting and dipping mandrels as I used to be and I think Mary is right... I saved BIG time with not washing all that glass and scrubbing mandrels.

If you are all wrapped up in yourself, you are overdressed.
Old 2009-07-30, 10:30pm
Mary Lockwood

LOL, those are some goodies! I think we are seeing a lot of common denominators here.

I remembered another one:

I used to hold my breath at the torch all the time. I would be doing a dot bead and getting all focused on it and suddenly realize my brain was screaming for oxygen.

Don't forget to breath and blink! LOL

I still have to clean mandrels wet though because I got the willies just reading about doing it dry. LOL Something about the feel of it gives me goosebumps. Yikes.

I use foster fire and if you do strip the mandrels while dry, it comes off in a nice solid tube. Some of the releases though are kinda powdery so for anyone reading this post that doesn't know any better- don't breathe that in. It's a bad idea.

Keep 'em coming you guys...you're making me feel all nostalgic.

~~Mary

Old 2009-07-30, 10:48pm
I need more boro stuff

I guess I'm still a newbie even after 2 years I'm still doing all those things, Mary.

Old 2009-07-30, 11:53pm

Work on a Hot Head! I did the math. Fuel was not adding up. This was before I even had an idea what a good torch is and how to judge a good torch when
it was staring me in the face.

So to answer the question. I do the research first instead of buying first'
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2009-07-31 at 12:09am.
Old 2009-07-31, 4:05am
Unmedicated since '62

i'm still a newb but having nobody to show me how i...

dip my mandrels same as mary - whole bunch in the jar pull out one at a time

throw new glass in the dishwasher

i hold my breath so much i see spots and my eyes get dry from not blinking

i still flinch and scream when the glass shocks (yeah i'm a wus) but i'm getting better

i'm learning when to stop - the multiple dots, stringer work and goldstone might be just overdoing it....

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-07-31, 4:06am
Striking-impared...

Oh yeah, definitely the mandrel cleaning and glass washing come to mind.

Another one is I used to dip all my mandrels with lots of release (as in covering the first 4 or 5 inches of the mandrel) and then work my bead 3 inches down.

Finally one day it dawned on me that I only needed to dip maybe 3 inches and make the bead near the end of the mandrel -- I wouldn't have to work so hard to get the bead off!

(Obviously I still "dip long" if I plan to make a long bead, but otherwise...it's a waste of release.)

Other things: working too hot (constantly distoring my beads, both round and pressed) and rotating the mandrel like a tornado. Slower and cooler is better!

Old 2009-07-31, 8:01am
Mary Lockwood

Deb, I am not sure that the flinch/scream thing is something you ever completely get over. LOL

I don't scream, but a very colorful word pops out of my mouth, that's for sure!

Now I'm trying to think of things I did as a newbie that I STILL do. LOL

That would be the first on the list.

Second- ummm...

My husband would probably comment on my clean work area. I can have dishes in the sink but my workbench is spotless and organized. He said that would never last. He thought (and I secretly agreed) that once the newness wore off of the whole glass thing that my work area would be trashed. Nope. Still clean.

OH, and I still clean my beads the same and I've never soaked them before removing them from the mandrels. I just grab the mandrel with vise grips and twist the bead off under running water. Clean the holes with a diamond bit in my dremel and set them on a towel to dry and await their photo shoot. Nothing has changed there. I've even been using the same drill bit for 5 years. LOL The chuck of my dremel is rusted or froze up somehow probably from being wet and I can't get the bit out. Needless to say- it is getting very short. Probably when it is too short to use, or if it breaks I'll buy a new dremel.

~~Mary

Old 2009-07-31, 8:03am
Mary Lockwood

OH, I don't say a prayer every time I light the torch anymore. That first week or so I was convinced I was gonna kill us all.

Old 2009-07-31, 8:35am

Mary--WD40 & a Wrench will likely break your dremel chuck free (I've done that service for a few folks who've brought them into the hardware store....with the "if I break it I'm NOT responsible" disclaimer!) You might only have to replace the chuck~about $12

I'm not afraid to light the torch anymore (I'll even light them for other people!!)

I don't try to spin the bead in the same direction all the time anymore (seriously, is that even possible?) at the speed of light ....No wonder I was spinning the darn things right out of my fingers & across the table!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-07-31, 9:07am
He can do the origami

The number one thing I did as a nubee but don't do anymore..... I used to buy into this fantasy that I would improve and be able to do the things I want and make nice glass art.

I no longer suffer that delusion... I just accepted the fact I am a glass hack... it is easier that way

Otter
Old 2009-07-31, 9:11am
I speak Murrini!

Luna!

This is fun! Still hold my breath tho...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-07-31, 10:43am
Yup.

Awesome thread! Most of mine are related to cost and safety.

Safety:
-I no longer leave my torch running when I leave the room
-I used enamels without concern to dust... I now use a water pan to capture waste instead of my bench and I'm very particular about my ventilation placement (back across the bench not up and in front of me)
-i pay attention to the quality of my ventilation now
-i once used my vacuum for clean up... bad idea with glass dust/enamels
-i once had a pile of lighters on the corner of the bench

Mental safety:
-I now keep the COEs far, far away from each other
-I'm better at knowing when I should just walk away from the torch
-I've refined my music and movie preferences, fine tuned my bench side entertainment system. i know this is important now
-I use charts. Lotsa lotsa charts. I track how much I work each day, what I have in stock, what I need to make in which colors. I like to watch my charts...

money:
-i save my shorts... even my stringer shorts
-I recover as much waste enamel as possible sifting over large color-specific jars (over my water tray to keep the rest of the waste from becoming airborne)
-I order more wisely, keeping a running list of needed supply in order of priority.
-I think about tools for a while before buying them... I only get awesome, necessary tools now... and those are getting more and more expensive.
-I've learned that glass fun and glass business need to have to different "budgets"

Things I still do:
-get mad
-break beads
-bend mandrels
-get beads stuck on the mandrel
-want to use the vacuum
-use release I shouldn't because it's too icky
-dance a lot at the torch
-dunk too many beads
-crack beads
-shock rods
-get glass so hot it drops off the mandrel... then I have to remind myself not to pick it up and put the chuncky smoking pile of glass back onto the mandrel. That's my humbling never gonna stop feeling like a newbie moment.

~
~

Last edited by JCHerrellGlass; 2009-07-31 at 10:49am.
Old 2009-07-31, 11:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
The number one thing I did as a nubee but don't do anymore..... I used to buy into this fantasy that I would improve and be able to do the things I want and make nice glass art.

I no longer suffer that delusion... I just accepted the fact I am a glass hack... it is easier that way

Otter
ME TOO!!!
(but I still get excited when something "new" kinda "clicks" for me )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-07-31, 11:22am

Let's see...wasn't much safety info openly available when I started, so I'm now working way safer in terms of ventilation and eyewear than when I started.

Took me a while to remember to keep my mandrel level as I worked and to remember to keep spinning my bead until I was done and not get distracted. Had lots of 'table decorations' when I was first starting.

I also used to try to work too fast. I took a beginner's class from Bernadette Fuentes - learned a lot from her. To this day, I hear her voice saying "Slow is fast, fast is slow". Really improved my work.

Fun thread!
Linda
Old 2009-07-31, 12:04pm
BeadsonCypress

hand clean the bead release out of each bead and wash 10 time.....now, dremel wash dry....

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-07-31, 12:58pm
Out walking the dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post

* Share lots! Share tips, techniques, tools and encouragement! This art is too precious to covet and risk extinction! Very few of my "secrets" are really worth keeping - and far better given than kept.

De
That is awesome!

I do still hold my breath all the time and still think I am going to blow up the house but I have learned that adding more glass to "save" an ugly bead won't help. Chuck it in the water and start again.

Old 2009-07-31, 1:20pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Besides the obvious (I no longer catch on fire as much)

I don't worry about people copying me anymore.
More power to them. I should be 10 steps ahead of anyone
copying anything I do. If I love a design SO much that I am
full of anxiety about anyone copying it, then I should bury
it in concrete and never expose it to anyone's eyes .

Also, Like Otter said, I'm kind of a hack too. Yeah, I've done a
lot of high and mighty things, but for the most part, I just love
what I do and don't stress about all the little things. Melting glass
is fun!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-07-31, 3:35pm

Things I don't do anymore:
1.Water anneal my bead when something goes wrong. I'm comfortable enough with the glass now that I can just let myself play a bit with shapes and colors - sometimes what comes out of the kiln is ick but sometimes its pretty cool.
2. Dremel clean my beads. Since I discovered KRAG all I have to do literally is run the mandrel up and down on the inside of the bead a couple of times and even the transparents look great.
3. Rough up new mandrels - KRAG sticks to the mandrels from the get go, and one round through the torch/kiln and they are ready for any other release
4. Stand up to torch, my back and legs are just too old for that
5. Worry about only turning the mandrel away from me. Now I turn it whichever way works best for what I'm doing.

What I have learned is to relax and have fun with my glass, and to not be afraid to experiment.

Old 2009-07-31, 3:36pm

I just told DH the title of this thread. His response to what I did as a newbie but don't do any more

"Use cheap glass"

Old 2009-07-31, 3:48pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz View Post
I just told DH the title of this thread. His response to what I did as a newbie but don't do any more

"Use cheap glass"
Yeah, that's probably what mine would say too.
Boro goes for 40-65$ a lb, and silver glass is more expensive
than caviar. I miss the days of 10$ a lb (and less) glass.
I've developed some expensive tastes in glass now (damn all you LE
people and your beautiful beads!).

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-07-31, 3:53pm
Out walking the dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz View Post
2. Dremel clean my beads. Since I discovered KRAG all I have to do literally is run the mandrel up and down on the inside of the bead a couple of times and even the transparents look great.
3. Rough up new mandrels - KRAG sticks to the mandrels from the get go, and one round through the torch/kiln and they are ready for any other release
What the heck is KRAG? I hate cleaning my beads and am Dremel cleaning them still.

Old 2009-07-31, 4:43pm
sunscreen me baby

I no longer:

Stand. I learned standing because the torch wasn't set up at a good height for a chair. When I got home I thought it was a good idea in case I had to run. My legs are so much happier now.

Keep every teeny tiny stringer no matter what. What is a stringer, a gram of glass? maybe? When I'm done using a set of stringer I have no idea when I will use again, I throw it out. *gasp*

Making a rods worth of spacers at the beginning of each session. After 5 years of bead making I'm proud to say I can make a round bead at command

~

Old 2009-07-31, 4:58pm

Gwen,
KRAG is a bead release made by Kittrell Riffkind - an art glass studio in Texas. You have to call them directly to order it, but I've always had excellent customer service from them. The one drawback to KRAG that I have found is that the release will start to crack after about 24hours on the mandrel, so it's not a good release if you like to dip a weeks worth of mandrels at a time. I don't have any problems with it sticking on the mandrel if it is freshly dipped - I've used it for small boro pieces with no problem.
Here is the link
http://www.kittrellriffkind.com/