Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-08-11, 7:54pm
Booger #7

Default Incompatibility issues with yellows?

Hey Everyone!

I seem to be having a problem with what I think is Moretti/Effetre Bright Acid Yellow #416. I have made a couple of flower beads and each time the petals fall off at the contact point to the base bead. I have made literally hundreds of these beads, so I don't think it is "user error" as other beads of the same style different colors that I have made at the same time have been fine!

Anyone else ever have issues with this color? It is annoying me to death!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-08-11, 7:57pm
Sorry for party rockin'

I had an entire batch of acid yellow beads crack because I encased them . .. I didn't know you weren't supposed to do that!

What is your base color that you're attaching your yellow petals to? Maybe that's the problem . . . . try a different base bead color and see if they still fall off!

Old 2009-08-11, 8:19pm
Booger #7

Pea Green! I didn't know you couldn't encase it! For a minute I thought it might have been a rod of BE that got mixed up with my 104, but I have very little BE and I don't remember ever buying a rod of yellow!

Old 2009-08-11, 9:19pm
I fart diamonds

There shouldn't be any problems with that color combo. I've used it lots of times. bad batch, maybe?

Old 2009-08-11, 9:30pm
Booger #7

Maybe! I think I better order more and pitch what is left of this. I bought it years ago so hopefully it isn't a problem now!

Old 2009-08-11, 9:41pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

A very good friend of mine used her yellows in a "pot melt" fusing project, all the same 96coe, and her bowl she made from the pot melt (breathtakingly beautiful!) developed cracks along each line where the yellow met another color. It was suggested that due to past experience from several people, that yellows might be prone to "coe shift". I don't know if this is provable, scientifically, but it was the only thing people could come up with. She tried it again, using brand new coe 96 (so there was no doubt that it was all the same coe) and got the same cracking problem on the yellow perimeters.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2009-08-11, 10:13pm
Booger #7

Hmmmmm maybe yellow just sucks and I should avoid it!

Old 2009-08-11, 11:21pm
Ad astra per aspera

I have to wonder if it's a freaky batch. I've encased acid yellow in all sorts of ways over the years with no problems. Leah Fairbanks teaches encasing acid yellow with cobalt blue and pulling it out for a deep green stringer. It's lovely! I've encased full beads with a yellow base with no problem, too. Hmmmmm. What clear were you using?

Oh, wait....ARE you encasing at all? I re-read your post and it doesn't sound like that's the issue. What color are you attaching the yellow to?

Old 2009-08-12, 3:53am

You know I made a lentil in Bullseye with a yellow base and encased it - and yes it cracked - just incase I didn't heat it right (as I used a press) I tried it again - and it cracked again - I guess the yellow doesn't like to be encased!!

Glad (but not glad) that it wasn't just me!
Old 2009-08-12, 4:10am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue H-K View Post
Maybe! I think I better order more and pitch what is left of this. I bought it years ago so hopefully it isn't a problem now!
What??? Pitch it??? Blasphemy!!!! At least try using it completely melted in before resorting to such drastic measures.

(Ok. I need a drink to calm my nerves now...)

Old 2009-08-12, 7:50am
Lover of all things color

When I make my large tornado beads in with yellow, orange or red encased they almost always crack. All of the other colors are fine. I had always heard that the warm colors just don't like to be encased.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-08-12, 8:00am
Booger #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
What??? Pitch it??? Blasphemy!!!! At least try using it completely melted in before resorting to such drastic measures.

(Ok. I need a drink to calm my nerves now...)
LOL...sorry Shawnette, I don't know if it is worth saving what little I have left!

Old 2009-08-12, 8:01am
Striking-impared...

I've used acid yellow many, many times with different colors on beads (it's my very favorite yellow). While I have not encased it, I've never had a cracking problem in all these years. So I'm wondering too if it's a bad batch?

Old 2009-08-12, 11:49am

have noticed that yellow milli will draw up their little skirts and not fuse well with others. I refused a autum colors milli soap dish about 5 times last year and the big flaw was always with the yellow flowers. It never did work
Sandra

Etsy shop

Old 2009-08-12, 12:51pm

The yellows are often off in lots of 104 brands. I think it has to do withthe sulfur in them. I was taught very early on not to encase yellow, coral, red.
I know that some people do but they should proceed with caution.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-08-14, 10:32am
Formerly FishBulb

Interesting! Bright acid yellow is one of my addictions. I didn't realize there were possible issues with it. I'm glad to know this ahead of time!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-08-14, 10:42am

I watched Loren use acid yellow in a quicky Butterfly Murinni demo. He made a butterfly start to finish in about an hour.... Paula was there too!

It crumbled into pieces. If Loren can't do it then it can't be done.....

The acid yellow caused a big problem. I used the other yellows but not the acid and mine came out. That is why I am assuming it it the acid.....

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]

Last edited by Dasi; 2009-08-16 at 7:19pm.
Old 2009-08-14, 1:50pm

Kimberly, Me to... I use acid yellow for stamen but it is such a small amount so I think it does not cause use the same issues.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2009-08-14, 2:55pm

Yep I saw that baby crumble! Too bad. We were going to get a piece of it!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !