LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-16, 11:13pm

Default Can pieces of glass be used for beadwork?

OK, I work on a remote island at the end of the Aleutian Chain in Alaska and I have access to a very nice sized ceramics kiln, about the size of a large 55 gallon drum, and I also have access to a lot of glass that washes up on one of the beaches there. The glass is a variety of colors, some coming from old bottles, aircraft windshields, and who knows what else.

Is there any way this glass can be melted and used for making beads?

Is there a tutorial on this forum on using a kiln and the annealing process? Can I fire up the kiln to operating temperature, put my beads inside, close it up and let it cool over night after I turn off the power?

Sorry for the rookie questions but, this definitely looks like the place to ask.

Thanks!
Old 2010-11-16, 11:35pm
I speak Murrini!

Aw, Grizzly...welcome to LE!

The short answers are:

Yes, you can use "found" glass to make beads, but different "scrap" glasses are manufactured in various COE's (Coefficient of Expansion; the rate at which they melt and cool) and as such, would be incompatible if mixed and would surely end up cracking. If you can get your hands on some relatively inexpensive rods (such as Effetre) of a known COE, you'll be happier in the long run.

Yes, it is possible to put your beads into a hot kiln but you need to research the process of annealing (controlled heating to a certain temp, a accurate "soak" temp and time, and a slow cool down) to insure that the stress is removed from your flame worked glass.

I recommend getting a book such as "The Complete Book of Glass Bead Making" by Kimberly Adams, and you will find most of your answers there! It's my favorite book and can be found very reasonably priced at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-...9976550&sr=1-1

Also there's a very inspirational book by Cindy Jenkins - more "eye candy" and technique oriented - and there's one in Garage Sale right now for an amazingly low price: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=178903)

Hope this helps just a bit!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2010-11-16 at 11:51pm. Reason: Adding links and information...
Old 2010-11-17, 12:04am

Wow De,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm just trying to figure out a way to use some of the "treasures" we find on this island I work on. I'll probably just use a dremel tool and try grinding some of the glass into smaller more manageable beads to use for earrings and necklaces. Having them come from the island just adds a little more value to the items I want to make.

I was reading another thread about someone trying to cut bottles and put in shards of glass, then reseal the bottles and learned a lot about the properties of glass from that thread.

I think they'll work well as beads when I grind them down. Some of the glass has been in the water for upwards of 60 years and is almost like smooth stones, kind of cloudy in color, other glass is almost crystal clear except for the colors.

The kiln I have access to hasn't been used in probably 17 years since the military left the island and turned it over to contractors. It still works, just hasn't been certified or anything in all that time. That's why I asked about turning it off and letting it cool over night.

Thanks again for your quick and helpful response.

Paul
Old 2010-11-17, 12:23am

That kiln is way too big. I mean, it'll probably do the job, but it's about 20x as big as you need. You could save up a full year's worth of beads and anneal them all at once, unless your output is truly prodigious.

Also, if you want to melt glass to make beads, you'll want a glass torch.
Old 2010-11-17, 7:59am
Mary Lockwood

Everything De said is right on, but Dusty is right too. Now I'm going to add some more to it and then you'll really start to see why this site is so huge. LOL There is SO MUCH to think about.

First--yes you can use found glass to make lampwork beads. Just make sure that you (in the beginning) don't mix different glasses together. Like if you find a piece of beach glass that is green--make a solid green bead. Don't try to mix that glass with the other pieces you find that day. (Not until you learn how to test for compatibility--which is not hard but your success rate will be higher if you stick to single glass pieces at first.)

Second, your kiln is huge. This does not mean you can't use it to anneal beads. It means it will be harder and not efficient. I'm assuming it is a top loading kiln and has shelves and posts in it. (or should anyway). This kiln would be too hot for you to load it once it is already heated up, and you can't put hot beads into a cold kiln. SO--that means you'd make up a bunch of beads, let them cool slowly (there are threads all over about how to do this) then load them into the kiln. Ramp the temperature up slowly and anneal them, finally letting them cool back down to room temperature.

You would have to have literally hundreds and hundreds of beads in that kiln to make it worth the energy use and time involved (because you'll have to babysit it and manually adjust the temperatures). Not to mention if something goes wrong you aren't just out a dozen beads---you've lost all of them. (Like if the kiln spikes and melts them all into puddles or the power goes out and your kiln cools too fast and cracks all the beads.)

Third- You need a torch. For what you are wanting to do a hot head with a propane cylinder would be just fine. It doesn't have to cost a lot.

Fourth- and this is a personal note as a buyer--if you are finding pieces of glass on a beach in Alaska that are matte finished and full of charm and character--why do you want to take all that away by melting it? As soon as you clean up the glass and remove the sanded surface, then introduce it into a torch and melt it it is going to just look like any other glass you've melted. Personally, if I were your customer I'd much prefer you either cold work/ drill/ wire wrap the pieces as they are and make them into pendants, earrings, whatever. Sell them for what they are--beautifully aged, tumbled pieces of beach glass from Alaska's islands. That is what I'D want to buy. Your startup expense would be a mere fraction of what it will cost for you to start torching and annealing this glass into sellable beads.

If you want to make beads I'm all about encouraging you to do that. I've never tried to talk someone out of it before. LOL Just think about what you have to work with and what it is about that material that appeals to your buyers.

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-11-17, 8:24am
Did someone say SALE?

I agree on the beach glass! It is so lovely wire wrapped or drilled and hung as a pendant or earrings. (In fact, I would trade you some rods of glass for a baggie of beach glass... hint hint!)

If you want to practice/recycle glass, hopefully there is some in your own recycle bin that can be used instead.
Old 2010-11-17, 9:37am
geekitude on two wheels

Another thing about melting the beach glass - aside from losing all the pretty patina that's built up, it's likely that when melted that patina will cause bubbles, scum and other unpleasantness. Better to leave it as is and incorporate it some how with wire wrapping, I vote.
Old 2010-11-17, 9:39am

I agree with Beth & Mary that wire wrapped beach glass pendants, earrings, etc is what I like!! They have so much character. Even if you don't want the expense of making up jewelry-selling the pieces to folks who do make them could be quite lucrative.

Old 2010-11-17, 1:09pm
Artistically Absorbed

Where on the Aleutian Chain? I just moved inland a few months ago from Dutch Harbor. -Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2010-11-17, 3:25pm
Unmedicated since '62

do you realise there is a market for beach glass! collect it and sell it on ebay and then buy some moretti rods and a torch

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-11-17, 5:43pm

Here's another vote for leaving it as is as much as possible and using that as your selling point. Lots of us use acid etching solution to get our beads to have the kind of finish that nature is providing for you as these wash up. If you are still interested in torch work you could combine beads you make with a torch with the beach glass in finished pieces. There's also a ton of great information in the Safety section about protective eyewear, ventilation etc if you decide to get a torch. Good luck and have fun!
Old 2010-11-19, 8:41pm
Just Getting Started

Lightbulb Sell it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassyEyedGirl View Post
I agree on the beach glass! It is so lovely wire wrapped or drilled and hung as a pendant or earrings. (In fact, I would trade you some rods of glass for a baggie of beach glass... hint hint!)

If you want to practice/recycle glass, hopefully there is some in your own recycle bin that can be used instead.
People are hungry for real beach glass, not glass that has been etched or tumbled to look like beach glass. Set yourself up a shop on Etsy and offer them in lots for sale. You might make enough from that gorgeous glass to finance some lampworking tools, like a torch or flashback arrestors, etc. (And notify us when you set up. I would purchase some for my girlfriend, who has discovered wire wrap.)
Old 2010-11-20, 4:52am

Yeah, I was gonna say I wouldn't melt down the beach glass....it's beautiful as it is!

Old 2010-11-20, 4:58am
Help i am on fire

i know someone who made earrings out of the beach glass from alaska. she sold the hell out of them. she wire rapped them, thats what i would do. also if you find red or orange glass people will pay big bucks for that. rare to find different colors than blue and green.

Last edited by bead-meltdown; 2010-11-20 at 4:58am. Reason: mispelled
Old 2010-11-20, 5:14am
Gonna get blow'd up!

Ok...I agree with everyone else...beach glass rules..

Second, with the kiln: You may be able to add a bead door to it depending on the shape and spacing of the coils. I am NOT suggesting you do this since it is quite possibly very dangerous but I do suggest researching it. There's a vendor on here (can't remember the name) who has as all these awesome kilns and adds bead doors to existing kilns...I think Glass Hive...any-whoo, maybe ask someone like that who plays with fire brick and elements for a living.

On the bonus side, the local big glass studio uses a massive old ghetto amaco-type kiln so if you ever want to create HUGE tobacco-smoking utensils...you'll be set there ;D

Let me know when you start selling that beach glass