LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-10-30, 1:29pm

Default Is it me or the release?

Hi. I had 13 mandrels I had dipped last night in Fireworks bead release. I ended up with 3 that didn't fly apart when I tried to use them today! I usually only have two or three do this.
Is the problem the crappy release or am I doing it? I have the same set up and warm the rod the same way.

I ordered some bucket of mud release because I was so mad.

Hope I am right and the Fireworks release is just crap.

What do you all think?
Old 2011-10-30, 1:33pm
Tweedle Dumb

Fireworks ANYTHING is a waste of time and money. Their release sucks. Their torch sucks. I almost quit lampworking because I didn't know that there were better products out there. using the torch that only worked sometimes, and then went to not working at all. The release was a joke. I broke beads regularly. I got beads stuck regularly. It let loose all the time. Sometimes the release would fall off the mandrel before I even got it in the flame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2011-10-30, 1:46pm

Thank you!! Now I know I am not nuts.
Old 2011-10-30, 5:37pm

One thing with any mandrel is that you have to scrub it down to give it some tooth so the release has something to stick to. Otherwise the mandrels are too smooth and the release slides right off it.
Old 2011-10-30, 10:07pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

I've got to agree about Fireworks. Absolute trash. You'll be much happier with Bucket O'mud.

Old 2011-11-02, 2:17am

Quote:
Originally Posted by selma_belma View Post
I've got to agree about Fireworks. Absolute trash. You'll be much happier with Bucket O'mud.
I have to agree with Roberta! Bucket O' Mud is my goto bead release!

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-11-02, 6:43am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by selma_belma View Post
I completely agree, BOM is wonderful.

Old 2011-11-02, 6:46am
Loving learning

I have a ?? about BOM. I bought some & it works great, but I notice I have to leave my beads soaking for quite a while to get them off without a lot of effort. Is there something I'm doing that makes it so tough, or is that just the way it is. I've learned to just leave them all day (or overnight) for easy removal, but wondered if there was a trick I'm missing
Old 2011-11-02, 7:59am
what's a senior moment ?

Eileen - Sometimes mine come off easily, sometimes not with BOM. I always put a Bounce dryer sheet in the water when they soak. I had read somewhere long ago it helps. When they don't come off easily I just hold the mandrel with some vice grips after soaking for a bit and pull them off with the other hand. No biggie.

May I add that I had some mandrels that were dipped in BOM a minimum of 8 months ago and had NO problem at all with it flaking off or breaking off in the flame when I used them just last week. The beads came off super easy too after just a very brief soak. Gotta love BOM !

Old 2011-11-02, 8:27am
Loving learning

The only one I've had flake I accidentally hit pretty sharply on a marver, and it only flaked off where I hit it, but the bead was fine
Old 2011-11-02, 8:37am

Foster Fire Smooth and Tough is really great bead release and I am able to just pull my beads off the mandrel by hand without soaking them with no effort at all.

Old 2011-11-03, 2:48am
what's a senior moment ?

You should always remove the bead release/beads from the mandrels in water otherwise the powder can be breathed in and that's not good.

Old 2011-11-03, 5:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
You should always remove the bead release/beads from the mandrels in water otherwise the powder can be breathed in and that's not good.

I always wet them down before removing them, I just don't have to soak them with the Foster Fire Smooth and Tough. Before I started using Foster Fire I kept a rivet gun to remove my beads with.....even after soaking them.

Old 2011-11-04, 3:49pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Hi Chipoo - I just wrote this in another thread.. but with ANY bead release, you need to heat the mandrel with the bead release on it BEFORE you apply hot glass to it. Just a few quick passes through the flame will do it. This also has the added benefit of removing any moisture that the bead release will absorb from the humidity in the air and this will help to prevent the little bubbles coming up from the mandrel that you can see when you use transparent glasses.

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!

Last edited by j2canoe; 2011-11-04 at 3:52pm.