Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-30, 7:03pm

Default Grumble ...

Well, I just spent about an hour and a half in front of the torch (behind it really because I still have my eyebrows) and I'm grumpy. The last time I made a bead that had the resemblance of a flower on it. I wasn't quite happy with it yet so I thought I'd give it another go by making a bigger bead where I could really plonk those dots down. The whole experience turned into a nightmare. To begin with I couldn't even get the bead round. It was more like egg-shaped. then the stringer I used to make some vines on it wouldn't melt in. Finally I put some dots down. The dots on one side were fairly far apart to begin with but somehow melted into one solid blob. The dots on the other side wouldn't melt in. The bead itself was almost starting to flow but those dots just sat there and gave me the finger. Eventually I decided that since the bead is already crap I could at least use it as a victim to practice encasing. I made it around the bead and began to melt to clear in when the bead release in the beadhole began to slip. At that point I just gave up - uncle. I tell you, sometimes my two left hands make me want to start drinking.

H
Old 2011-11-30, 7:08pm

Oh! I have been there too let me tell you. Its hard to get back on the proverbial horse but it must be done (if you've got the glass fever like most of us) hang in there!!

PEACE ON EARTH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-11-30, 7:30pm
Unmedicated since '62

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-11-30, 9:02pm

Yup some days the glass just wins lol!

Old 2011-12-01, 1:53am

And it was the size of the moon, right? I know...

Old 2011-12-01, 7:11am

Yes moon sized - with sprinkles and gummibears.

H
Old 2011-12-01, 7:34am
Burnt Wood Beads

There are some days when one just should not torch!

Old 2011-12-01, 10:13am
Sarah Jane's grandma

Bad days happen to everyone. It's almost become comical to me how if I have tons of time to torch, things just don't go well. I've planned to spend so much time at the torch that day, and everything I make looks like poo. Of course on those days when time is limited, I can do no wrong on the torch! LOL. If it's one of those bad days, I've learned to step away from the torch, and come back a little later. Sometimes that's all it takes. Seriously. I remember one day absolutely nothing was working. I wasn't happy with a single thing I made. I was disgusted and gave up. A few hours later, it was like the planets were aligned and I could do no wrong. I made some of my best beads that day. Crazy, huh? So get back to the torch and try again!

Old 2011-12-01, 3:43pm

Oh yeah, I'm going back. There's no way this will keep me from doing it again. I just needed to grumble and complain in the company of people who understand. When I tell "normal people" I get this polite look of incomprehension.

H
Old 2011-12-01, 3:54pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

LOL!!! Harry - florals are incomprehensible creatures when you first learn them. You just have to keep trying and trying and trying and....etc - you get the idea. I read everything I could find, studied every floral bead ever made (I'm pretty sure) at the time, ran through every exercise I could think of until I KNEW I had the technique down in theory. And they STILL wouldn't do right!! AAUUUGGGHHH!!! I'd go away for awhile, and then come back and try them again. I did this for many months. One day, I sat down at the torch and prepared to carry coals to Newcastle once again. I swear I did the same things I had been doing all along and....IT WORKED!!! I felt like I had just discovered the secret of the universe!! And they've worked ever since. I can't explain it and it still makes me shake my head in puzzlement. Yep, florals are just obstinate and contrary.....until they're not! Keep trying!!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-12-01, 8:33pm

Joan, I keep waiting for "that" moment to happen. I've tried florals several times. They are definitely better than when I first began trying, but they are nowhere where I want. I try a time or two, then quit for several weeks. I try again a few times, and then quit. I think that quitting is definitely part of the problem! But I just go on to something I know how to make and forget them for a bit. I guess it is time to try them again soon.

Beth

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams
Old 2011-12-02, 4:29pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I spent five days (well, 4 really, 'cause I was sick on Saturday) this Thanksgiving weekend trying to make beads, and I was disgusted every time I sat down to work. I played hookie from work yesterday and made about 20-25 beads that I'm really happy with AND, most importantly, I'm really happy with the progress in my understanding of my work.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-12-02, 4:38pm
one day at a time

I have bad days too where I'm getting crooked footprints, or I mash a bead too much when I roll it in frit and it's "cooked" too much by the time I get it rounded and even. Or the frit touches the mandrel and sticks near the hole which is a total loss for that bead...into the water bath. Or I make about 10-12 and they are not the same size, like way off and I have to make more to match them. A real PITA.