LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-04-02, 8:42pm

Do not let the propane run a while before lighting. If it doesn't go within a few seconds, shut it off and wait for it to clear before trying again.

Nobody likes the smell of singed eyebrows...
Old 2012-04-02, 11:52pm

Oh dear what did you scratch the cat with?
Old 2012-04-03, 12:27am

Do not grab a mandrel back out of the kiln because you forgot a certain decoration on it. ( did that tonight and have burnt thumb and forefinger to remind me of this yet again!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-04-03, 12:30am

Do not attempt to jump a marble off of your lap unless you want it to jump to a new part of your lap over and over. Just stand the hell up!

I got 4 holes in my sweats from this and then it decided to make a bigger hole, go into my sweats and down my leg burning all the way down and then to top it off....somehow got inside my sock!!! Hot marble held against your ankle by your own sock is.....well not fun unless you wanted to perfect fuming on your ankle Oh and make sure no one is home when you start stripping off your clothes to get the dang marble out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-04-03, 12:49am

Oh what a great mental picture!!
Old 2012-04-03, 3:14am
Now part of the Dark Side

Do not expose large amounts of skin while torching, hot exploded shards will find it.
Old 2012-04-03, 3:35am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Do Not Threaten the Stink Bug walking across your table with a hot glass rod - they take great offense to this! Unless, of course, you just can't get enough of "Eau de Rotten Cucumber".......(bleeeech!)

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2012-04-03, 3:36am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Do Not use the top of the Press you are going to use next to corral said Stink Bug either....unless you just love dilemmas........

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2012-04-03, 3:41am
Unmedicated since '62

Do not wear shirts that exposé your ample cleavage when torching....then after you do, and catch shocky glass with your boobs don't do it again the next day...and the day after that

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-04-03, 3:44am
Unmedicated since '62

I didn't do this but its worth repeating

If shocky glass goes down your shirt don't run out the door while ripping your shirt off to throw yourself boobs down in the snow just as your husbands boss drives up...

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-04-03, 11:07am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Do not reach to rescue that rod of pandora light even if it is OOP, the six weeks spent healing the back of your hand from where you put your ENTIRE HAND in the flame is not worth it. Neither is the resulting scar.

Old 2012-04-03, 12:51pm
Loving learning

Ouch, ouch, ouch!!!!
Old 2012-04-03, 1:04pm
Always Improving

When pulling points, never, ever, let someone hand you "cold" glass tube to pull with.
OUCH.
Old 2012-04-03, 1:09pm

Do not reach for a stringer over other stringers with sharp ends! Microscopic glass shards are impossible to get out!

LynieG
Old 2012-04-03, 1:53pm
Just Ain't Right

Do not turn your head to sneeze....unless your snot is the correct COE.

eew...

LMFAO over here, y'all. Did that. Did that. Yep. Yep. OWIE! Yep. Ditto.

-Sinda
Old 2012-04-03, 2:14pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

If the hot glass rod starts to slip from your fingers, do not quickly close your hand around it to keep it from falling. However, if you do, be sure to have a full water trough in the pasture nearby in which to immerse your singed hand! Then, of course, man up and finish the torching session rather than wasting time going to the doc-in-the-box.

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2012-04-03, 5:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
I didn't do this but its worth repeating

If shocky glass goes down your shirt don't run out the door while ripping your shirt off to throw yourself boobs down in the snow just as your husbands boss drives up...

brings back memories of me stripping for the neighbours.

Thanks to everyone for the laugh. My kids don't get why any of this is so funny that I am crying but they are little yet.
Old 2012-04-03, 5:05pm
Tweedle Dumb

Do not scratch your head with the hot end of a rod.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-04-03, 5:07pm
Tweedle Dumb

Does anyone else get the urge the wave your hand through the flame really REALLY quick like kids do with birthday candles, just to see if the same principles apply? No? Just me huh? Well ok. I haven't grown sufficient balls to try it, but my brain always wonders "what if" when I spark it up.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-04-03, 6:21pm
Loving learning

I'm pretty sure after seeing the pictures on the other thread that I already know the answer.
Old 2012-04-03, 7:11pm

Do not try to push down on a snowman's little twistie scarf with your finger no matter how fast you think you can do it.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2012-04-03, 8:24pm

Do not allow your cat to walk on your torch table even when the torch is off. And if he walks in front of the lit torch, make a choice: he can burn or you will...
Old 2012-04-04, 2:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
Do not test your graphite marver's temperature with your chin.
LOL!

Old 2012-04-04, 5:08am
Sith Lord

Do not use bic lighters, if you can't abide then do not leave them anywhere near your work surface. Even if you have it in a coolish spot (say 3, 4 feet away from a flame) the rapid temperature changes of a studio can cause the liquid inside to expand quick enough to break through the walls of the lighter (bleve sp?), you would not believe the explosive power of a bic let loose all at once!

They will explode at far lower temperatures then expected, how quickly it's temperature raises is a big factor as well. Just use a zippo!
Old 2012-04-04, 5:26am

With both hands full of molten flaming goo....RESIST all urges to swat the wasp walking across your diddys ;-D There's just no easy answer here.

Old 2012-04-04, 8:37am

I love these. What great tips. I just read most of this to my non glass working partner and I laughed till I cried.

I know it is not funny getting burned (been there), but the visuals are tooooo funny.

I have one.

Do not try to get the last little bit done with a rod that is boarder line to short for fingers. Needed one little dot of white and was so intend on getting it in the right spot and forgot where my index finger was. I found out REAL quick.. Ouch.
Old 2012-04-04, 10:07am
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
Does anyone else get the urge the wave your hand through the flame really REALLY quick like kids do with birthday candles, just to see if the same principles apply? No? Just me huh? Well ok. I haven't grown sufficient balls to try it, but my brain always wonders "what if" when I spark it up.
I've done it, not by choice, reaching for something

Go ahead, DOOOOO IIIITTTTTTT!
Old 2012-04-04, 8:15pm
WildBird Beads

I seem to have some of these problems with moths and other flying bugs in my shop... even with screened windows. Moths smell when burnt also.
Old 2012-04-05, 2:30pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

When one end of your dental tool gets too hot and starts sticking to the bead, flipping it over to give the bead the cool end is NOT as good an idea as it may seem...

L-111

Old 2012-04-05, 3:00pm
Now part of the Dark Side