Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-06-12, 5:09am
Blazedancer

Default Hep me, Hep me! BF wants to torch boro!

My darling BF has decided he wants to learn boro. I'm a soft glass gal, and would also love to play with boro. Here's the 'Hep me' part: We don't have a huge chunk of money to get him started, so we need some advice on a good starting torch (even tho I'm really lusting after a 'Cuda, myself) and whether or not we need two oxycons. Any advice about getting us set up for hard glass would be welcome. Do all torches for boro need 10L/M? Would a Pirhana be a good torch for boro, and soft glass too maybe? I won't be giving up soft glass after all these years, and would love to do both. Thanks for any advice!
Martha

Old 2006-06-12, 5:18am
Striking-impared...

A piranah would be nice, but you'll have a hard time getting one since they have been discontinued. I tried out a piranah running on one oxycon this past weekend, and I was melting 6mm boro rods pretty easily. Would be fantastic for soft glass.

Personally, though, I would not do boro without at least 2 oxycons. That way I can turn the dials down some to get the best O2 purity, and still have pressure to work with.

(Side note: I run 3 oxycons with a Bobcat to do boro, but will probably be moving to a Betta or Lynx.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-06-12, 5:25am
Blazedancer

Oh yeah, I meant to ask about the Betta and the Lynx...both are OK with boro? I don't want to spend the rest of my life making one bead...
M.
Old 2006-06-12, 5:50am
boro color bender

The Betta runs great on one oxycon... The Piranha's are all gone. The Betta will melt boro like butter. Let me know if you decide on one and I'll ship it for free, since you're an LE member. I think I may have one available.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-06-12, 6:02am
Blazedancer

Brent, I think you just convinced me...can I use the Betta with soft glass?
M.
PS - if the BF doesn't work out, I'll marry you! With no ulterior motives, honest...
Old 2006-06-14, 4:49pm
borobucaneer

Grab a lynx! It will hold its value on resale if its turns out he does not dig it. And it will work soft and boro!!

-Tony Soprano
Old 2006-06-22, 9:23am
Bic Boy

Location: Currently living in Pinellas Park, Florida, but my home is good old Missoula, Montana

If you are looking for boro equipment. you can email me at zoulallc@yahoo.com and I will send you a price list of everything i have. I sell the Cuda for $700.00 normally but I am having a summer torch and glass sale, which right now is at $644.75
Old 2006-07-03, 8:23am
Student of DachZen

I use my Betta with both softglass AND boro - love it, love it, love it! (did I mention that I LOVE my torch? )

The only caveat I would mention is to think about how big a piece you are likely to do in boro. The Betta has a smaller flame area than some of the other mentioned torches. Just fine for what I do, but if you were to want to do larger stuff, say, larger sculptural work, it might be too small for you.