Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-06-12, 2:13pm

Default Glasses

What kind of glasses are you wearing??? I have a pair of didymiums, however, they weren't the most expensive and now feel I need to upgrade...whats recommended???
Old 2006-06-12, 4:21pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Funny that you should ask this question....I (literally) just received my new glasses~ AUR 92's~ in the mail!!! Not only are they better for the eyes, I don't look like such a DORK with the didymium glasses that I got with my starter kit....

I bought them at Glasscraft.com After researching I found that they sell them the cheapest, as far as I could tell....and I LOVE them!!!

Have fun with your new glasses (when you get them!!!)
Lynn
Old 2006-06-12, 4:58pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I like my wraparounds. They're Phillips...

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-06-13, 4:09am
Blazedancer

I'm looking for boro glasses...anybody know where I can them the cheapest? $200 + was kind of staggering when I looked at it.
Martha
Old 2006-06-13, 5:03am
Safety ALWAYS

With boro glasses, you get what you pay for - cheap glasses don't always protect your eyes - ask to see the transmission charts for any filter you buy. If the supplier or manufacturer does not have the charts, ask yourself what are they hiding - usually it is the fact that the filters do not protect your eyes from the hazardous IR transmission.

Our AGW-203 filter is an "entry level" filter, and runs around $160. The higher priced filters are designed for advanced boro workers who work large pieces or use advanced techniques such as fuming. Bead makers generally don't need the more expensive filters unless they work large or advanced.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-06-13, 7:28am

My Didy's irritated my eyes and just didn't seem "clear" enough and I had to rest my eyes constantly and got headaches so I splurged and got a pair of AUR-92 clip-ons from Auralens- SO MUCH BETTER! Well worth the $100.

Vanessa
Old 2006-06-13, 8:50am
Puddy Cat Lover

I bit the bullet and asked my eye doctor to make me a pair of didydiums with the prescription of my lower bi-focal. I wouldn't be able to lampwork unless I had some kind of corrective lenses. Yep they were expensive, but soooo worth it.
J.

Old 2006-06-14, 12:51am
yukue fumei

I love my prescrip AGW-186's!
no more tired eyes and 6 eyed monsters....
yep--I used to stack didyms over my regular glasses......the combo would be so heavy(especially when I added the shade 5 welder's clip-ons!) I had to put cotton under the nose bridge or I would tear the skin on my nose....so imagine all that jumble of clutter on my face.....
the neighbors kid sometimes peeks through the window to greet me....my back is to him....
I turn around and he had such a shocked look on his face!
He told me "Auntie, why are you wearing that? It's ugly, ugly!--never look like that again!!!!" and he ran away.....
I apologized while trying to stifle my laughter.....but yes, I got some 186's and my neighbor has returned Thank you AGW_186s and thank you Mike. Another happy ending thanks to Aura-Lens!
Old 2006-06-14, 5:16pm
Striking-impared...

I got some boro glasses at Generations for around $140. I probably should have paid the extra $15 for the wire frame (I got the plastic frame). The plastic is a little heavier, but the glasses are still waaaaay more comfortable than using the boro clip-ons!