Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-08-03, 8:16am

Default Pandora style beads

I've been asked to make some beads that would fit onto a pandora bracelet. I've made some beads with a 5/32 mandrel. Unfortunately, they are a hair too small to fit over the pandora bracelet screw. Any ideas? Do I need to use a larger mandrel, or should I try to use my reamer /dremel tool to make the hole a tiny bit bigger. The second option scares me...

Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-08-03, 8:20am
Dichro Addict

You can use the reamer to make the hole bigger. You shouldn't have to do much if you used a 5/32" mandrel. I know some people use that size for uncored Pandora beads. If you don't like doing that then yes, I would go up to a 3/16" mandrel.

Old 2009-08-03, 8:22am
Certified Glassaholic!

If you don't plan to add a silver core to your beads 5/32" will work fine. Just double dip your mandrels next time Otherwise you can easily use your dremel to widen the holes just a touch.

If you plan to add a silver core then you need to go to a 3/16" mandrel.

Enjoy!

-Yee

Old 2009-08-03, 8:26am

Well thank you guys! I was afraid of trying to make the bead larger, but I'm feeling brave at the moment!!!! Can't wait to get home and try it out!!!! Thanks to both of you!

Old 2009-08-03, 8:40am
Striking-impared...

I did the same thing at first -- tried a single-dip 5/32 and it didn't fit over the end of the Pandora (although it was OK on the Troll).

I did dremel out a few, but finally gave up and decided they would just be on my own personal Troll-sized bracelet.

Since then, I've double-dipped my 5/32 or single-dipped my 3/16 and everything fits over the thread end of the Pandora now.

(This for for un-cored beads. You'll need to go larger if you want to silver core them. But 3/16 seems to be OK if you want to use rivets.)

Last edited by tasminann; 2009-08-03 at 8:42am.
Old 2009-08-04, 9:26am
burnin' glass just becuz

i prefer not to double dip 5/32 as the hole becomes rather large for an uncored bead and doesn't look as seamless on the bracelet. I've found leaving my bead release open to thicken a bit helped. only times i've had to ream the hole a bit larger is with a new bottle of bead release cuz it's usually initially too thin.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland