LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-08-18, 4:28pm

Default About how long does your propane last?

I'm trying to get an estimate of how many hours propane lasts approximately?

For the 20lb size (BBQ grill size)

I'm thinking about getting two filled at once so i'll have one in reserve. It's going to be hard to get them refilled very often because we only have one vehicle and it's a car, so we'll have to have family members with a truck to refill them once in a while. I"m hoping having one or even two in reserve will keep me from having them filled more than once every...how often?

I'm gonna be doing soft glass on a mini CC, and using an oxy generator (don't know if that matters)

thanks
michele

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley
Old 2009-08-18, 4:53pm
Learning...

Shelly, for what it's worth, I use the same size tank and mine will honestly lasted me a year. But I don't sit at my torch every day for 10 hours like some people do. I probably torch about 3-4 times a week for maybe 3-5 hours. I have a minor, but I don't know if that makes any difference in terms of propane usage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-08-18, 5:01pm

How much do you plan to torch?

I get a couple/few months out of a bbq tank when torching most days for 3-4 hours per day. On a minor.
Old 2009-08-18, 5:07pm
I love glass!

Not long enough

Love, live, learn and laugh every day!

Old 2009-08-18, 5:18pm
Mary Lockwood

I'm a 20-40 hour a week torcher and my tanks last just shy of 4 months each.

Old 2009-08-18, 5:59pm
Learning...

Mary...You are my hero...I just favorited one of your beads earlier today on Etsy. Love your work.

Old 2009-08-18, 6:11pm
I fart diamonds

10 - 20 hours a week got me at least 6 months on my Lynx. I also have 2 tanks that I alternate and I don't have a truck. I put the tank in the back seat of my car and take it to get filled. I just make sure that once I get the tank filled, I head straight home. You really only need a truck for the big tanks.

ETA - 6 months per tank. I just had to swap my tanks yesterday for the 1st time in 2 years. (Haven't been using the home setup much, lol.)

Last edited by shawnette; 2009-08-19 at 4:34am.
Old 2009-08-18, 6:52pm

I use a phantom on liquid. A 20 lb. tank lasts me about a week, and i work 5-6 days a week, 5-8 hours a day
Old 2009-08-18, 7:07pm

Wow. I was about right then in my guessing. I figured if I torched 4 hrs daily a 20lb tank might last a couple months. So if I have 2 full tanks that should last me 4-6 months at 4 hrs daily. That's great. It is hard to believe it lasts that long.
My husband didn't belive me when I told him how long I'd heard they last.
Thanks for the info.

OH, and a Phantom?...well that's not even in the same class as the rest of us smaller torches now is it! Phantom's are Massive, Big, Huge aren't they!~? Dang, one week on one tank of propane? I'd like to see what you make with that! Sculpts? Huge Marbles? Paper Weights?
I'd hate to have your propane bill, but hopefully whatever you create with that is worth the expense.

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley

Last edited by ShellyJo1969; 2009-08-18 at 7:10pm.
Old 2009-08-18, 9:58pm
Lampworkaholic!

I must be doing something wrong. I run out a tank in a month or so, not torching full time, on a Mega Minor, tank pressure set at 3 psi. Weird.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-08-18, 11:15pm
Super Duper

If one does the chemistry/math, a neutral flame uses 5 times as much oxygen as propane and 20 pounds of propane in gas form is 13507 liters.

So if you ran a neutral flame at full blast from a 5LPM concentrator you would last 225 hours of torching.
Old 2009-08-19, 12:07am
Unmedicated since '62

you are named well ryanthenumberimp - sounds spot on

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-08-19, 1:23am
Cherine Perrin Glass

About 6 months for me. I torch about 20 hours a week on a Minor and occasionally a Lynx.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2009-08-19, 5:23am
Lampworkaholic!

OK, Ryan, does that mean if I run my M15 at 6 lpm (which I do) I should be able to torch twenty five 10-hour days? Because I estimate I am getting less than 100 hours out of my 20 lb. tank. Any thoughts as to why this would be? I torch about 2-3 hours 5 nights a week and about 6-14 hours on weekends, at most.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-08-20, 12:32am

1 bbq sized tank
1 minor torch
3 hours
2-3 days a week
aprox 1 year
Old 2009-08-20, 5:47am
Striking-impared...

Normally I fill my tank 2 or 3 times a year (depending on how much I'm torching). On an average I get in 10-12 hours a week. Tank PSI is between 7 and 10. I'm on a Bobcat.