Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-10-02, 12:47pm

Angry weird color change

Hi all,

I recently bought a few rods of 96 glass from a local place and I've been trying to make really simple round beads with it (I'm still having trouble with getting them symmetric). Anyway, I tried this bright yellow glass and made the bead you see attached in the image. Trouble is, after cooling anything I make from this glass it has this weird dark grey color I originally thought it is just because I'm holding it too close to the nozzle but that doesn't seem to be it. Other beads I made further away take on the same color. If you look on the rod itself there is the same color after cooling. Is this type of glass supposed to do that? (I'm using a Fireworks starter head and have ordered a Mag Torch 245 as someone on the board suggested)

Harry
Old 2011-10-02, 12:49pm

Danged, where did that picture go?
Old 2011-10-02, 3:42pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Yellows are very easy to soot up when you work them, especially on a torch like a Fireworks or Hothead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-10-02, 4:17pm

I had the same problem on my Fireworks Hothead! Didn't matter what color I used. Adjust the air hole smaller. Mine was set at about half open or a little less. Hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LynieG
Old 2011-10-02, 5:15pm

Oh ok, I'll try that. I just tried an orange and got the same ugly color. Had a little accident and burned a hole in the carpet too. Oh well ...
Old 2011-10-02, 5:41pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Two things you definitely need - a fireproof surface to work on and a fireproof floor! Get a welders blanket to put down if nothing else.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-10-02, 6:09pm
Loving learning

You may have forgotten to click on the code after you uploaded the image.

Also, one of the first things I bought was a fire extinguisher. Lots of tales of mishaps on here someplace.
Old 2011-10-02, 7:04pm

Lol, I have a fire extinguisher. Fortunately I didn't need it but the carpet has to nice burn holes now. I'll look for a welder's blanket. The beginner kit I got came with a fireproof surface. I have my hothead ordered. Can't wait to stop using the Fireworks thing.
Old 2011-10-02, 9:23pm
I speak Murrini!

Hey Harry...welcome!

First off, ditch the Fireworks! I realize it's an inexpensive torch and you're wanting to play and learn and all that stuff, but the Fireworks is notorious for being a piece of...um, work! I would definitely recommend buying a REAL Hot Head...here's a thread started by another fairly new glassworker, same problems, similar answers - same solution! http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=206323

Secondly, make sure you take precautions as Squid has suggested to prevent burning your carpet further, but even more importantly make sure you're wearing diddy glasses!!! Carpet can be replaced - eyeballs, not so much!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-10-03, 6:50am

I used a Fireworks Hothead for about 4 yrs. replaced it 2ce cause I was broke but I learned the basics and some fun technics. Last Nov I got a mini cc and let me just tell you - you are going to LOVE LOVE LOVE your new torch! It's a whole other world out there in making beads! Also the difference in working with the hothead verses a regular torch is that with a hothead you work 2 = 3 inches in front of the blue flame and with a torch you work in the flame or just under it depending on what you are doing.(hope that made sense)

LynieG

Last edited by LynieG; 2011-10-03 at 7:04am.
Old 2011-10-03, 7:28am

Smile

Hi Harry-

Can you move your setup into a room with a concrete floor? I know I am constantly dropping pieces of hot glass on the floor and as you start to get into this, you probably will too!

I would also say to purchase a hothead torch, especially if the Mag torch scorches the glass too. It can be frustrating at first even with the best tools you can afford, no need to make it even harder Sometimes you can post in the Garage Sale section you are looking for something, and can get it at a discount

Good luck! Laura

Old 2011-10-03, 8:52am

This is all about flame chemistry which you do not have good control of with a torch like this or a hot head. I am gonna be the dissenting voice here and suggest that you stop putting money into torches that most of us outgrow quickly. Buy an Oxy Propane torch and step up to a system that will allow you to really control the flame. Right now there is a lot of used equipment available. Are you serious about sticking with this?
Old 2011-10-03, 9:01am
Rose colored glasses…√

Not everyone "out grows" a Hot Head. It's an extremely versatile torch. You realize, of course, that Holly Cooper, and Amber Van Meter, both still work on a Hot Head? I think Gelly does too.

Holly:

http://www.hollycooper.com/AvailableWork

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-10-03, 9:37am

Thanks everyone. I am definitely sticking with it. I've been making jewelry for a while now, mostly chainmaille (cutting my own rings) and some beading. It always annoyed me that I couldn't make my own beads. I'm planning on taking a class at Flametree in Atlanta in late October. I'm sure I'll learn tons from them. I'd love to buy EVERYTHING!!!!!! I want a good torch, a kiln, a fireproof studio, ... Unfortunately I am in the process of making a rather extensive career change and need to safe up some money. I bought a hothead the other day. I guess I'll fiddle with it for a little while and see where it leads me. Thanks for all the great suggestions though.
Old 2011-10-03, 10:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
Not everyone "out grows" a Hot Head. It's an extremely versatile torch. You realize, of course, that Holly Cooper, and Amber Van Meter, both still work on a Hot Head? I think Gelly does too.

Holly:

Umm. Where do you see "everyone" anywhere in my post? I think I am pretty safe saying MOST outgrow them.
Old 2011-10-03, 10:23am
Now part of the Dark Side

Harry,
You definitely need a hard surface for the floor, preferably fireproof. My studio is in my cellar, I find bits of broken glass EVERYWHERE. I still go barefoot when I'm not torching, and I have the cuts on my feet to prove it, but you need to be able to sweep it up. I occasionally find a bit of glass in the living room that attached to a shoe and made it's way up stairs.
Old 2011-10-03, 10:33am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Umm. Where do you see "everyone" anywhere in my post? I think I am pretty safe saying MOST outgrow them.
I'm not arguing with you, Larry. Simply stating that, IMO, a Hot Head shouldn't simply be viewed as a torch for those less serious about playing with glass.

Quote:
This is all about flame chemistry which you do not have good control of with a torch like this or a hot head. I am gonna be the dissenting voice here and suggest that you stop putting money into torches that most of us outgrow quickly. Buy an Oxy Propane torch and step up to a system that will allow you to really control the flame. Right now there is a lot of used equipment available. Are you serious about sticking with this?
Testy, testy, testy...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-10-03, 11:19am

Quote:
I'm not arguing with you, Larry. Simply stating that, IMO, a Hot Head shouldn't simply be viewed as a torch for those less serious about playing with glass.

Testy, testy, testy...
We all have opinions. Mine is an honest one. Rather than thread crapping here if you wish to discuss this further please PM me.
Old 2011-10-03, 11:22am

I originally started with a hot head torch and everything I made with it had that ugly grey on it too. I finally got frustrated enough that I switched to a nortel minor and never had the problem again.

Having said that - It's nice to see someone (Lynie) actually had a recommendation to reduce the air hole size....I am not sure if my hot head had that or not as I gave it away like 4 years ago... the point is it seems like its a fairly common thing that occurs but it also sounds like there are things to do to eliminate it without having to upgrade your equipment.

On a slightly different topic/note-
Sorry about the hole in the carpet....

FYI - even us who have been at it a while do things like that. I bought these rubber mats to put around my workbench in the middle of the studio a while back and thought it was a great idea until one of the points I was pulling fell on the floor ( ok so I accidently let go of it, but it wasnt because I forgot what I was doing /wink) - glad the moment wasnt on film!!!

I couldnt figure out what the burnt rubber smell was until I noticed a few pieces had rolled, bounced over onto the mats.... note to self - clear silicone fills holes in rubber foam mats nicely LOL

The entire studio has concrete floors but after wearing a boot for 8 weeks from stress fracture in foot - i decided to get some mats for standing...sometimes - its one step forward, two steps back hehehe

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2011-10-03 at 11:24am.
Old 2011-10-03, 11:50am

Lol, I'll make sure my next apartment is as barebones as possible in terms of flooring I just signed up for a workshop at Flametree in Atlanta. I can't wait for it to start!

Harry
Old 2011-10-03, 2:01pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Larry, all she was trying to tell you was that the HH is a great torch and although many start out on it, it is far from being a beginner's torch. Many new people don't always realize that, so she was trying to let you know.

I have blazing heat from a Bobcat and a very high powered generator that no one else on the board owns. Mostly because my machine costs about $2600 new. I get almost as much oxy as a tank and with my torch, it's very hot. Many of my beads (I make over 500 kinds, probably more) can't be made on any other torch but the HH, so I still have mine. I will never part with it.
Old 2011-10-03, 2:17pm

Seems like this is a religion.....Really good glassworkers could run circles around me with a BIC lighter. No doubt there are ways to work around any handicap given enough time and ingenuity. Does that mean we are doing beginners justice by suggesting they learn to work glass with a 99 cent lighter? I think not. The hothead is only slightly better. Again, this is an entry level torch that MOST will outgrow.

I really cant believe I am continuing to argue this point. Opinions were asked for by the OP and I gave him mine. I dont define my self worth and esteem based on what type of torch I use but I am shocked by folks here who do.

Last edited by LarryC; 2011-10-03 at 2:21pm.
Old 2011-10-03, 4:51pm

Ladies and gentlemen! Relax, we can agree to disagree! No cause for tribal warfare. I'm just glad I'm learning so many great new things from all of you.
Old 2011-10-03, 4:59pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Harry - You will LOVE the class with Lance McRorie at Flametree!!! Lance was the one to teach me to make marbles and I haven't made a bead since! He is a wonderful and inspiring teacher who really makes you feel comfortable. He's also got a TORCH (capitals intended) that will make you jump out of your seat the first time he hits the footpedal! I think it is a Delta 3. You'll be working on Lynx's if I remember correctly, so you will definitely see the difference. Lance's wife Maureen is an extraordinary artist in her own right and the pieces of art around the shop are Awesome. Be sure to take time to check out her work in the glass cases too - you will recognize some of them from some of the major books out on lampworking. Have tons of fun - I'm jealous....wish I could go too!!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!

Last edited by j2canoe; 2011-10-03 at 5:14pm.
Old 2011-10-03, 7:04pm

Oh believe me Joan, I'm gonna have a ball there. I drove our secretaries completely bonkers in the department today. I'd sneak in and whisper "Guess what I'm doing on the 22nd" behind their backs. They were ready to stab me with their pens by the time it got to leaving time.

Harry
Old 2011-10-05, 12:30pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:

Holly:

And let's not forget about De and her amazing murrini. ON A HOT HEAD!
Old 2011-10-05, 12:34pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
We all have opinions. Mine is an honest one. Rather than thread crapping here if you wish to discuss this further please PM me.
Larry, from what I witness around here, you can sometimes tend to be a thread crapper and pretty rude. Sometimes the things you say in a thread can be said in a PM. It's okay to state your opinion. Just don't be sonrude while doing it.

Last edited by BrownGirl; 2011-10-05 at 12:49pm.
Old 2011-10-05, 12:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
Larry, from what I witness around here, you tend to be a thread crapper and pretty rude. Sometimes the things you say in a thread can be said in a PM.
Take it to the bathroom where this belongs. Isnt that where you folks usually attack each other personally? Folks in these boards are looking for honest opinions not drama.

Last edited by LarryC; 2011-10-05 at 1:39pm.
Old 2011-10-05, 1:06pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
You are the one that started it. *shrugs*
Old 2011-10-06, 1:16am
professional gimme fiver

Quote:
Thanks for the link on Holly, she is an AMAZING illustrator!