Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-10-29, 5:18pm

Default Annealing question

Hi,

I have a quick question for you pros.

I covered a clear 16mil rod with Aurora and made a dolphin about 4-5 inches long and I have a 6mil(?) rod attached to the bottom of it. Last night I made a spun glass base with about a 3 inch rod with a few marias on it and I'd like to flame cut the rod off the dolphin, leaving abou 2 inches or so, and attach it to the stand I made.

I annealed the stand and the dolphin separately but can I get away with not annealing it once I put it together?

The problem is, I suspect the dolphin got a little shocky when I was making it and I'm afraid if I put it all in the kiln, it's going to crack and come apart for sure. I'm just going to sit it on an end table, not try and sell it or anything and if it eventually comes apart, thats ok but I don't want to bust it before I get to look at it.

Think my joint will hold or is it going to crack at the junction in short time?
Old 2008-10-29, 5:36pm
Bliss Junkie

you should anneal if after you put it together...

put it all in the kiln, and heat it up to 1000, let it soak for 20-30 minutes, and bring it all out and reintroduce it to the flame... should help with the shocking issue...

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2008-10-31, 8:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
Hi,

I have a quick question for you pros.

I covered a clear 16mil rod with Aurora and made a dolphin about 4-5 inches long and I have a 6mil(?) rod attached to the bottom of it. Last night I made a spun glass base with about a 3 inch rod with a few marias on it and I'd like to flame cut the rod off the dolphin, leaving abou 2 inches or so, and attach it to the stand I made.

I annealed the stand and the dolphin separately but can I get away with not annealing it once I put it together?

The problem is, I suspect the dolphin got a little shocky when I was making it and I'm afraid if I put it all in the kiln, it's going to crack and come apart for sure. I'm just going to sit it on an end table, not try and sell it or anything and if it eventually comes apart, thats ok but I don't want to bust it before I get to look at it.

Think my joint will hold or is it going to crack at the junction in short time?
If you bring it back up to temperature very slowly and then let it soak, it should be ok. I find that the all of the NS exotics tend be shocky in general.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-31, 9:12am
boro color bender

You can probably get away with not annealing it. You aren't selling it, both pieces are already annealed and worst case scenario is that the weld you make now cracks later. It's your piece, so it's your call. Chances are you could put it back together again if it did break... but I still don't see any reason not to weld it and throw it into a kiln again. I doubt the pieces you have made will fall apart by going through the cycle again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-10-31, 1:24pm

Thanks for the responses and I know it would be best to pop it back in the kiln once I put it together but I already had the kiln up to temp and there is no way I'd get it through the bead door. Maybe I'll put it in the kiln before turning it on and try to bring it up to temp slow like you suggest. I annealed both pieces and just fused the clear to the colored base.

Here it is and hopefully the picture works and isn't too big or too blurry...
Attached Images