No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-10-20, 1:46pm
Angie09

Default Show me your stringer storage

i was reading a tutorial the other night (of course, now I can't remember which one) and the person said they save all their stringers and have containers labeled with the color names. How would you do that??? How do you store your stringers so you know what they are when you want to use them again????
Old 2014-10-20, 1:52pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
i was reading a tutorial the other night (of course, now I can't remember which one) and the person said they save all their stringers and have containers labeled with the color names. How would you do that??? How do you store your stringers so you know what they are when you want to use them again????

I used to store the colors separately and label each holder, but not any more. Some special colors I still keep separate & labeled, but now I mostly just group by color. (Blues, greens, etc.)

I use tube ice trays.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-10-21, 7:58am

Here is a picture of my "high tech" stringer storage system. lol.
Old 2014-10-21, 9:18am

I always used coffee cans.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-10-21, 5:56pm
Artistically Absorbed

I got some test tubes off ebay and some storage racks for them too. I think it was around 75 dollars or so for a set up of 250 test tubes. I love the system! You can write on the test tube with a sharpie, and wipe it off if you change it. I got so many just because I work in a variety of COEs so keeping them separated became really important.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-10-21, 6:33pm

I am really glad that you brought this up because I have NO SYSTEM!! However, I am finally organizing myself so that will be my chore tomorrow. Thank you!
Old 2014-10-22, 7:59am
Glass-aholic

The ice cube trays that make ice sticks for water bottles.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-10-25, 12:33am

I just ordered some test tubes on ebay. I got my minor set up this weekend so I cleaned up my work area. For some reason I hate tossing even the smallest ammount of glass. I keep stringer even when there is only an inch or 2 left if it is goldstone or dicro or silvered ivory stringer. I have an easier time getting rid of my regular encased stringer. Does anyone else have this problem or am I a weirdo?
Old 2014-10-26, 12:31pm
Ad astra per aspera

I'll ditch the last inch or two if it's a common color sometimes, but often I drop them all in a container and toss bits on an "end of day" bead that gets raked and twisted for some fun effects.

Here's my bench with the ice tubes prominently featured.
Attached Images

Old 2014-10-28, 1:52pm
Must..have..more...glass

I bought some 1/2 inch acrylic tubes at the local plastics store and cut them up into 9 inch pieces. I also bought some 1/2 disks and glued one to the end of each of the tubes with acrylic cement. Because the tubes are clear I can see what's in them, and I can also write the color on the tube with a Sharpie so I can tell which black stringer it is.

Facebook:
Old 2014-10-29, 2:45pm

I started out in stained glass, so I had a Morton glass caddy for scrap pieces of glass. Turns out, it works perfectly for glass rod. (If Morton knew, I'm sure they would market it!)
I ended up buying a second one. But each one holds a lot of glass.

[ATTACH]151807

[/ATTACH]http://www.delphiglass.com/glass-too...on-glass-caddy
Attached Images

Old 2014-10-29, 7:50pm
Ready to hit the road

Copper pipes put into soup cans, then put on a lazy susan.

Old 2014-10-29, 8:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsymn View Post
Copper pipes put into soup cans, then put on a lazy susan.
I did something similar. I cut PVC. The center is the tallest, surrounded by another group one step height down and then a third row if the shortest height. Then it was glued and mounted on a lazy susan. I keep bundles of commercial mostly in that and use the ice cube trays for stuff I pull by hand/specialty cane.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2014-10-29, 10:21pm

I use test tubes and like the clear glass. I then take an empty tomato soup can, spray paint it white and turn it upside down I then ring the can with test tubes, held in place with rubber bands,It's small enough I can easily pick it up and turn it around to find the stringer i want. Ernie Wagner
Old 2014-10-31, 8:55am

I use tall empty jars or canning jars. Olive jars that are tall work great!
Old 2014-11-02, 9:09pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewagnerfrog View Post
I use test tubes and like the clear glass. I then take an empty tomato soup can, spray paint it white and turn it upside down I then ring the can with test tubes, held in place with rubber bands,It's small enough I can easily pick it up and turn it around to find the stringer i want. Ernie Wagner
Great idea!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-11-03, 1:47am

I use a paintbrush holder, and an old pen display. They hold all the stringers and canes I need to have pre-made. SIS, Encased goldstone, vine cane, stamen cane, rose cane.

Mostly though I make and use plain stringer as I need it.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!