Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-01-26, 1:12am

Default Help! Blue Sludge dried out!

Any way to salvage this? Can't even get the lid off. Thought about drilling holes in the lid to hopefully get lid off and adding water. Any experience with this?
Old 2016-01-26, 2:06am

No experience, but maybe you could soak the whole bottle for a while. Flex the bottle occasionally to try and get some water between the threads and lid to soften up the release that is preventing the lid from turning.

If the bottle is really old, don't twist too hard. (I do have experience with that, but it wasn't a bead release bottle.)

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2016-01-26 at 2:09am.
Old 2016-01-26, 2:48am
Dix Harrison

Are contents of bottle dry, too? Or, hard to tell without lid off?

I would cut off jar lid. Scrape dry contents (may be hard chunks) into new container. Add enough warm water to just cover chunks. Soak overnight. Break up chunks w fork. Continue mashing, soaking, and mixing until smooth.
Old 2016-01-26, 8:10am

Soak the jar in warm water with the lid facing down. Place something heavy on top to keep it submerged, a can works well.
If you can clean the groves of the lid, use a tooth pick to remove what gets soft.
After you get the lid off,You can re-hidrate bead release with bottled water of any kind. I throw old wonky beads in a new clean jar with the chunks and wonky beads and shake it up , let it sit and add more water as needed, keep shaking it up. Mash it up with a spoon against the side of the jar, remember to not add to much water, or you,ll have a different problem. You want it like thin pancake batter
Old 2016-01-26, 10:04am
Another band aid pleeeze

If the more refined methods don't work for you, I found that I was able to solve my the same problem with brute force. Slammed the edge of the lid down on concrete floor until it cracked, then jimmied it off. Vrenydrated contents and keep it in the same container with tightly wrapped plastic wrap kept in place with tight rubberband and then lid snapped back on. I suppose you could transfer the reydrated contents to a new airtight container but I didn't want to waste any in doing a transfer.
Good luck!
Old 2016-01-26, 1:01pm

I had similar issues and the lid wasn't stuck so much as when it dried out it created a vacuum ... I drilled a small hole in the center of the lid and was then able to get it off. I covered the hole after rehydrating with a piece of freezer tape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-01-27, 4:46am
Phill

Be sure to use distilled or reveres osmosis water because softened water has trace amounts of salt in it.

I would soak it upside down and try using hot water just above the lid.

If you think it has a vacuum try heating it in hot water right side up.

Good luck.
Old 2016-01-27, 7:07am

I've found that if I wrap a piece of plastic wrap tightly around the jar/lid it doesn't dry out quite as quickly. Handy thing to know if you are like me and go month without using it in the winter.
Old 2016-01-27, 11:00am
Flame Dames Rule!

I put the container upside down in the bathroom sink and fill with enough water to cover the lid. Let it sit for a half hour, and then you'll be able to open it.

Put some water in and when it starts softening, use a knife, mandrel, something sharp and break up the release into smaller chunks. Add more water if necessary.

When it gets softer, stir it up, add final water to the consistency you want, and toss in a marble. Close, wrap a folded paper towel around the lid (cause release does come out sometimes), and shake like hell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2016-01-28, 6:31pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Bead release doesn't go bad, so it should be fine.

Tags
blue sludge