Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-05-12, 9:09pm

Smile ventilation

im setting up my own at home studio, ill be putting it in my garage just under a window. my bench is pretty big 8ftx4ft....
my question is where can i get a suitable hood, and fans... am i going to have to build the hood myself.... any help would be great
Old 2014-05-13, 3:45am

ABR sells a fan/hood package for around 300.00. I just built my own from parts from eBay.
Old 2014-05-13, 6:24am
Flamewoman

You want to look in the safety section of this forum, also in the studio threads for ideas. I had mine made at a local HVAC place. It was the best option, and the least expensive. This is what I did.

the ducts at the back are for replacement air.
the hood is connected to a 900cfm fan situated in a housing on the back of the shed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-05-13, 8:44am
just another glass addict

I don't know where you are, but I thought equipment was cheaper in the hydroponics stores than art stores. And it was easier to check out in person. They are plentiful in my area though.
Mary's set up looks awesome!!

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2014-05-13, 11:43am

Just go to the wood stove area and all the parts,even the fan should be right there. And a lot cheaper! Anyone notice that if it has to do with art that it cost more?
Old 2014-05-14, 5:55am
Flamewoman

I got my squirrel cage fan from Granger. I'm pretty sure that a woodstove place would not have a fan with the capability you would need. You need a pretty powerful fan. If you look on the safety forum pages you can find the way to figure it. I don't remember the formula, been many years now since I did my set up, but ask Dale if you need any help, he is very helpful and knowledgeable. And if you are looking for a cheap hobby, take up femo or something, glasswork is not cheap, not if you do it right.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-05-14, 10:13am

Mary, I thought you said you couldn't fume because of your ventilation. Your system looks like it could suck the hair right off your head. Well, my head anyway. It comes off pretty easy these days.
dave
Old 2014-05-15, 2:16pm
Flamewoman

Ha ha Dave. I just worry about fuming, not sure if anyone has enough ventilation for that, guess I'm a paranoid. I also have asthma. I'm careful about loading any further damage to my pretty beat up body. If....I get old I would like to be able to breathe. I understand that is how you get really old, breathing I mean. I am 61 years old and my "best by" date was a long time ago. It will likely be the Kool Aide that gets me in the end though.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-05-15, 3:09pm

Judging by the glass you make I would say your "best by" date is going strong. I do understand about fuming w/ asthma; why risk it. Keep making beautiful glass and breathing deeply!
Dave
Old 2014-05-22, 11:42am

If you plan to work big, get the squirrel cage fan. I bought the fan/hood combo from glasscraft years ago, and I have issues with the fan shutting off because of overheating when I do multiple 3" spheres on a warm day.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Tags
duct, hood, ventilation