Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-02-28, 1:42am

Default copper fuming?

i was just wondering if anyone has tried fuming with copper? I know sometimes they use copper foil for stained glass and beads but never heard of fuming with copper. Can this be done? Are there any other materials you can use to fume beside gold and silver?
Old 2011-02-28, 7:01am
Pyromaniac

I think there is a toxicity issue - Even gold and silver require precautions, but many other metals are downright dangerous.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-02-28, 11:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
I think there is a toxicity issue - Even gold and silver require precautions, but many other metals are downright dangerous.
Always a good point! I read on the melting pot awhile back about a guy who was using old pennies to fume with and getting some interesting results, I have never tried it myself though.
Old 2011-02-28, 2:25pm
Alaska Boro

Give it a try with a piece of copper wire and see what happens. Make sure that your ventilation system is capable of removing all the fumes and report your findings.
Old 2011-02-28, 2:41pm
ManBearPig

Do not try it under any circumstances. Fumes from copper are extremely toxic. Plus, all it does is turn black anyways...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-28, 4:46pm
Borovangelist

I haven't fumed with copper, but I've used it inside and on the surface before, it doesn't always go black.

And don't go anywhere near the new pennies; they're mostly zinc and dangerous.

|
|
Old 2011-02-28, 7:20pm

I mixed a color using Cu2O and the copper fumed the clear punty to a really nice pink/red. Keep in mind that this was after 20 minutes at near white heat.

I tried it with just copper on a rod. You can see that the copper is on their when its hot because it is fumey looking. It takes a long time to get enough on there to see it by it self, but you might try it on some colors.

Good ventilation!

Old 2011-02-28, 8:35pm
It's about having fun!

Okay, this is way off subject but, my father in law told my husband to put some copper pipe in our fire pit because it makes cool flames. Oh boy. Would this be toxic? Does the fire pit get hot enough to worry about.?
Old 2011-02-28, 9:12pm

I think you'll be fine. Especially if you are outside. Copper does make really cool flames. Green or blue depending on its oxidation state.

Old 2011-02-28, 9:54pm
It's about having fun!

Thank you! We will see how it goes! Boys and their toys :c)
Old 2011-03-01, 2:19am
OOoh it glows when it's

I have fumed with copper. A light fume gives a really nice rose color, and a heavy fume causes a rainbow luster effect that looks like niobium.
The problem I had with it is that it takes a LOT of copper to get any results.
As far as toxicity goes I assume that everything I'm working with is toxic and take ample precaution. Silver will turn you into a smurf, gold will eat your liver, and most colors have some type of heavy mettle in them.
I'm not sure of what type of structure copper forms, or how well it adheres to glass so I definitely wouldn't use it on smoking or eating/drinking utensils without doing some serious research first
I abandoned the idea after going through roughly two feet of copper wire to get the same rose color I was getting from 1/32nd of an inch of gold wire

Hope this helps
Old 2014-12-03, 11:40am

I haven't looked into boro Ruby, but in the hot shop, there is a colour called Copper Ruby, super high in copper. turns clear when you work and strikes during annealing. may be a less dangerous way to use copper.