Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-03-16, 2:55pm
Borovangelist

Find out what the others in your area are paying. I was paying my suppliers over 45.00 a K tank and found out what range others were in, and given I'd been with them over about 7 years too, I was @#$sed.

I'm now paying 16.50 a tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2012-03-16, 5:04pm
Serenity Now!

I think that's part of my problem Tom. There <aren't> others in my area, as I'm living deep in the forest, rather remotely. $16.50 is amazing. I think the base price for mine is somewhere around $55ish, but then they add-on a dangerous materials transport fee ('cause I couldn't possibly transport it), and a bunch of other stuff...comes to $80. Then I have to pay a guy down the road to lug it from the driveway up and around to it's shed out back.
Ouch. But - so far I haven't seen a set-up that can compare to the tanked oxy which I know and love, so a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, and all that jazz.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2012-03-16, 5:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the Moon View Post
But - so far I haven't seen a set-up that can compare to the tanked oxy which I know and love, so a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, and all that jazz.
We got ourselves a concentrator and Homefill pump and are filling our own oxy for a year now. We hire the bottles from the company and pay rent and every 4 - 6 months we get swap overs. This ensures we have tested bottles on the premises. One bottle is being filled while the other one is in use. We've gone from $700 - $900 a month on oxy to about $50 a month.

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2012-03-16, 7:19pm
Pyromaniac

Quote:
I've been with them for the last 7 years or so, and they charge me about $80/tank. Would love to know if you know a 'trick' to get that number down.
Robbery. Plain and simple robbery. You are being taken advantage of. When I'm working glass with any regularity, a K tank (200 cu ft) lasts me mere days. In one year, at 2 tanks a week, that is EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS. Insanity. You could buy a cryogenic plant in just a couple years and sell oxygen yourself at a profit at those rates.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-03-16, 7:31pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

First off, set up an account at your dealer. That act alone saved me $30.00 per tank. Then take a few baubles in to show and donate them to the owners/managers wife. That saved me enough that I get 'K' tanks for about $18.00
Old 2012-03-17, 8:25am

I did the same as Cheng. Went from $37 to $15 (before the add on charges). You could also get more than one tank at a time to lower delivery fees.
Old 2012-03-17, 10:42am

What home fill system do you have Wicked?
Old 2012-03-17, 2:35pm
Serenity Now!

Thanks for all your info everyone. I'd also love more detailed info please Wicked. I simply must make a change. I did set-up an account with my provider (Praxair) years ago, but the guys I deal with - well, they're car dudes, and not interested in the least about anything glass related. Or so it seems. They're just middle-men anyways, as Praxair itself doesn't deliver to the boonies where I'm at.

Btw Gary - I actually pay rent on two tansk for a yearly rate, and do, in fact get 2 tanks delivered at a time. The price I quoted is based on that 'supposed' deal.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2012-03-17, 9:15pm

Ouch. Sorry to hear that Val.
$50 a month looks real good to me. I'm going to have to look at home fill a bit closer.
Old 2012-03-18, 1:19am

Quote:
I'd also love more detailed info please Wicked. I simply must make a change.
We got our first homefill from Unlimited Oxygen, but the pump that came with it was a nightmare and never worked properly. First a broken belt that took over a month for UO to send me a replacement for and then the realisation that the motor shaft was broken and on top of that the frustration of trying to deal with UO. The concentrator that came with the setup is great though, I think it's one of their M-15s
Anyway, I was able to source a homefill pump from a member on another glass melting forum and this pump is great! So, the difference is that the UO pump was a Homefill II "Venture" and a lot of the parts, including the piston parts, are aluminium, non durable and fast wearing. If the piston hub is only slightly unaligned, it's knock about and screw up your piston rods in short order. The pump we replaced it with is just called a Homefill II and has brass parts. So, the short and curly of that is, whatever you do (and while I can recommend their concentrators), do not get a Homefill II Venture system from UO.
You may be able to find one on Craigs List, I've seen them come up there, find one with very low hours.
So ... all you need to fill up your tanks is a decent oxy con (specs on the M-15 are 8 LPM at 15 PSI), a Homefill II pump and a "whip" which is an adapter hose with pressure gauge to fit onto your tanks. The pump has an auto cutoff switch which prevents it from overfilling your bottles.

Running a
Old 2012-03-18, 8:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
First off, set up an account at your dealer. That act alone saved me $30.00 per tank. Then take a few baubles in to show and donate them to the owners/managers wife. That saved me enough that I get 'K' tanks for about $18.00
I am down to $20 per K tank and the manager likes blown glass pumpkins
Old 2012-03-18, 12:21pm

Thanks Wickid.
Old 2012-03-27, 9:14pm
DM Pipes

Default Update

Alright, So... Since posting this, I have been working hard on getting my setup done. I made a kiln, and a torch.

The Kiln is 120v, it draws about 13 amps, digital temperature readout/control.

The torch has a center and outer fire. The outer ring has 15 fuel ports, and 4 in the center. Originally I had 7 in the center, but I was having a lot of trouble soldering the thin wall tubing, so I had to modify it a bit. Right now I have it set at 10 psi oxy, and 5 psi propane. Seems to burn nicely, but I have nothing to compare it to....so I really don't know, haha. It can achieve a fairly wide range of flame characteristics it seems... the pinpoint seems just like what I wanted. The torch face stays relatively cool to the touch in use. Basically just made it from brass and copper tubes. I salvaged the valves from some victor style oxy/acetylene torch handles I found at the pawn shop, never been used before.

So that's about it for now, I need to put some sheet metal down on the table for a nice fireproof work surface. And make some tools. I already have ventilation covered, if anyone was wondering where that was.

I may start on a new torch soon, and transfer what I learned from making this one... I think It can improve the design a bit.

In any case, I saved a lot of money so far, heh.

Looking forward to melting some glass now!

Old 2012-03-27, 10:22pm

That torch is so cool.

Old 2012-03-28, 12:16am

Looks good, you're quite handy, aren't ya?
Couple of things you might want to consider though
If you haven't got a flashback arrestor on your gas, you should probably get one, especially if you're playing around with home made torches.
Another thing, if your brass tubes don't turn out too well, which they may not in the long run, try surgical steel needles from syringes. They do work well and are durable.
Have fun and be careful

Running a
Old 2012-03-28, 12:35am
DM Pipes

I do have flashback arrestors, they are right after the Y connections under the bench. I also thought it would be a good idea...considering this is my first torch build.

I'll keep those surgical steel needles in mind! I never thought of using those.

Old 2012-03-28, 5:54am
Pyromaniac

Loving the DIY here. Do a write up on your torch build - you could probably sell it (with appropriate disclaimers).

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-03-28, 8:55am

Nice work Dan! I love the look of the torch, it came out great.
The kiln looks cool too. You will want to put something on the handle that will
insulate your hand from the heat though because that will be hot.
It could use a hinge too.
It also appears that you have regular copper wire connected to the element
connectors, you will burn your connections pretty quick if you don't use high temp
appliance wire with high temp connectors.
With that being said, these are some of the Coolest DIY projects I've seen on here in a while, Thanks for showing us your work! Your pipes are a work of art as well.
Old 2012-03-28, 9:35am
DM Pipes

Thanks for the recommendations Mike. I thought that the element connectors were pretty strange looking... this is what the kiln supplies place gave me... I'll have to replace that.

Old 2012-03-28, 11:54am

Good job Dan.
Old 2012-04-03, 8:43am
...displaced ocean lover

This is one of the most interesting threads I've ever read on LE.
It went from, "help me with my setup" to "hey, look...I made my own freeeeking torch!" That's just awesome!!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-04-04, 7:45pm
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
This is one of the most interesting threads I've ever read on LE.
It went from, "help me with my setup" to "hey, look...I made my own freeeeking torch!" That's just awesome!!
Yeah, I second what Roo Blaty said. I enjoyed every second of that!!!

Old 2012-04-04, 10:22pm

Quote:
I'm curious who a person needs to know at Praxair to get a good deal on the oxy though. I've been with them for the last 7 years or so, and they charge me about $80/tank. Would love to know if you know a 'trick' to get that number down.
$80/tank . I thought I was the only one being ripped off by praxair; I used to pay $60/tank (down here in Costa Rica). Then I recently switched to a concentratror and man thatīs a whole different story!!! . I dont have to worry about running out of oxy and Iīve had more time to learn new techniques.
I would suggest you to switch to concentrators, maybe a couple of M20 from Unlimited oxygen would do the job, itīs around $400 for each but itīs a great investment. How much do you spend on a regular month buying oxy from praxair?
Old 2012-04-05, 8:04am
...displaced ocean lover

Yeah, what's with the difference in the price of AIR?

I was quoted $68 plus rental fees. I'd rather get 2 giant oxycon's and (try to) build that "holding tank" thingy. I think in a year or two, I'd use enough O2 that that the price of the 2 concentrators would pay for themselves quickly, if I opt for that route.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-05, 10:21am
Curmudgeon Engineering

The holding tank thing is rediculously simple. Even a caveman can do it. LOL
Just cut your oxycon supply hose at some convenient place and insert a 'T' fitting. run a short hose from the 'T' to the tank and you're done.
Old 2012-04-05, 1:59pm
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
The holding tank thing is rediculously simple. Even a caveman can do it. LOL

Just cut your oxycon supply hose CUT!? .
Actually...that does sound kinda simple when I got over the shock of cutting something...

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-05, 11:38pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Ya gotta break some eggs to get an omelette (sp)!
Old 2012-04-06, 8:39am

Rolls off topic sorry....

Your Pipes are really cool Dan!! Gorgeous Should make me an electric one

Old 2012-04-13, 5:33pm
DM Pipes

Default New torch!

Hey thanks for all the great comments everyone!

So, learning from my first design, I decided to make a 2.0 version. I'm much happier with this torch setup, and probably won't have to make another for a long time, so now its REALLY time to start working glass...

Here is the new torch, I decided against an independent center fire this time, and just went with a duel torch setup. The smaller torch has 7 fuel ports, and makes a really fine pinpoint flame, much better than my first design. The larger torch has 15 fuel/oxy ports.

I lengthened the torches to keep the bodies cooler in use, this was the main problem with my first torch, and there seem to run much cooler now.

Still playing around with psi settings for my oxy/propane, any suggestions? 5psi propane and 10psi oxy seems to work just fine.

Anyhow, let me know what you guys think!

Old 2012-04-13, 6:38pm

Forget about making pipes you have a future as a torch manufacturer
those look great

#C-151