Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-07-08, 6:46am
Pyromaniac

GA Grape is pretty much black for the purposes of backing too, although it transmit purple, it's very dense. I've used it in a pinch.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-07-08, 8:12am
The Venerable Bead

raven fine frit for me
onyx is very nice too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Paula AKA The Venerable Bead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2010-07-08, 8:16am
The Venerable Bead

how about tag's blackjack?

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2010-07-08, 8:53am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlando1 View Post
I love the Asian black I get from ABR. Melts easily, doesn't bubble and it's inexpensive!
A couple words of warning about the Asian black...

It doesn't work well with other colors over it. I used it to back some marbles, and whatever colors I put over top of it bled into the black and the edges became all fuzzy.

Also, I've had compatibility problems with larger marbles. I've had it shear off the black in one clean piece on three different marbles. I've talked to others who have had similar problems.

Those two reasons are why I don't use it any more...

Old 2010-07-08, 10:25am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

The last few beads I made using a base of asian black from ABR all cracked on me.

Old 2010-07-08, 11:13am

TAG's Blackjack is a really nice and smooth self striking black.
Old 2010-07-13, 8:19pm

Jet is really stiff, but pretty good. However, I have had chalky boily stuff show up inside the rods from time to time.

I used to swear by GA Black Violet, but I have been getting more and more rods with bubbles in them so I have stopped ordering it. I hate laying down a backing on a large marble only to have a line of bubbles show up. Or to have them start rising to surface after I have already put my pinwheels on.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-05-22, 12:11am
Bernhard Riegler

just to share this with everyone - the best black I found was TAG Nightrider - easy to work and very forgiving - stays black and melts in easy - awesome as backing for fuming - makes the colors pop . . . . hope to get more soon . . . .

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2011-05-22, 6:38am

i like momka,s black rose too seems easy enough to work.
Old 2011-05-22, 7:27am

Onyx and ninja
Old 2011-05-22, 9:09am

I like the GA Raven but my favorite black is TAG Black Elvis flows very well and stays black.

#C-151
Old 2011-05-22, 2:45pm
Save the Numbats

Yeah, it's really a tossup. They all have tradeoffs...

The faux blacks like Onyx and Walnut work very nicely, but aren't quite black. Walnut's brown, Onyx is green.

The dark transparents like Dark Amethyst, Black Violet and so on work well in some applications, but not where they're thinned out or can transmit light. Black Elvis and the other striking/self striking blacks are nice, but can be transparent other colors if thinned out, too. I haven't tried some of the new ones, but I used to like NS Sable.

The dark blacks like Jet Black, Ninja, Black Blue or Obsidian are dense, very black and generally opaque, but are stiff and need to be worked in an oxidizing flame to prevent cobalt reduction, more so than the other types.

I've probably missed a few but basically, as everyone else notes above, it's hard to find a perfect, all-around boro black.
Old 2011-05-22, 3:11pm

When I started Making marbles I was using NS Jet Black but it is very stiff and hard to work with so I switched to NS Dark Amethyst and it is really nice as long as it is not thinned out too much.
Old 2011-05-22, 4:25pm
Bernhard Riegler

this TAG nightrider is the most awesome black of them all - fume some silver over the top and you never use an other black again - the silver over nightrider will give you those electric blues - I am hooked - - - and it is not stiff and it tolerates any kind of flame - It just won't discolor

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand