Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-02, 1:50pm

Default Opinions on retail experience

This one has been brewing in my mind since Tuesday. I had purchased a batch of clear rod and color from an online retailer and it arrived this Tuesday. I wont mention who since I dont want to turn this into a bitching session but I do honestly want to know the collective opinions here. I opened the box which was more that twice as large as the order and was filled with packing. I reached into the box to remove the packing and I felt a pain in my hand immediately. Realized I had a gash about a quarter inch deep! After bandaging and removing the packing I found that one of the bundles of rod had 1/2 inch long razor sharp shards on both ends from cutting in thirds. The person who cut them didnt bother to break them off nor pack them so they were covered. I took a picture of the rod ends and called the retailer and got an indifferent response about this. This is not acceptable to me and I think I will stop ordering from them because of their negligence. Is this a common state to ship rod in? Am I unreasonable to expect the rods to be cleaned up after cutting? I have only been purchasing rod for about 6 months so I dont know if this is acceptable industry practice. Thought?
Old 2011-07-02, 1:58pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Opinion? This is unacceptable. Period. And no. I have never received rod in that condition from any of the vendors I've purchased from.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-07-02, 2:16pm
Nikki Haverstock

I would suggest calling and asking to speak to a manager and find out if this is a company wide attitude of indifference or just that person. Plus the company deserves to know. I am not saying you should continue to shop there but I personally wold do that.

I have bought glass where the ends were sharp. I figured that since it is glass the ends would be sharp. But I cannot see your glass to tell if yours is significantly worse than mine was. I have only been buying glass for 6 months so i might have received an unacceptably sharp piece as well and not realized it.

I hope your hand heals quickly and safely.
Old 2011-07-02, 2:24pm
Sheila Davis Designs

After 21 years in the retail business I always wanted to know when there was a problem.Not shopping there will not help them improve their customer service,they won't know why you didn't come back.Besides,you'll feel better letting them know!

Old 2011-07-02, 2:31pm

You should never, ever have to worry about your safety when opening a package! I very rarely find any sharp edges on my glass and when I do its AFTER I have unrwapped it from its very secure packaging. It would never occur to me that I might slice my hand on a piece of glass in a package, unless the post has completely beat the crap out of it.

Old 2011-07-02, 2:47pm

I've received one order that way. I disliked it strongly as well and shared that opinion with the vendor. Especially with ends sticking out of a glass rack, I wasn't fond of that...

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2011-07-02, 2:48pm

I too think that's pretty unacceptable but I've learned to be careful opening glass orders because it does happen. Now HOW it happens baffles me. If they're cutting rod on a wetsaw, why not just finish the damn cut? There's no need to be breaking it off like that. I've gotten clear rod cut in halfs and thirds, it's come wet still and with dried glass dust on it and that doesn't bother me as much as finding crappy cut ends that I have to go and burn off.

Old 2011-07-02, 2:59pm
Triumphantly Knit!

No that's not usual Larry. Glass rods usually come packaged carefully. I would be really upset if I reached in a box and came up bleeding. Even weapons come wrapped safely, art supplies certainly should.
I would for sure call and ask to speak with the owner. S/he would want to know if there is a lack of customer service if it's a legit business.

I'm sorry you got cut and were blown off and if you want to post what happened next I'd like to know. I don't need to know who it was although I sure would want to be warned if this is happening to anyone else.

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-07-02, 3:01pm
Growing Edge Glass

Yep...sharp ends would bother me...for safety reasons.

I've been purchasing glass since 2007 and have never encountered shards/sharp ends on rods....nor have I ever received rods that weren't totally wrapped up.

I can't even imagine shipping/selling rods that were sharp on the ends....just doesn't seem professional at all. On top of that your issue was met with indifference...again not professional.

That would be my last purchase with this seller....there are too many other sellers who actually care about their product and their customers.

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~

Last edited by Truewealth; 2011-07-02 at 3:10pm.
Old 2011-07-02, 3:37pm

I recently received an order of glass that arrived dirty, with sharp ends, broken rods, and wrapped in a sheet of paper inside a box, inside a box. I ended up returning all of this glass for a refund, minus my shipping. If this had been my first experience with ordering glass I would not have realized this isn't how most companies do business. I definitely don't think this is acceptable.
Old 2011-07-02, 3:55pm

Thanks all for the sanity check. I have forwarded the picture on to their main email address with an explanation.
Old 2011-07-02, 5:16pm

I too recently received an order with jagged glass. I wasn't impressed with that but even less impressed when I discovered the shipping plus (unmentioned) handling charge were almost as much as the glass I ordered. If I'm going to be surprised by the handling charge when the invoice arrives at the very least I should receive decently cut glass.
Old 2011-07-02, 5:48pm
I'm a lilac!

I've probably cut myself on glass ends hundreds of times... I tend to assume the ends may be sharp, and handle it carefully.

Old 2011-07-02, 7:09pm
They see me rollin'...

I've cut myself too, sure, but I've never received an order with jagged ends in the 10 years I've been ordering glass. And if it's buried in the packaging that way, you can't see it. Kind of dangerous, IMHO.

-Patti
Old 2011-07-02, 7:18pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

I'm so sorry this happened to you! There are a couple of vendors out there that I do not do business with and wouldn't if they were giving glass away, but the VAST majority of the vendors DO care about more than just your money and do an excellent job. The ones that I use constantly and have never had a problem with are Howaco, FlameDame, FlameKissed, Glasscraft, Mountain Glass Arts and Double Helix - all have Superb Customer service, and excellent product. There are many other fine ones too - these are just the ones that I have had consistently good experiences with.

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-07-03, 5:11am
Run Free Sweet Boy

yikes.... I totally understand sharp ends.. its glass....but it should at least be bundled with the ends covered. you should not have to reach into packing you can not see and get cut badly..... I have never gotten glass this way, and I have been around it over 30 years.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-07-03, 5:18am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Unacceptable, and more unacceptable is the indifferent response. I've never gotten glass in that condition and would be very upset if I did.

Old 2011-07-03, 6:14am

most likely the glass was just scratch and snapped, thats were i get my sharp ends not saw cut. and you should most definitely complain about there packaging style. sounds like they are cutting corners and doing sloppy work in the shipping dept.
Old 2011-07-03, 6:35am

It happens with saw cut ends too - a lot of the glass I buy has that to a small extent, but we're talking up to 5mm rather than half an inch! I do snip them off on the glass I sell, but that's not really feasible for vendors with higher volume.

That long is definitely excessive and they should have been packaged better.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-07-03, 7:03am

I have received glass with sharp jagged ends. I have added that vender to my do not buy list after seeing what they charged me for shipping.................
Old 2011-07-04, 7:18pm

I once paid Lauscha a small fortune to cut glass for me before shipping it. I ended up with piles of jagged ends and almost lost a finger on one myself. I usually snip them when I see them before shipping ...Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2011-07-04, 11:32pm
one day at a time

Wow, the ends should have been covered. Ouch!
Old 2011-07-05, 2:36pm

So, Larry, they were not even wrapped with anything??? That's nuts.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-07-05, 2:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
So, Larry, they were not even wrapped with anything??? That's nuts.
Both ends of all of the rods and tubing were open. A few rubber bands and a few wraps of plastic across the middle. Sent them the picture no response so far. Wont waste anymore time on them.