Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2015-01-25, 2:50pm

Default Acceptable countertop surfaces.

My wife Lynn will be traveling for 4 days in March. I would like to enlarge and freshen up her studio space. Lynn currently works at her torch in the garage on one of my stainless steel work benches. I would like to move this set up into her main studio. Lynn does stained glass, fusing, and lamp working. I have all the need parts for a new ventilation system for the torch. I just want to make sure that the work surface is suitable for all her hobbies. I've got big plans for all her glass storage since there are many different types and COE's! I am considering solid surface, Formica, and stainless steel (if I can find some one to fab it). The initial work are will be "L" shaped at 7'x7' with a separate 4' wide area for just the torching area. Thank you in advance for your ideas, opinions, and suggestions.
Thanks,
The husband
Old 2015-01-25, 3:04pm

LOL .. I had to check this out and will be following since I'm in the process (I hope) to having a studio built at home. (waiting on contractor for pricing .. then off to the township for building permit).

I fuse and torch (no stained glass here) but I have poured concrete counters in my current studio at a family friend's farmette. He made them just for me.

Looking to have him do the same thing at my home studio ... unless I can come up with a really cheap piece of granite counter top!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-25, 3:06pm

Something fireproof. Mine is steel sheet over wood. Tile would work (but more annoying to clean up little bits of glass) or granite, marble, etc., and the floor around the work area (for several feet) should be fireproof, as well. What a great thing you're doing for her! I was in the garage, too, until hubby built my studio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-01-26, 9:23pm

I have a granite top on my bench and I love it. Fireproof, durable, and easy to keep clean.
Old 2015-01-27, 8:45am

if you don't want to invest a lot in countertops, lay down your formica, then get a large aluminum cookie sheet from one of the restaurant suppliers, cut the side of it off, leave the other 3 sides on and you have a great work area for the torch that will keep glass fragments all in a confined space.

I finally replaced the wood under my torch and cookie sheet with a piece of scrap granite, but I still use the cookie sheet as it keeps all the little bits n pieces in a small area for clean up I think the sides of the sheets are like 3/4 an inch. I cut one of the long sides off with a hack saw and tin snips , then filed it smooth. The side with the edge I cut off sits flush with the edge of my workbench and then the torch sits on top. I welded up some arm rests out of clamps a while back and they help hold the sheet in place.

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-01-27 at 8:48am.
Old 2015-01-27, 11:13am
Wonder-wench

I would skip the formica, there are many better surfaces to choose considering you are moving and resetting everything anyway. Personally, I would prefer a stainless steel, granite or tile, in that order. Maybe some stained glass or fusers could chime in on what they like best for that kind of work and then settle on what works best for both stained glass and lampwork.

Old 2015-01-27, 12:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphousDesigns View Post
I would skip the formica, there are many better surfaces to choose considering you are moving and resetting everything anyway. Personally, I would prefer a stainless steel, granite or tile, in that order. Maybe some stained glass or fusers could chime in on what they like best for that kind of work and then settle on what works best for both stained glass and lampwork.

Uh - lampworker, fuser AND stained glass artist here - I did chime in and you made it a point to infer formica is not a good choice.
For the record, stainless steel is usually the most expensive per linear foot of the 3 so while it may seem like the most "obvious" it may not be the most efficient in terms of cost and time.....

I provided the suggestions based on cost and availability.

Surfaces, (like everything else), are a personal preference - granite, steel and tile may be better but that's subjective - better for what - depends on what you are doing. They're also way more money and they too have their cons.

Tile for a cutting table will be horrible because the grout lines will cause problems - press the wrong way and you'll crack your glass due to the gaps between tiles. Granite and steel are great for torching but a little hard for glass cutting ( again personal opinion). They are also expensive. an L shaped granite counter top 7 x 7 is going to cost you close to 3500 dollars unless you can find scraps.

For my fusing table where I cut glass for stained and fused projects - I used vinyl over plywood. I originally had a piece of outdoor carpet on that counter. I liked the cushion it provided my glass for cutting but I didn't like all the little flecks of glass getting caught in the carpet so I switched to vinyl.

I like the "give" vinyl provides for cutting glass and it allows for easy cleanup. The stained glass business downtown uses just a 3/4 inch fiberboard top for their cutting table, so again - it's all what you learn to work with. Personally cutting sheets of glass on top of a granite counter would bug me to no end (since its hard on hard and requires a little extra care setting glass sheets down) but then that's MY personal pref.

Just for an example of one of many, many solutions possible, you can see vinyl, granite and formica surfaces here: http://nevadaglassworks.com/webcam

you can just see the edge of the formica next to the torch station and you can see the granite sitting on top of my old computer desk which was also formica.
The center island was made from cabinets from HD and a piece of plywood as a top with vinyl adhered to the top of it. The back counter by the window is also vinyl and the counter to the right of the window all the way around to the edge of the torch is formica. As I said they have been there for 13 years so durability isn't an issue.

The granite on my lampwork station was a piece of scrap granite that was given to me. it sits on top of the original formica computer desk that I have used faithfully for 13 years. The other 1/2 of the torching bench where all the glass rods are stored remains formica to this day and has worked just fine (and has 1 tiny burn mark on it in 13 years of service)

I do actually like the granite on my torch bench but honestly, the cookie sheet sits on top of it so its more of an aesthetic thing at this point. Prior to the granite, the cookie sheet sat right on the formica. It doesn't make nor has it ever made a functional difference with my torch.

To "the Husband" - You do what your pocket book and time can afford and don't let anyone convince you one way is better than the other - INCLUDING ME /wink.

All of them have advantages and disadvantages. Having been a kitchen designer at HD in a past life , I could give you a breakdown of all the pro's and cons of various surfaces. It's also why I know the costs well enough but honestly - it's really not that important to prove the point. I just couldn't see spending an extra 5 k on surfaces in my studio when what I have works perfectly fine and has done so for 13 years.

Artists adapt and any of them will serve their purpose just fine.

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-01-27 at 5:48pm.
Old 2015-01-27, 5:22pm
Queen of the milo field

Since you've got a couple months check out local auction listings for various items. Don't know where you're located, but I always keep an eye out for restaurant going-out-of-business auctions. They often have great stainless steel prep tables of various heights/sizes and they can go fairly cheaply. Well, around here. Don't know about anywhere really urban. I like the steel, but then I only torch; don't mess w/sheets & such.

dj
Old 2015-01-27, 5:44pm

that's a great idea Croft !!!

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-01-27 at 5:53pm. Reason: felt like I was hijacking thread
Old 2015-01-30, 11:45pm
kinda torching....

i bought a brand new looking 2ftx4ft and a shitty looking older style 3x5-6ft and paid $75 each!

Old 2015-01-31, 10:15am

Since this is a permanent setup, I'm leaning towards building something that fits the space and optimizes storage (lots of glass, mostly sheet, different COE's). Currently we have different free standing work benches that we've aquired over time and it makes the work space disjointed. I will be redoing the walls in a white fiberglass panel, commonly used in commercial bathrooms. The floor is concrete and will be etched and epoxy painted for easy sweeping and vacuuming without creating a lot of dust. There will be built in storage underneath and above with seated positions for working at the torch. Seems that Lynn stands to do most other forms of glass work. I'm a certified Corian installer from a previous life and I can purchase the sheet wholesale and fab it up myself with a backsplash and a routed front edge. This will save me money. I can't find anyone to just fab the stainless sheet for me and custom countertop shop wants $2500.00 for the counters as I've drawn them. Formica countertop is the least expensive and the easiest to do. Just not sure of the long term durability. Lynn has a "board" that she cuts most of her sheet on. I think that it's an old drop ceiling tile. She likes the feel, they're cheap to replace when they wear out and she actually jig her work on it as well with some kind of push pin and aluminum angle system. (Morton)? I think I just convinced myself on Solid surface. Any cons to using a torch with this surface? All the kilns are shielded with concrete backer board if they are to close to a flammable wall covering. Her main kiln is on a rolling cart I fabbed up for her. Keep the discussion going. It's really helping me. Thank you.
The husband.
Old 2015-01-31, 2:26pm

Hi Jerbear - just asked hubby about my sheet metal surface. He went to an HVAC place and had them bend it to fit the plywood work surface and around the front 2x4. Approximately 4'x3' and the cost was $25 total for metal and bends. Hubby then cut holes in the metal for my return air vents.

Old 2015-02-01, 1:42pm

Not a big fan of Formica or solid surface.
They just don't deal well with hot glass.

You can use 1/2" or thicker marine grade plywood and mount different surfaces to them.

Used just like you do in the kitchen.
Cutting board, bread board, and cooling racks usually live standing on edge in some out of the way spot.

Old 2015-02-02, 8:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthelm View Post
Not a big fan of Formica or solid surface.
They just don't deal well with hot glass.

You can use 1/2" or thicker marine grade plywood and mount different surfaces to them.

Used just like you do in the kitchen.
Cutting board, bread board, and cooling racks usually live standing on edge in some out of the way spot.
agreed about hot surfaces - that's why the cookie sheet but if you guys are finding places to get metal for 25 - 50 bucks - that's a great deal - unfortunately I live in a mining town where everything is tripled to take advantage of the greed factor because mining brings a ton of revenue into a community but also causes every business to jack up prices exponentially to take advantage of all the money they throw away LOL so I am forced to find alternatives but moral of the story is get the best of what you can afford (or ship) hehehe.

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2015-02-02 at 8:55am.
Old 2015-02-04, 2:28am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Will you marry me? What an amazing hubby you are.
Old 2015-02-04, 7:15am
Phill

I have to second the idea of sheet metal.

I got mine from the heating and air conditioning place in my small town. Even marked up it was only some $18 for a 3x8 foot sheet and I think I could have gotten it with bends where I wanted for a few dollars more.

Some folks go with a plywood base with loose granite tiles just sitting on top. The tiles can come with very crisp edges and fit together very tightly when trapped by an edging of some sort.

I think even tile backer board with a decent coat of paint works fine.

Having a fire proof surface for some four feet around the torch is the point but you can get fancy (ish) in the area just a foot or two around the torch.

I found a white marble door threshold at our local Habitat For Humanity resale store and I use it as wrist rest between my chair and the torch.

I assume you know about the white PVC fence rail that a lot of us use for storage of glass rods. I cut mine 9 inches long and glued it together with PVC pipe glue.

I wish you good luck with this and want to see what you come up with.
Old 2015-02-26, 12:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedslug View Post
I have to second the idea of sheet metal.

I got mine from the heating and air conditioning place in my small town. Even marked up it was only some $18 for a 3x8 foot sheet and I think I could have gotten it with bends where I wanted for a few dollars more.

Some folks go with a plywood base with loose granite tiles just sitting on top. The tiles can come with very crisp edges and fit together very tightly when trapped by an edging of some sort.

I think even tile backer board with a decent coat of paint works fine.

Having a fire proof surface for some four feet around the torch is the point but you can get fancy (ish) in the area just a foot or two around the torch.

I found a white marble door threshold at our local Habitat For Humanity resale store and I use it as wrist rest between my chair and the torch.

I assume you know about the white PVC fence rail that a lot of us use for storage of glass rods. I cut mine 9 inches long and glued it together with PVC pipe glue.

I wish you good luck with this and want to see what you come up with.
I am so glad I found this post, thank you! I have been trying to get some clarity on my set-up and the sheet metal available from Home Depot is so expensive.

How is that threshold set up so that you are able to use it for a wrist rest?
Old 2015-03-01, 6:10pm

talk to a welding shop or air conditioning sheet metal shop sheet metal shop will have benders to form a piece if you want stainless look for a restaurant hood maker
Steve's Welding
Old 2015-03-02, 2:23am
Phill

At the moment my wrist rest marble is being held in place by a pair of 'c' clamps. The threshold is almost 48 inches long so the clamps are well off to the side and mostly under the bench as well.

Oh and elbow rest is probably closer to the better description of the marble pieces.

I do have four of those foam blocks used in 'yoga' stretch poses to actually rest my wrists on and I am constantly rearranging them to get different heights.
They are about 4 x 6 x 10 inches and with two on each side I can get a wide variation of sizes according to what my arms wants while I have molten glass on the end of a stick.

Did I mention that I got really lucky and found someone stuck with three sheets of one inch thick pool table slate?
That is the surface of my hot glass bench and I think it will withstand just about anything I throw at it as long as I leave out sledge hammers.
I cut it with a wet tile saw and a couple of furniture dollies to make a sliding sled.
Old 2015-03-02, 2:41pm

I've been looking for a good workbench solution too. My husband found this on Instructables and we're going to build it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Home...itchen-Island/
Old 2015-03-03, 9:29pm

I have loved concrete counter tops for years and printed out the directions. I'm planning on making a base similar the one in this project; I appreciate not having to re-invent the wheel.
Old 2015-03-04, 10:57am

Oh Patty, you have no idea what you've done. We've been talking retrofitting the windowsills with concrete sills for ages. This has given me the knowledge to actually make it happen. I had no idea they had actually formulated a concrete mix for counter tops. It didn't exist when we built our house, or this would have been a done deal.
Old 2015-03-04, 12:59pm
Phill

And they have got mix in paints and acid surface stains these days too.

Lots of possibilities.
Old 2015-03-04, 3:09pm

Oh yeah Phill, they already know me at the concrete stain store. My floors are stained sealed concrete, and I helped a friend stain some of those blah concrete blocks in a retaining wall.
Old 2015-09-24, 8:18pm

I just use concrete board- buy at Home Depot for 11 dollars for a 3ft by 5 ft sheet that is 3/8 inch thick. I have two Work benches that are 32 inches by 48 inches plywood-- and a kiln bench that is 2ft by 4ft. All covered with concrete sheet. But when I can afford it I might go stainless steel.
Old 2015-10-16, 3:27pm

I have an old butchers table. Its clad in tin. I took it apart, cleaned it multiple times and put it back together. $40 from a dude on Craigslist.