LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Old 2011-03-08, 4:31pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post
I have some of those but I sew with them (yes, my treadle machine works, I like to restore ancient machinery ).

A good source is an antique mall. Look for a vendor that seems to have a lot of old cooking equipment or sewing patterns, these folks often have the old bobbins in a box on a shelf marked 'sewing supplies' or 'vintage sewing' or some such. They can usually be had for 50 cents to $1 each, cheaper if you strike gold.
Wal Mart does carry the domed ones. They are 4 for .97 cents and they work nice too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-03-08, 6:08pm
Does it come in purple?

Love the steampunk look! Darn, I was at Walmart yesterday. I'll have to go again tomorrow

Carlisle Hellcat, OGSI generator, propane
Old 2011-08-04, 12:48pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Love those! But how on earth do you put the glass on the bobbins? Do you slide them on a mandrell? * having a complete HUH moment here*

Old 2011-08-05, 4:11am
Your Royal Fritness

Suzanne I slide the bobbin on to my metal chopstick. It grabs on about 1/3 of the way down the chopstick and hold really well until your ready to pop it off with plyiers For the BOC space bead I wound a really small amount of glass aound a mandrel and and rolled it thin and then slide my bobbin on top of that. That works really well too

Old 2011-08-05, 2:35pm

Are the chopsticks just staineless steel ones I can get off Ebay?

Chris S.
PS I already melted a bobbin. LOL
Old 2011-08-05, 4:51pm
Queen Bee

I'm still not getting it, lol. Are you making the bead inside of the bobbin on the chopstick? Wondering how you get such a nice rounded bead inside the bobbin......I am apparently clueless But I think they are awesome and am so glad you shared them!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2011-08-05, 4:56pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I love what you're doing with the bobbins, especially the UFOs!

I've only done a couple, used them as core/endcap units on polymer and glass beads for a necklace I did the the Convergence 3 exhibit. Gonna do more, they're fun to play with!

edited to add: I'm in awe of how well you're melting glass in the stinkin' things, I ruined a bunch before giving up and going the polymer clay route. Good work! *s*
Attached Images

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Last edited by SharonP; 2011-08-05 at 4:57pm. Reason: more stuff
Old 2011-08-05, 5:08pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimi115 View Post

Chris S.
Yes Chris they are stainless steel ones. Try not to hit the bobbin with the flame. I add glass just to the center of the bobbin and then push it in until it fills out the whole bobbin. Once you have the glass in the bobbin it really holds up to the heat nice. Here is a picture of my chopstick with a bobbin slid on, sorry about the blurry picture.

Dawn
Attached Images

Old 2011-08-05, 5:16pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
I'm still not getting it, lol. Are you making the bead inside of the bobbin on the chopstick? Wondering how you get such a nice rounded bead inside the bobbin......I am apparently clueless But I think they are awesome and am so glad you shared them!
I make them both ways. I just posted a picture of my chopstick with the bobbin on it in the above post. Now for the Beads in Space bead I rolled a very thin tube of glass on my mandrel and then slide the bobbin on top of it. Glass sticks to the metal and holds the bobbin nice. Then I load the bobbin up with glass as I mentioned above. Then I add the blue dome onto the top of the bead. I still had some of my blue tube showing so I just added to that.

They are a bit time consuming but very fun to make. I love to make seperate small cone beads for each end of the bobbin too. They really finish off the piece. I hope that helps

Dawn

Old 2011-08-05, 5:20pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
I love what you're doing with the bobbins, especially the UFOs!

I've only done a couple, used them as core/endcap units on polymer and glass beads for a necklace I did the the Convergence 3 exhibit. Gonna do more, they're fun to play with!

edited to add: I'm in awe of how well you're melting glass in the stinkin' things, I ruined a bunch before giving up and going the polymer clay route. Good work! *s*
I'm drooling on my keyboard!!! Sharon that is so SWEET. The trick is not to hit the bobbin edges with the heat until you have it loaded up with glass

Thanks Sharon!

Old 2011-08-06, 6:38am
Queen Bee

Thanks so much for the pictures Dawn! I can't wait to try it, I have a ton of old bobbins. They are quite dirty however - has anyone had to clean them? Maybe just Dawn dish detergent and water? There seems to be some oily residue on some of them. I purchased a huge printer's drawer chest filled with antique sewing parts - my hubby wants to toss everything, but I won't let him. But of course I have no idea what to do with them either . At least now I can use the bobbins!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Last edited by BeadBlossoms; 2011-08-06 at 6:43am. Reason: spelling
Old 2011-08-06, 7:03am
Loving learning

If you have feet & other parts, there is a market for them. I've bought 3 old sewing machines myself. I have a friend who bought a beautiful old Singer that is missing the foot. Lots of need for parts, especially if any of them are for the Singer Featherweight.
Old 2011-08-07, 7:36am
Queen Bee

Well, I made a couple of bobbin beads yesterday, it was fun! I took them out of the kiln this am and they have tiny cracks in the glass along the rim. I found it difficult to heat just the glass and not the bobbin. Whenever I tried to give the bead some good heat, the bobbin sparked. Any hints?

As for the sewing parts, the problem is I don't have any idea what machine any of these parts are for I'll have to check them and see if I can spot a mfg name on any of them. Maybe I'll just put them up as a lot on ebay and see if anyone is interested.

I also have 4 Featherweights (don't ask, it was a phase) that I need to sell as well - we're going through a major de-cluttering of the basement. Uggg.

Donna

Old 2011-08-08, 6:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimi115 View Post

Chris S.
You can get them for cheap at an asian market, stainless steel, save shipping and you get them NOW.

Old 2011-08-08, 10:36am

Wow what a great idea! Thank you for sharing!

http://tutorials.kralalien.nl
Old 2011-08-08, 11:04am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
Well, I made a couple of bobbin beads yesterday, it was fun! I took them out of the kiln this am and they have tiny cracks in the glass along the rim. I found it difficult to heat just the glass and not the bobbin. Whenever I tried to give the bead some good heat, the bobbin sparked. Any hints?

As for the sewing parts, the problem is I don't have any idea what machine any of these parts are for I'll have to check them and see if I can spot a mfg name on any of them. Maybe I'll just put them up as a lot on ebay and see if anyone is interested.

I also have 4 Featherweights (don't ask, it was a phase) that I need to sell as well - we're going through a major de-cluttering of the basement. Uggg.
Donna use a smaller rod of glass so it melts faster and you can direct the flame right onto the rod of glass right above the outside of the bobbin edges. Warm the rod of glass up about an inch or two before you start too. If you are seeing sparks you have the bobbin in the flame which is not good. I wind my glass up above the bobbin edges and then roll it on my marver to push down the glass into the bobbin. Once you get close add a little glass at a time because you don't want to over fill the bobbin.

I have two (YIKES) Art Shows in the next two weeks, after that I will sit down and make a picture tutorial. For me a picture is worth a thousand words

Dawn

Last edited by Mustang Dawn; 2011-08-08 at 12:13pm.
Old 2011-08-08, 3:25pm
Queen Bee

Thanks, Dawn! I'm using my marver as well, but I think you have something there on using thinner glass - I was using thick rods thinking they would fill up the bobbin faster I'll try thinner tonight

Donna

Old 2011-08-09, 10:51am

Dawn - Your space ship beads are just too cute for words!! Very clever!

Old 2011-08-11, 7:18am
Your Royal Fritness

Thanks Lisa!

Old 2011-08-12, 4:50pm

these are beautiful, what a great idea. I am going thru all my sewing boxes. Thanks for sharing
Old 2011-08-13, 4:08am

Thanks so much for sharing such a brilliant idea Dawn.

I managed to get a box of 100 good stainless steel bobbins (I still have some antique metals ones from my grandmother that don't fit my machine, but I want to leave them along for now!) and I got them from a sewing machine repair place. In bulk they only cost me about 15c or so each bobbin, so I don't mind killing one or two in experiments.

Here is a pic of my first ones (sorry inside with the flash at night and a terrible pic). The first two are on the left and the second two I decided to install a mandrel bail so I could wear it sideways with the bobbin showing and I quite like them and are wearing one on a chain right now .

I have another couple in the kiln in different colours just for some fun.

Oh, and the pics on here of the bobbin beads are lovely, those spaceships are fabulous and Sharon's polyclay necklace is gorgeous!

thanks again for sharing such a great idea and providing us all with some inspiration.

Nat

ps. I used clear that I pushed into the base of the barrel with the end of a small graphite reamer, then worked my way out to the edge and added colour.

Old 2011-08-13, 5:43am
Your Royal Fritness

Nat I LOVE THEM!!! Thank you for sharing as well. What a great idea to add on the bail I would love to see what you have in the kiln I think I will have to go find my local sewing shop... I'm not too much of a sewer, more like a hot glue gun/duct tape gal

Old 2011-08-13, 6:30am
Formerly NurseKatie :)

How cool! I love it! So sweet of you to share Dawn!

Old 2011-08-13, 4:16pm

Thanks heaps Dawn!

Heres the ones without bails from my two sessions (which I am going to string flat onto some silk I think) :

Here is a pic in the sun of the ones with bails from the two sessions:

I had a bit of an experiment with showing black clear and white through the holes in the bobbin and I much prefer the clear closely followed by black, but maybe that is me. The bloke at the sewing machine repair shop had those bobbins that have no holes in them as well, so I might have to get some of them for a play as well, although I quite like the holes.

It was a bit of a trial to get the first layer of glass down inside at first, but if you get it in loosely then press it in it was fairly easy like you said Dawn.

Nat

Old 2011-08-13, 4:39pm
Feminist Killjoy

These are wonderful!
Old 2011-08-13, 5:15pm
Ex-lurker

Love what all of you have done with bobbins! Great inspiration....

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2011-08-13, 6:02pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Dawn this is the coolest!! Nat LOVE yours and such a cool idea to put it to hang straight! Everyones are so cool..........
I pulled out my spare bobbins and can't wait till I can get on the torch again to try them!!
Thanks for sharing Dawn!!! I just LOVE them!
sue

Old 2011-08-13, 7:04pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I love these new bobbin beads and can't wait to try it!

Old 2011-08-14, 5:10am
Your Royal Fritness

Nat I love them! Thanks for the pictures I can't wait for my Art Show next week to be done so I can play at the torch again!

Old 2011-08-14, 5:16am

I got to try some too, loved it! Here are my first two, I'm certain there will be more

http://tutorials.kralalien.nl