LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Old 2008-04-01, 5:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Parkinson View Post
LOL thanks Carol ... I hate wasting time and materials even though I know its the only way to find out some things ... wasting stuff bugs me ... although lately my waste and future frit piles are getting rather large due to experiments that I could have passed on with a little more reading here but I already spend too much time here
I know exactly what you are saying here!
Old 2008-04-01, 5:33pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

LOL Well hey, you TRIED, right? I often come up with my best techniques by just trying new stuff - the Dragon Scales were a prime example.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-04-02, 8:42am
Noobie

Im going to try this today...I just got some copper green, I have heard so much about this color!
Old 2008-04-05, 10:26am
Does that shed?

I tried out your Tut the other day Amber. I'm really liking this type of bead. Thank you,:-
Old 2008-04-05, 1:59pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

WOW Anzie - they're beautiful! You got just the right spread around the scales - very nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-04-06, 6:51am
Does that shed?

Thanks! What other colors would work well with this type of bead. I tried it with a red I have and they just didn't spread very well. And does the base bead glass make that much of a difference?
Thanks again for this tutorial, you guys have really helped this self taught newbie alot!
Old 2008-04-06, 8:15am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Yes, the viscosity of the base glass is just as important. That's why I use Ivory, Ochre Green or Copper for the base glass - they tend to droop enough to spread the scales.

I have had successful scale dot formation with the following colors besides EDP:

Lauscha Olive
Lauscha Steel Blue
Vet River Rock
Enameled Stringer - Dark Ivory base rolled over any color enamel

Old 2008-04-06, 10:39pm

Oh I bet enamel stringer would be cool. I don't have the Lausha Steel Blue or Olive. And I am so in love with River Rock I don't want to put anything on top of it.
I bet that would offer hundreds of great colors!

Old 2008-04-06, 10:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie View Post
Im going to try this today...I just got some copper green, I have heard so much about this color!
You are going to fall in love with it. It's a wonderful color to put on top of just about anything in stringers, or under just about anything as a base bead. But Copper Green is so expensive I like to put down clear or white first for a base bead with the CG on top. Clear looks cool as the first layer of a bead IMHO.

CG is also fun for putting dots of colors on top that will spread, like Periwinkle, and EDP.
Makes me think of Mosaic Green. I'm hoping they still make it, 'cause I've never tried it, and I really want to!

Last edited by ziggys; 2008-04-06 at 10:47pm.
Old 2008-04-07, 9:31am

Thanks for the How-to I love these beads.
Old 2008-05-29, 7:21am

Deborah, those beads are georgeous!
Mary
Old 2008-05-29, 11:40am

Default river rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggys View Post
Oh I bet enamel stringer would be cool. I don't have the Lausha Steel Blue or Olive. And I am so in love with River Rock I don't want to put anything on top of it.
I bet that would offer hundreds of great colors!

I was wondering if Amber meant to put the River Rock on top of the bead not as a base, as in the top color of the silvered ivory dots. That way, you are not really using much River rock?
Old 2008-06-02, 9:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadDesignsByCarol View Post
I was wondering if Amber meant to put the River Rock on top of the bead not as a base, as in the top color of the silvered ivory dots. That way, you are not really using much River rock?
Oh! Your right. Now that I read it again I see what you mean. Can't wait to try that one out!
Thanks for letting me know.

Old 2008-06-03, 1:01pm

Ok, I tried River Rock on top of Ivory, (and the dots of SIS) but didn't really like it. I think the contrast or bright colors looks better. And it didn't spread well for me.

Tried a base of Effetre Trans. med Amethyst with EDP on top and the dots spread like wild fire!

Oh and Mark, I'm just like you. I don't want to waste any glass until I know what I'm doing. But how will I know what I'm doing until I waste glass??? I'm still trying to figure that out.

Old 2008-07-07, 9:18am
Noobie

I love how these turned out, Thanks for sharing Amber.
I used Ochre as a base, sis and epd . They do look better etched. I tried it with copper green and it didnt turn out at all.
Has anyone experimented with any of the Reichbech (sp) glasses?
Im going to try some purples, pinks and blues today. Ill post pics if they turn out ok.
Old 2008-07-07, 5:41pm
Noobie

Ok, this is what I tried..the Reinbach colors did not work for me at all. I tried a transparent, blue, pink and purple. The colors would not spread and the SIS overpowered the colors. Same for the vetro. blues, turquoises and moretti's blues and turquoises...I tried rods that felt rough. I think I will just need to get the laushasha steel blue.

I really like the EPD..I found if I work the EPD in a really low, really oxidizing flame it wont devit. It takes a lot longer to work the bead, but the results are well worth it. Im going to etch these and try to post some pics tomorrow.

Last edited by cherie; 2008-07-07 at 5:44pm.
Old 2008-07-11, 2:18am

Cherie, Thanks for letting us know. I'm totally hooked on these. It's one of the few sets I've made.
Did you try any of the opaque Riechs? I will if not. I don't have steel blue either.
You've convinced me to etch mine. I love the EDP too. It seems there is a lot of control over the color of EDP by how hot you heat it. I like the pinks I get instead of the dark violet. I'll try a low oxy flame so I can keep that color without the devit!
Did you try a Tranparent Amethyst base?
Hope to see pics.

Old 2008-07-12, 7:09am
Noobie

Yes..I just love how these turn out with the EPD..I have been putting two dots of EPD..After I layer the first dot I melt it some then add anther dot..I get really purple dots....My next glass order steel blue is definantly on my list. I didnt try any of the opaque colors of Riech, but if I get a chance to torch today I will. I want to try some pinks next. I will try the EPD for a more pink..that would be pretty I think.
Old 2008-07-13, 3:35pm

Re-hi Cheri, To get the pinks from EDP I don't heat it much, or let the glass swirl and droop. Forgot to clarify that. But that way the silver looks silver, and doesn't turn black. I get very dark purple with black outlines, when I really heat it up and swirl in a neutral flame.
I'm going to try two dots of EDP now. Thanks!

Old 2008-07-27, 9:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightCat View Post
I added a video demo of Amber's tutorial to my hotglass/youtube collection. I used some different materials because I needed to use what I had on hand so it isn't exact. If you are interested in seeing an amature take a stab at this bead style, here it is -> Dragon Scale Bead

Thanks,
Ross - hotglass

Great job on your videos!!! I'm just starting and have watched most of them. They are very very helpful!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! I'll definitely be trying these beads.

One question (Naos, Nightcat, anyone that wants to answer)I have is about the silver leaf/foil. Is there a special kind that I need or do I just buy silver leaf? The reason I'm asking is that there appeared to be a couple different kinds (not different brands, but something was different about them). I was unable to figure out the difference.
Old 2008-07-28, 7:59am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Ricky - Silver Leaf is best. Foil is thicker and tends to clump vs. the nice spread of the leaf.

Old 2008-07-28, 1:19pm

Thank you!
Old 2008-11-19, 7:01pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Bumpety bump bump

Old 2008-12-04, 3:06pm

Last edited by Eduardo; 2011-06-28 at 12:35am.
Old 2008-12-11, 10:08pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Thanks, Eduardo - hope you give it a try!

Old 2009-01-02, 8:15pm
Covered in glitter

This is always one of my favorites!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-01-07, 3:02pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Thanks, Deb!

Here are a few new ones I created recently, using Lauscha Steel Blue and Lauscha Olive for the scale colors. Base glasses used were Vetrofond Wasabi (Green Ochre) and Effetre Curdled Ivory.

They look good shiny, too!

Old 2009-01-14, 7:39pm
still in my jammies

Amber, thanks so much for posting this tut!
I love your latest dragon scale beads, they're gorgeous!

Here is a dragon scale bead I made last night by following the directions in your tut, except that I used silver foil instead of silver leaf. It has a base of curdled ivory, the silver-wrapped ivory stringer (with foil), and dots of EDP. I melted the dots in but didn't really heat and gravity swirl them. I etched it though!

The orange-y colors in the EDP are really pretty. I think it turned more orange because of all the silver from the foil.
Thanks again for sharing this tut with us, Amber!

~
~
~

Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties. -Erich Fromm
Old 2009-01-21, 6:29pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Karolen - they're gorgeous! I love the colors you got!

Here's my version with EDP. It's on a Copper Green base, using the SIS (with silver leaf) and EDP dots...

Old 2009-09-01, 12:40pm
TravelLight&Don'tRush

Keep coming back here to remind myself to make these dragon beads...

Tags
generous, inspiration