Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-11-08, 6:29pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Question Quick Disconnect

I'm going to be replacing the flashback arrestor on my propane tank with one that has a built in quick disconnect. My question is, at the end of my torch session, do I have to bleed the hose (ie: burn off the propane) before I disconnect?
I know this may seem like a stupid question, but I couldn't find any information on the subject and thought this would be a good place to ask.
I'm moving out of the garage this week, and into my new studio, where, like a good girl, I will be keeping my propane outside where it belongs...
And thank you so much to everyone who has contributed such important safety information in this section!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2005-11-09, 4:03am
Safety ALWAYS

Actually, if you are using flashback arrestors, they should be mounted on the torch side of the hose, not the tank. The reason is to eliminate the flashback AT THE TORCH (caps for emphasis) -- you don't want any flash travelling up the full length of your hose.

Yes, propane should always be bled out of the system at the end of each session.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-09, 5:44am
Mmmmm....Raku

Mike, Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question! But I have to say, now I feel like an even bigger dork.....You mean I've had my flashback arrestor at the wrong end of my hose all this time? I thought it's purpose was to keep the flame from reaching the tank, and that's where it naturally fit in line with things, between the regulator and the hose. (ie: fittings and such)
So in effort to not ask another stupid question I started looking at everyone elses studio pictures in hopes of catching a glimps of how it connects on the "torch side" and all I see is the hoses hooked to the barbs on the torch just like the way I have mine set up. I guess there's just no avioding the next *set* of stupid questions.....
Where's everyone elses flashback arrestors? Do you have a photo of how it's supposed to connect to the torch side? I'm so sorry to be a pain, but I really want to get everything set up the proper way.

Old 2005-11-09, 6:32am
Safety ALWAYS

No, you are not a dork - it is a very good question.

The whole purpose of a flashback arrestor is to prevent flashbacks from reaching the tank. Where better to put them, then right next to the torch where the flashback starts?

If the FA (flashback arrestor) is at the tank, and you have 25 feet of line, you have 25 feet of possible places where the flashback "could" penetrate the hose, causing a flamethrower effect.

No, it really needs to be right at the torch to be totally effective.

Quick disconnects on the other hand can be at either end, and many times, people have them at both ends. Just be sure to get the proper QD's - they are available for torch end and regulator end. Don't use a torch end on your regulator and don't use a regulator end on your torch.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-09, 7:19am
Mmmmm....Raku

Thank you so much, Mike!! You even answered the question I forgot to ask!
I wanted to be able to run the hose through my window, but didn't want to leave my hose outside when disconnected. So I'll use my FA on the torch end, and get a QD for my tank end. This way, when I tell people that I'm doing "Mach II with my hair on fire" it will just be a figure of speech!

Old 2005-11-09, 9:15am
Gentleman of Leisure

There are two types of flashback arrestors. One style mounts at torch other style mounts at regulators. The difference is the combination of male/female connectors as to direction of fuel flow through arrestor (one way only) if you use a arrestor designed for torch end of hose at regulator, the flow direction and connector combination would actually block flow from/at regulator and visa versa...

Quick disconnects (alone) are not generally directional but there is probably a recommended way to connect them. IF you have QD that have built in flash back arrestors by all means use them at tank end (if that is what connector/flow combination dictates) and add second set of "torch end" FB arrestors at torch connection.

Flashback arrestors and quick disconnects usually have some type of indicators (arrow?) showing actual flow direction so you should not have a problem determining by flow direction which end of hose they go at by connector combination.

Dale M.

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-11-09, 10:17am
Mmmmm....Raku

Thanks Dale! The original FB Arrestor that I bought when I first set up my torch is for the tank (regulator) end. Then not knowing they even made FA's for the torch end, I got a combo FA / QD for the tank end again. So I'll go ahead and use the new combo at the tank so I can bring my hose inside when I disconnect, and get a new FA for my torch end. And yes, I know about the flow arrows...mine are stamped nice and clear. Someone should really write a book called "Lampworking Safety For Dummies". I'd be first in line to buy one. But meanwhile, it's nice to know that guys like you and Mike are looking out for us. Thanks again!

Old 2005-11-09, 10:20am
Gentleman of Leisure

Ahem....

www.artglassanswers.com

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-11-09, 10:54am
Mmmmm....Raku

Hey! That's even better than a book! (Although you may be sorry someday, as you roll your eyes and think, "Oh no, it's that chick with all the questions again!")
Thanks Dale!

Old 2005-11-09, 11:45am

Hey where can you get Quick Connects with built in Flashback arrestors?

I have Flashback arrestors, but going to setup a second torch and would like Quick Connects with built in Flashback arrestors.

I have seen Flashback arrestors and seen Quick connects, but I have not seen Quick connects with built in Flashback arrestors.
Old 2005-11-09, 12:03pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Frantz Art Glass and Arrow Springs both carry the combo Arrestor / Quick Disconnects for the tank (regulator) side. Still haven't found any for the torch side though. If anyone knows where I could buy the torch side arrestors, I'd appreciate the info.

Old 2005-11-09, 12:14pm
Safety ALWAYS

Robert - locally, try Oxygen Service in Sauk Rapids, if they don't have them, then try Central McGowan over by Tenvoorde Ford in St. Cloud.

Old 2005-11-09, 12:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
Robert - locally, try Oxygen Service in Sauk Rapids, if they don't have them, then try Central McGowan over by Tenvoorde Ford in St. Cloud.
Mike what about auralens.net?

Of course I checked there first. the site has a section for Regulators and supplies for Oxygen and fuel gas regulators, T-Grade hose sets, and quick disconnects/backflow preventers. But only the regulators are avaiable to add to cart.
Old 2005-11-09, 1:15pm
Safety ALWAYS

We don't have flashback arrestors, only QD's with backflow preventers, which are not the same thing.

Personally, I don't believe that glassworkers using surface mix torches need them, so we don't carry them.