Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-11-01, 2:59pm
Feverish Little Minx

Default When should I use a respirator?

I consider myself a beginner lampworker, but I'm starting to experiment with various techniques that may or may not require a respirator. That got me wondering...which techniques require the use of a respirator? (e.g. fuming, enameling, etc.)

Thanks,

Amber
Old 2005-11-02, 6:58am
Safety ALWAYS

Fuming, enamels, frit - both using and grinding. Cutting your glass into usable lengths. Any time you create glass dust or glass chips. Using high metal content glass where there is the possibility of metal vapors being produced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-02, 9:14am
Feverish Little Minx

Very timely response! My frit order just arrived this morning, so I think I'll stop by Home Depot after work and buy a respirator. Mike, do you have any specific recommendations?

Thanks,

Amber
Old 2005-11-02, 9:36am
Gentleman of Leisure

Taken for larger article by Vince Henley on ISGB forum....

3M 8233 N100 Particulate Respirator. This respirator is effective against particulates and metallic fumes from torch work. It is NIOSH certified to be 99.97% efficient and is specific for heavy metals such as lead, cadmium and arsenic. It is not certified for use in atmospheres containing oil aerosols, but almost no lampworking studios will have atmospheres with oil aerosols. This would be the disposable respirator of choice for lampworking. It is inexpensive, about $7.00, and has a reasonably long life and a comfortable fit.

3M 8293 P100 Particulate Respirator. This respirator is functionally identical to the 8233 described above and is also NIOSH approved. In addition, the 8293 is certified to be used in atmospheres containing oil aerosols.. Most lampworkers will not need this characteristic, but if the 8293 is available and the 8233 is not, then it is a perfect substitute. The price is similar.

Here is link to whole article.

Respirators-ISGB Forum

Dale M.

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-11-02, 9:50am
ManBearPig

The 3M 8233 is what I use. We actually buy them in bulk here at work, so some of them "accidentally" make their way home with me.

Old 2005-11-02, 9:57am
Feverish Little Minx

Dale and Chad:

Thank you both for your recs! I'm printing out your notes and taking them with me to Home Depot!

Thank you for making it easy for me!

Amber
Old 2005-11-04, 12:55pm
Feverish Little Minx

Update: I went to Home Depot Wednesday night, but they did not have any 3M respirators. They did have AOSafety Niosh rated N95 particulate respirators, so I did buy one of those. I'm still looking for the 3M. I'm a safety girl.
Old 2005-11-04, 1:16pm
Safety ALWAYS

Brand is unimportant, filtration of particle size IS. The N95 won't handle the smaller particles, keep looking for an N100.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2005-11-04, 1:20pm
Feverish Little Minx

That's what I was afraid of. I will keep looking.

Thanks,

Amber
Old 2005-11-10, 5:07pm
Feverish Little Minx

Update: I got tired of calling around town looking for an N100 mask, so I decided to try looking for one online. I recently found out that Mike just started selling them on his site: www.auralens.net - so I ordered from him.

Thanks Mike!

Amber
Old 2005-11-11, 6:55am
Safety ALWAYS

Thanks Amber! Here's the direct link to the respirator page: http://www.auralens.net/bs_dustmask.cfm