Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2005-12-15, 12:18pm
Seeker of Beauty

Default Bead Photography Kit

Hi There,

I ran across this photography kit for beads on eBay ($275) and their web site ($299).

I was wondering if anyone has purchased this little item and if it is worth the money. It certainly looks like a stellar package Since it is winter here, I need a way to get great pictures without being able to go outside and take them.

http://store.tabletopstudio-store.com/bephkit.html

Have a great day,

Lloyd
AKA BurningScentsations

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-12-15, 12:45pm
Etched Metal Rocks...

Hi Lloyd...

I had the same problem (only the hot weather of AZ in the summer was the reason) so I did break down and buy the setup...It arrived quickly and when one bulb in a lamp didn't work, they sent me a replacement immediately. My pictures improved dramatically with the lights and the tent (I use the light panel on some things not on others...) I know there have been threads here about other options that people have put together themselves, but I know with my time constraints, I would not have done it myself and been happy. This had everything I needed (except for more TIME).

Lisa

Old 2005-12-15, 1:27pm
Drawn to the Flame

Hi Lloyd,

Look at the photo studio in a box kit at ritzcamera.com
it is only $100 and I have taken great pics with it!

Love,
Teresa
Old 2005-12-15, 6:49pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

I bought mine separately to save money. Light cube and 2 light stands are from Amvona by bidding, got them quite cheap, and their stuff are awesome and high quality. My photoflood's reflectors & cordsets are from Smith-Victor and the daylight bulbs are from Tabletop Studio.

I also tried Cloud Dome before, but I sold the whole set because I find it inconvenience (I had to lift the dome all the time to fix the jewels under it).

Hope this helps!

Old 2005-12-15, 7:38pm
ManBearPig

I made my tent for $20. Anyone that wants the plans, let me know...

Old 2005-12-16, 11:58am
A True Woofer

I bought the whole kit n' kaboodle from Table Top Studios. I love it. I think my photos come out great now. And I'm not the kind of person with the patience to do it myself. And I tried the rubbermaid tub with the autoshop clip-on lights prior to buying the professional kit and the difference is night and day. Here's a sample pic. I did buy a background piece of paper that is gradiated from white to black. I think it rocks.

Old 2005-12-16, 12:57pm
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Hi guys, just want to share more info, I found this set, its pretty cheap considering its got Smith-Victor photoflood kit, and its a complete set, perfect for bead and jewels maker: Cheap & Great Set

take care!

Old 2005-12-16, 6:26pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

I just got my "photo studio in a box" from Amazon for 72.00 free shipping. It's great and has everything you need.
Edie
Old 2005-12-19, 9:46am
Seeker of Beauty

Default Photo Tent Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrr
I just got my "photo studio in a box" from Amazon for 72.00 free shipping. It's great and has everything you need.
Edie

Starr,

I'm looking seriously at this package since it much closer to my budget. While I will probably add some items from the more expensive kit down the road, this looks like a good setup.

Can you give me the dimensions of the light box? It does not seem to list them on Amazon.

Also, How did you get it for $72? I'm seeing it for $99, which is still a good deal.

Thanks,

Lloyd
AKA BurningScentsations

Old 2005-12-20, 6:52am
ManBearPig

Just for reference, I made this one for $20 ($35 with the lights) and it's virtually the same thing as the one on Amazon, only larger.

Old 2005-12-20, 7:45am
Seeker of Beauty

Chad,

Wow, that is really cool. I wouldn't even think about making something like that. Where did you get the diffusing cloth/bag?

I guess I should be more adventurous, but I've had a number of projects that I've attempted just kind of blow up in my face.

While I have not problem making beads and artsy items, when it comes to practical stuff like this, it just doesn't come out.

I was able to find the Photo Studio In A Box at a local Ritz camera and bought it last night.

Unfortunately, with my last minute Christmas stuff and a trip to the gym, I didn't get a chance to play with it yet.

Take Care and Happy Holidays,

Lloyd
AKA BurningScentsations

Old 2005-12-20, 8:55am
ManBearPig

The fabric is rip-stop nylon that you can get at most any fabric store. It's the same thing people make those flags out of that you see hanging in front of houses.

Old 2005-12-20, 9:45am
Seeker of Beauty

Chad,

Thanks for the info. I will have to keep this set up in mind for future if I need to a larger tent or another type of diffuser.

Thanks again,

Lloyd
AKA BurningScentsations

Old 2005-12-21, 9:58pm
Seeker of Beauty

Default Thank You!

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who submitted suggestions and information in this thread. The Photo Studio-In-A-Box looks like a big improvement over my other indoor lighting setup I used last winter.

Here's a few pics of beads that I took using the diffuser and lights. I need to adjust the camera a bit to get the exposure right (I adjusted the color in Fireworks to correct it a bit), but overall the beads look pretty cool.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Lloyd
AKA BurningScentsations

Old 2005-12-22, 9:59pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Lloyd, sorry I didn't get back before you bought the photo studio in a box. Your beads look good, but the shadow in the second pic is a bit dark, are you directing the light infront, or behind the bead?
Edie
Old 2005-12-23, 7:18am
Seeker of Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrr
Lloyd, sorry I didn't get back before you bought the photo studio in a box. Your beads look good, but the shadow in the second pic is a bit dark, are you directing the light infront, or behind the bead?
Edie
Well, I'm kind of experimenting at this point. I haven't really been able to come up with a consistent lighting scheme.

I've tried lights to the side, bounding off the top of dome and from behind and front simultaneously.

I'm also playing with a lot of camera settings to determine the best way to do it.

All of the pictures I took last night turned out to be crap. I'm getting really grainy pictures, but I didn't have any problems the first time I used it on the beads above.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Lloyd
AKA BurningScentsations