Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

View Poll Results: Nikon coolpix which camera?
990 1 14.29%
4300 2 28.57%
4800 3 42.86%
other Nikon 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-05-22, 3:21pm

Default Nikon coolpix 990,4300,4800??

ive been told to go for the 990 big raves about this camera, but i want to go for the higher optical zoom, which should i go for?
Old 2007-05-22, 4:01pm
Shine your bright side!

If you are shooting mostly for web posting the 4800 with opitcal zoom is fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-05-22, 4:34pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Hey Angie . . . I use a 4300 and love it. You can check my website to look at my pictures, they typically turn out pretty good with little adjusting needed

Old 2007-05-22, 4:53pm
Type ZZZ personality

I had a 4300 and I loved the macro shots it took, but they have a common problem with the focusing mechanism freezing up. Mine did and thanks to AmEx's double warranty thing I got my money back. It would have cost too much to repair. You might want to check on reliability on any model you get.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2007-05-23, 5:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton View Post
Hey Angie . . . I use a 4300 and love it. You can check my website to look at my pictures, they typically turn out pretty good with little adjusting needed
Wow yea Ginny ....very clear pics and close ups too!
Old 2007-05-23, 5:38am
Sorry for party rockin'

Thanks!
I had a Coolpix 775 before this one, so it was an easy decision since I knew it worked well and I was familiar with the buttons/icons, etc. I use a light tent and all I do is set my quality & size, make sure the macro is on and shoot away. I'll slightly sharpen and brighten my pix with an editing program, but that's about it!!

Patty - - I had never heard of that problem!! I got mine on Ebay so I guess if it ever craps out I'll have to replace it.

Old 2007-05-23, 10:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton View Post
Thanks!
I had a Coolpix 775 before this one, so it was an easy decision since I knew it worked well and I was familiar with the buttons/icons, etc. I use a light tent and all I do is set my quality & size, make sure the macro is on and shoot away. I'll slightly sharpen and brighten my pix with an editing program, but that's about it!!

Patty - - I had never heard of that problem!! I got mine on Ebay so I guess if it ever craps out I'll have to replace it.
Ginny how far can you zoom in before it distorts?
Old 2007-05-23, 12:12pm

Ginny ive won the 4300 on ebay, cant wait to try it, if its rubbish im hunting ya down LOL
Old 2007-05-23, 1:21pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Nothin' like a little pressure

I really don't use the zoom all that often . . . . for about 90% of my photos I position my beads/jewelry in my phototent, macro is turned on, and I get fairly close to my items to take the picture. I take my pictures from the front of the tent so I can get close, not from the top shooting straight dosn like maybe some people do. The only exception would be when I'm photographing a necklace or something larger than just a small strand of beads . .. . THEN I'll probably shoot from farther away with the macro off and sometimes zoom in.
So, I'm not sure about how far you can zoom since I'm usually pretty close to my items and don't need to zoom

Old 2007-05-26, 2:41am

sounds good to me Ginny, i also take my pics from the front of the tent, when i try taking it on top its always to dark.
anyway im still waiting for the camera to arrive, will let ya know how i get on!
Old 2007-05-26, 4:12am

Ginny camera has arrived, and im playing lol, how the devil to you turn the flash off?
what setting do you use ?
Old 2007-05-27, 5:25am
Detail G-Mama!

I have the 5200 and though it's been a great camera, I'm looking for a new one now because the door for the battery has broken the latches that keep it shut! I have to use a ponytail holder to keep it shut! That's the only thing wrong with it, still works fine when the battery is engaged!

Old 2007-06-05, 7:26pm
Your Royal Fritness

I have the 4800 and love it You can check pictures out on my website home page.

Happy shopping!

Dawn

Old 2007-06-08, 12:10pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie View Post
Ginny camera has arrived, and im playing lol, how the devil to you turn the flash off?
what setting do you use ?

I just now read this!! Turn off the flash by using the 3rd button under the screen . . . . press it until you see that lightning bolt thingie in a circle with a line through it . . . . that means no flash.

I use mine in the manual setting (turn dial on top), macro turned on (the flower), white balance on the automatic setting.

Old 2007-06-08, 4:01pm

Thanks Ginny i have been using the manual and macro on and i worked everything out!
so far so good, im impressed with it
only one thing i dont like about it is... the battery!! you have to take the battery out of the camera and slot it in the charger my fuji just went straight onto the charger no fiddling about.
but i can cope with that LOL
thanks for all your help
Old 2007-06-08, 4:17pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Yeah, the battery seems to go down in power fairly easily . . . . I have an extra battery so I always have one in the camera and one on the charger.

Glad you like your camera, I really love mine