Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-04-19, 1:39pm
Glassy Lady

Default Canon Power Shot S2 IS Help please

I cannot get my Canon Power Shot S2 IS to do macro. It just won't focus down to take clear shots of my beads. I know this must be user error because this camera is supposed to be a superior macro camera. Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

I have the camera on a tripod, I have the macro button on and I zoom in until the bead is framed in the viewfinder, but it's all fuzzy. I can't figure out what's wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2008-04-19, 3:00pm

I'm not familar with this camera but I see it is suppose to be able to get real close in macro mode. Even sho you might still be getting it too close for the camera to focus. What you can try doing is move your tripod back a foot and take some more pictures. Even if you can't fill the frame, see if the image is in focus. If they are, something is not right with the macro setting. I did read one review where they said they had problems with the super macro mode where they went in real close.

Also, make sure it is in auto focus and not manual focus (unless you are manually focusing). Also select single point focusing. It could be one of the focus points is focusing behind or ahead of your objects. You want to be square facing the things you are shooting. If you are shooting at an angle, with a shallow depth of field part of the image can be out of focus and part in focus.

Mike
Old 2008-04-19, 4:09pm
Glassy Lady

Thanks Mike.

I figured it out, you can't be in auto mode when doing macro. The instruction book is awful, I had to call Canon to get it to work. Now all I need to do it tweek my photo setup. This camera takes such great pictures that the exposure is all wrong now. The joys of learning a new camera (grumble).

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2008-04-19, 4:13pm

Hmmm, good to know because I just ordered the Powershot S5I S and it will be here Monday! I am thinking I may have to remember this as it quite possible will be the same rule for my camera!

Needs updating!

**Minor Burner with Oxy Con**
Old 2008-06-15, 10:10pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Hey Mary and Alex!

How is it going with the new camera? I am looking for a new and I shop by watching other people's pics and asking questions. Taking pics of beads is SO different from other photography.