Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-04-25, 12:42pm
too many rods in the fire

Default Need an oxy regulator - will this one work?

I started on tanked oxy 8 years ago but was renting the tanks and having them delivered, which cost a grip.

Switched to two EX-15's, "Y'd" together and after a year or two, I sold my oxy regulator, thinking I would never need it again.

Well of course, once you sell it you need it, right? My DH bought me a bigger torch specifically for boro, tubing, etc. and it will run much better on tanked. My DH also has a full size tank and a truck, so now all I will be paying is for them to fill the tank - MUCH cheaper than before with the tank rental and delivery.

Anyway, I had forgotten how expensive the dang regulars are. So I looked on Amazon (where I have a card) and found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VLW3L0/...I256XXMQ170NYM

It's cheaper than any of the glass supply places, and appears to be the same thing. BUT - before I buy it, I was hoping a few of the knowledgeable folks here could take a peek and let me know if they see any issues with this working for what I need it for.

Thanks in advance!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-04-25, 1:36pm

That is pretty cheap. I havent used one but have friends that have them and use them without issue.
Old 2015-04-25, 1:38pm
Phill

I am not thoroughly versed in all of the fine points but it looks OK according to what I know.

Shawnette would be someone I would go to for an opinion if I could.

That Amazon ad mentions two listed as used that caught my attention. The $53 dollar one with free shipping from Amazon Fulfillment would be the one I would get even with the blemishes it mentions.

But I just checked over at Devardi and they have an oxygen regulator for $33. It comes with a one year warranty.

The nice things about regulators is they are either going to work or they are not going to work so getting an inexpensive one that is cleared for sale in the US is as good as spending twice as much for the higher priced models.
http://www.devardiglass.com/Torches.htm.

The glass may be somewhat shocky but the hardware they sell is just fine.
Old 2015-04-26, 8:26am
Lizard rescue squad

Although I can't vouch for the quality of either one, if cheap is what you're after, here are two very inexpensive O2 regulators on Amazon. This one is only $20, including shipping. And this one is $30, with fulfillment through Amazon, and eligible for Amazon Prime.

Brad

Old 2015-04-26, 1:45pm
Alaska Boro

Using 'cheap' when dealing with pressures in the 2000 psi range in my opinion is not a wise choice. A better choice would be to deal with a 'real' welding supply firm. Names such as Air Liquide or Air Gas come to mind.

Another option is to look on Graig's list for used name brand regulators. Victor is one brand that has a long history of use by welders.
Old 2015-04-26, 3:01pm
too many rods in the fire

well my husband picked me up a regulator when he went to get the oxy tanks filled at the local welding supply place. So now I have to return the one I bought off of Amazon. When I went in to cancel the order only 3 hours after I placed it, it told me it was already too late but the item was getting ready for shipping. So I'll wait till it comes in and return it.

but I wanted to thank everyone for the advice and information.