No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-01-24, 6:17am

Default The reason I can't make petal beads

I think...
I think the reason I can't make petal beads (like Regis AKA Magma) is because I don't understand where to put the most heat when stretching out the petals. If the petals don't lengthen much, then what am I doing wrong?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. =)
Diagrams, pointers and laserbeams are welcomed!
-Patti

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-01-24, 8:46am
Keep on keepin' on...

I'm glad you posted this thread. I have the same problem. My petals aren't very long and the tops looked chopped off.... I gave up for the time being, but I would love to revisit this and make something even half as pretty as what Regis does.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-01-24, 4:35pm

Ditto!

Mine look chopped off too...???

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-01-24, 5:48pm

same here... My petals don't have the sharp edges and defined petal, they just look blahblahblah. I've tried different color combinations and then put it all away for another day.

Kirsti
Old 2013-01-24, 6:55pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I don't know how regis does it, i've had no luck with soft glass but with boro this is what I got. I first melted in the dots, then put the clear at one and and focused my heat at the other end. I also used a tool to give the petals a little push first. On this pendant the rod was attached to the thin end and when I put down my first row of dots down I melted in and then put the clear at the furthest left (rod end) and then melted in, focused the heat on the right tipping my rod down towards my table I'm not sure I'm doing it right but it did work for me..... hope this makes sense, Im really tired.
Attached Images

Old 2013-01-25, 1:36am

This might be a daft question, but did you consider buying Regis's tutorial? I've got it and it's good.

I find them quite fussy to make. You have to be very precise with the dot placement, lay the clear evenly and melt very slowly.

Makes me marvel all the more at those who make them well

For Val Cox Frit in the UK
For silver For my beads
Old 2013-01-25, 7:50am
Lampworkaholic!

Joan Garner had a free tutorial on this but I can't find it now.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-01-25, 8:13am
Rose colored glasses…√

The chopped off look is because you didn't completely cover your dot with clear. Get clear over and above your dots.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2013-01-25, 8:17am
Mr Brutus RIP

Heres Joans tutorial

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...petal+tutorial